Motorcycle license and registration

I am moving soon to Phnom Penh. Can anyone tell me if Cambodia honors an international (or USA) motorcycle license? If not, how tough is it to get a Cambodian license? Also, what is the cost of registering a motorbike? Thanks for any information!

I would also like to know how to get a license, for a car and scooter

I am not an expert and you will have better answers, but for what I know do you need a Cambodian licence, international licence are not valid. I think I have read that it is also not posible to have a scootor registered not sure about car and moto. I think only registering by dealer is possible or so. Most people don't bother to register a moto/scooter, or drive scooter registered to girlfriend or so.
I think to know that you will have to go to Phnom Penh to get Cambodian drivers licence.

But, I don't know for sure so wait for better answers, but I am not far off!

Hello.

International DL is not accepted, nothing else too, also not US.

Cambodian DL is a pain in the neck, but possible.

Here a link to more info: http://www.movetocambodia.com/living-in … g-license/

Registration has been in a thread, I will search and link to it.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

I found this information,obviously obtained from the Ministry.

"A recent law has been passed that denies any foreigner from registering a moto in his/her name. It is no longer possible to become a registered owner of a used moto if you do not obtain Cambodian citizenship.
The only exception being, when foreigners purchase a brand new, or newly imported moto being registered for the first time.

If you have a spouse, partner or someone you trust, who is a Cambodian citizen, you may register in their name.
This being said, there is no current law that states you must be the registered owner of the vehicle you are driving.

If you require this service the following guidelines must be followed;

-The new owner's Cambodian ID card must be from Phnom Penh
-The current registered owner must attend
-The seller must attend
-The current plate number must be from Phnom Penh
-Copies of buyer's, seller's and registered owner's Cambodian ID cards must be submitted
-$30 application fee (applies for any moto, of any size)

The current Department of Public Works and Transportation office for completing this service is located in Chroy Changvar.
Here; https://goo.gl/maps/4FxreWxKVJS2"

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi
Its quite easy to do and takes about a week.
best to use an agent and then you get a 1 year license for big bike
Don't need a license for scooters less that 125cc

jkenealy wrote:

I am moving soon to Phnom Penh. Can anyone tell me if Cambodia honors an international (or USA) motorcycle license? If not, how tough is it to get a Cambodian license? Also, what is the cost of registering a motorbike? Thanks for any information!

Is it possible that you live in the past?  :D

It used to be possible to give your own DL to an agent and a week later you got the Khmer DL.
That has changed since about September last year.
I know from my own experience as I wanted to extend my Khmer DL for another year, but the agent said cannot do anymore, you have to go to PP and do it there.
I have heard and read several stories about getting a DL in PP, some stories positive, some negative.
Among others a medical check is involved.

Not as easy as it used to be. I gave up my DL as I won't be driving a car anymore and my motorbike is under 125 cc.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Thanks everyone for your replies. However, they run the gamut from "Easy...no problem" to "Foreigners can not register bikes at all in Cambodia" so I am no less confused than before!

Let me take a different approach. I own an almost new Bajaj Avenger 220 here in India. I realize that in PP there seem to be only Pulsars and the omnipresent Bajaj rickshaws but I could ship the bike to PP for maybe less than buying an equivilent bike in country even after the hefty 40% import tax. Anybody know if the registration/ownership regulations any different (clearer?!) for owners importing vehicles than for expats purchasing motos in country?

JoeKhmer wrote:
jkenealy wrote:

Is it possible that you live in the past?  :D

It used to be possible to give your own DL to an agent and a week later you got the Khmer DL.
That has changed since about September last year.
I know from my own experience as I wanted to extend my Khmer DL for another year, but the agent said cannot do anymore, you have to go to PP and do it there.
I have heard and read several stories about getting a DL in PP, some stories positive, some negative.
Among others a medical check is involved.

Not as easy as it used to be. I gave up my DL as I won't be driving a car anymore and my motorbike is under 125 cc.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

I'm sorry jkenealy, I quoted the wrong one, I wanted to quote the post of matvd as he states no problem to get your DL through an agent. That is the past, not possible anymore.

As to your latest question, this was in my earlier answer:
"The only exception being, when foreigners purchase a brand new, or newly imported moto being registered for the first time."

Cheers.

Joe

Thanks, Joe...looking into that right now! i appreciate your help!

http://forum.awd.ru/viewtopic.php?f=223&t=324383 - http://forum.awd.ru/viewtopic.php?f=223&t=324383
But in Russian.  Please use automatic translation sites for read it.
In summary, you should  understand Cambodian traffic rules - https://yadi.sk/d/7yF9TC_U3LoccR
and ask how to do it in this office - https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/40305 … /104.88940

Get in touch with this lady. She is a very good helper. Really knows Cambodia laws.
call-kim.weebly.com/

Thanks, Tyler. I have contacted her. Always helps to have a local "fixer"!

JK