Driver license in Cambodia

Does anyone know how to get a driver's license in Cambodia, I know that the rules have changed, formerly authorized representatives do this, but now it will not go anymore I've heard. I need a driving license for car and motorcycle, I have both Swedish and Thai driving licenses now.

I'm interested in how to to, where to do it and the cost.

If anyone knows, I would be very grateful.

Hi Manschett

Cambodia driving license
It's not difficult to get a driving license in Cambodia.

The laws changed on January 1st, 2016 and now drivers who are driving motors that are 125cc or smaller do not need a license. Unfortunately, it's not yet clear if this also applies to foreigners. Many expats don't bother to get a license, and just pay (or avoid) the fines when they are stopped. But getting a driver's license in Cambodia isn't very difficult, and although the fines for driving without one are currently small, in the future the penalties for driving without a license will likely be more severe. Note that an International Driver's License is not recognized in Cambodia. Also note that if you get into an accident while driving without a valid Cambodian license.

What you need to apply for a Cambodian driver's license:

5 passport photos
Passport with current visa
Valid driver's license from your home country
Fee in US dollars, $35 (although agents may charge an additional fee of up to $20)
If your license is not in English or French, a translated copy notarized by your embassy

Where to apply for a Cambodian driving license.
The Department of Public Works and Transport can issue driver's licenses that are valid for one year for $35. The turnaround time is usually remarkably fast, sometimes just 24 hours. You will get a provisional license first, and then a month later will get your “real” license. Five-year licenses are no longer available for foreigners.

The Department of Public Works and Transport
106 Preah Norodom Boulevard, Phnom Penh
Tel : 023 427 845: 023 427 862

Ok, thank's for a very good answer. When I have the license in Cambodia once, do I need a driverlicense from my home country again when I update a new year, or is it enough with that I allready have a Cambodia driver license?

Hi Manschett

Every country have different Law (term and condition ) for issued for driver's license, so Cambodian Licence will not valid for your home country. if you want to drive any motor in your home country without any interruption then you should have your home country driver's license,

Yes, I know, but since the rules in Sweden changed last year regarding the renewal of driving licenses, I will not be able to get a new driver's license in Sweden when the current one expires, because I have been published from Sweden for many years and have no other affiliation to Sweden now than I can get a passport and retirement from there. So I based on what you wrote I need to have driving licenses from my home country to get a driving license in Cambodia. But when it's time to renew the Cambodian driving license, I no longer have Swedish driving license. So my question was whether to have a driver's license from my home country even when I replace the Cambodian driver's license when it expires. Or is it enough for the first time? And I have Thai driving license, I can not use it to get the driver's license in Cambodia.

I know it sounds messy. :)