COVID-19 and expatriation in the Philippines

W9XR wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:
W9XR wrote:

Yesterday sitting on our balcony I saw a guy walk down the street, stop and go through our garbage.
Maybe next time he will try a home invasion.

Expats, the hungry know where you live, be prepared.

Home invasions can happen anytime anywhere. I'm not worried about that happening to us here in the Philippines during the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ). I would be worried if we were in the US where gun ownership laws are lax, and minimum age for purchasing a firearm is either 18 or 21.

Convenience stores with less security might get looted. But this situation is not exclusive to the Philippines, despite it being a third world country. It can happen anywhere in the world. After Hurricane Katrina struck, many shops were looted for basic necessities, such as food, water, medicine, diapers, etc

Dear Fil American Mom . . . .

You sound so defensive to me, It's not a comparison of the times who is safer America or Philippines.

To quote a famous bank robber (1930 to 1940) Willie Sutton, why did you rob banks? he replied that's where the money is. He carried an unloaded pistol because he didn't want to hurt anyone and besides he said you can't rob a bank on charm & personality.

When you talk about gun laws in the US, you are presuming only criminals have guns.

Now while in the states, I've never seen an armed guard at a 7/11, never seen any kind of guard. I'm sure many of the owners kept a loaded gun behind the counter.

Never seen an armed guard at malls, the closest thing to a guard is represented in the movie: Mall Cop. Never seen an armed guard at Walmart, only guard at some banks is an old man with a uniform. My wife & I never walked  through metal detectors, or had personal searches entering into businesses like here in the Philippines.

Why is it in the Philippines you have such security during the normal times?

You say you would not be worried about home invasions in the Philippines. I can assure you some of the rich in the Philippines have armed guards, that's a very good deterrent.

If Willey Sutton was here today, ask him why rob expats? He would say that's were the food/money is at.

Agreed!

I am not allowed to own a gun in the Philippines, but if I return to the US one of the first five stops I make will be the gun store.

Where guns are outlawed only outlaws have guns.

Anyone who is too stupid to understand that is too stupid.

Hitler approves of gun confiscation by the way.

W9XR wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:

Home invasions can happen anytime anywhere. I'm not worried about that happening to us here in the Philippines during the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ). I would be worried if we were in the US where gun ownership laws are lax, and minimum age for purchasing a firearm is either 18 or 21.

Convenience stores with less security might get looted. But this situation is not exclusive to the Philippines, despite it being a third world country. It can happen anywhere in the world. After Hurricane Katrina struck, many shops were looted for basic necessities, such as food, water, medicine, diapers, etc

You sound so defensive to me, It's not a comparison of the times who is safer America or Philippines.

When you talk about gun laws in the US, you are presuming only criminals have guns.

I'm not trying to defend either country. I'm just stating that I, PERSONALLY, feel safer here. And that shirt happens anywhere in the world. And never in the post did I presume that, in the US, only outlaws have guns.

Back in the US, our upstairs neighbors kept harassing us. They were loud. They were annoyed that our baby was crying. They called the police on us saying that we were abusing our child. When the police came, they saw our healthy boy, our pantry and refrigerator overstocked with milk and baby food, toys, child safety devices everywhere, including a carbon monoxide detector, even though at that time, they were not legally required by CA.

The neighbor had a gun. I was scared. It wasn't only once that they called the police on us. The situation triggered post-partum depression.

There were other issues with the neighbor. I'd like to stop here. Those were really really bad memories.

I wish I had my reliable M-16 (auto),/  Here all I can do is : I have padlocked my 8ft perimeter fenced gates / Have stones placed at various places around the house/compound & I have a few 5ft metal poles tucked away in 6 different places around the house...+ I one next to my bed!
Pse don't take this advice lighthly things can get out of control very fast!

Chances of being killed by a licensed gun owner in the US are maybe about 1/100 of the chances of being struck by lightning. And then when it happens chances are that you deserved it.

A Sheriff in Houston had a deputy whose gun was taken by a criminal who shot the deputy with it. This Sheriff said on live TV that this was the fault of lax gun laws. Really? Your deputy loses his gun to a criminal because of lax gun laws? What a load of crap.

Gun rights exist in the US to protect the citizenry from tyrannical government that will do anything for power. Now they get an object lesson.

Self defense is a basic human right. No one else is going to do it for you. The police will make a report when you are dead.

Ask the family of Brian Terry where his killer got the gun used to kill him (hint: he got it from some of the biggest gun control fiends on earth).

The American left think that the man in this video who shot the bad guy is the bad guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiyU3XSN9eE

manwonder wrote:

I wish I had my reliable M-16 (auto),/  Here all I can do is : I have padlocked my 8ft perimeter fenced gates / Have stones placed at various places around the house/compound & I have a few 5ft metal poles tucked away in 6 different places around the house...+ I one next to my bed!
Pse don't take this advice lighthly things can get out of control very fast!

I got my secret weapon aka wife   :D

srsly

FilAmericanMom wrote:
W9XR wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:

I'm not trying to defend either country. I'm just stating that I, PERSONALLY, feel safer here. And that shirt happens anywhere in the world. And never in the post did I presume that, in the US, only outlaws have guns.

Back in the US, our upstairs neighbors kept harassing us. They were loud. They were annoyed that our baby was crying. They called the police on us saying that we were abusing our child. When the police came, they saw our healthy boy, our pantry and refrigerator overstocked with milk and baby food, toys, child safety devices everywhere, including a carbon monoxide detector, even though at that time, they were not legally required by CA.

The neighbor had a gun. I was scared. It wasn't only once that they called the police on us. The situation triggered post-partum depression.

There were other issues with the neighbor. I'd like to stop here. Those were really really bad memories.

It sounds like a racist neighbor. Unfortunately they are everywhere now. I hope you found peace at last!

Sad to say..but my last stand/resort will be with my non army trained b.i.l & my personal bolo....My partner/kids have been instructed to run for cover & stay put in our out-house bamboo kubo!

:|

robal wrote:

It sounds like a racist neighbor. Unfortunately they are everywhere now. I hope you found peace at last!

One thing I learned, the quality of your neighbors is determined how much you spend on rent.

manwonder wrote:

Sad to say..but my last stand/resort will be with my non army trained b.i.l & my personal bolo....My partner/kids have been instructed to run for cover & stay put in our out-house bamboo kubo!

Self protection: If they have a knife run towards them, if they have a gun run away.

W9XR wrote:
robal wrote:

One thing I learned, the quality of your neighbors is determined how much you spend on rent.

If you lived next door to Bill Gates you would reconsider that philosophy.

W9XR wrote:
manwonder wrote:

Self protection: If they have a knife run towards them, if they have a gun run away.

Agreed...but I'll still try a body tackle as a last resort!...cause there is always a chance that they hold the weapon just to intimidate you & may not necessarily be prepared to take the shot...& if you run they can run after you and shoot you in the back! (Remember this is in the event they intrude into my fenced perimeter)....I'd run zig zag for my life if this happened outside!

:D

My neighbors in SF were not racist. It's more like one obnoxious rude boy met a girl so much like him. These two apples did not fall far from their trees. They also attracted people like them. Unfortunately for us, that boy and his girl decided to live one floor above us. And party hard and square dance and sing loudly with their friends and family . . . in a flat above ours which was in a pleasant neighborhood walking distance from Golden Gate Park, Ocean Beach, and the Palace of the Legion of Honor. Our place was not a low-income community.

It was not about race.

FilAmericanMom wrote:

My neighbors in SF were not racist. It's more like one obnoxious rude boy met a girl so much like him. These two apples did not fall far from their trees. They also attracted people like them. Unfortunately for us, that boy and his girl decided to live one floor above us. And party hard and square dance and sing loudly with their friends and family . . . in a flat above ours which was in a pleasant neighborhood walking distance from Golden Gate Park, Ocean Beach, and the Palace of the Legion of Honor. Our place was not a low-income community.

It was not about race.

Well maybe not! / but how about this?
3 Apr 2020 · Two French doctors proposed the idea of testing a potential coronavirus vaccine in Africa. Their comments sparked ....!

FilAmericanMom wrote:

It was not about race.

Ok then. It´s resolved.

robal wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:

It was not about race.

Ok then. It´s resolved.

and without any help

Philippine Destiny wrote:
robal wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:

It was not about race.

Ok then. It´s resolved.

and without any help

Yup

Every human being is a racist! It is innately part of us! First instinct is self preservation. Protect yourself and your family! From any and all others! Those others come from everywhere with every color and culture! How much racism is in us depends on what we have had to react to! It took me a long time to realize I was a racist and i was flabbergasted by how bad it was! The best I can do is to try rein it in and be very careful how I speak and act when dealing with issues I may disagree with! You will never be rid of it so be aware of it! robal...based on where you live I would think you're not a flaming racist! Living there speaks volumes a
bout your cultural adaption! Doubt if anyone there ever called you a racist!
One thing I clearly see here on this site is a lot of misinterptation and misplaced blame! As you all know from some of my counterdictary statements! So nice to have all you're opinions here as you open up a lot of issues that should be addressed!

robal wrote:

I hope you found peace at last!

I have. Despite all that happened between us and our former neighbors, I actually feel like writing them a thank you note.

Thank you so much for being so obnoxious, that it was unbearable for us to live at the apartment rental below yours. Without you, we would not have moved here to the Philippines, where we now live a better life, and have a new addition to our family.

manwonder wrote:
W9XR wrote:
manwonder wrote:

Agreed...but I'll still try a body tackle as a last resort!...cause there is always a chance that they hold the weapon just to intimidate you & may not necessarily be prepared to take the shot...& if you run they can run after you and shoot you in the back! (Remember this is in the event they intrude into my fenced perimeter)....I'd run zig zag for my life if this happened outside!

Unfortunately, we have to take an active shooter training at the office. The policeman said the hit rate at 20 feet by a trained shooter is 17% in a confined area. Throw anything (i.e. water bottle, banana or your mother-in-law) towards at the shooter would cause the shooter to miss.
Home invaders are usually not the smartest and they may have an old . 22 pistol that cannot shoot straight anyway. Probably the best chance of survival is to run away.

Jackson4 wrote:
manwonder wrote:
W9XR wrote:

Unfortunately, we have to take an active shooter training at the office. The policeman said the hit rate at 20 feet by a trained shooter is 17% in a confined area. Throw anything (i.e. water bottle, banana or your mother-in-law) towards at the shooter would cause the shooter to miss.
Home invaders are usually not the smartest and they may have an old . 22 pistol that cannot shoot straight anyway. Probably the best chance of survival is to run away.

I have my stones/bolo & will assess the situation hopefully in seconds & respond or RUN for my dear life!
Many stoners do lurk around and they can be very unpredictable to handle!

Thanks

Now now children.
We do not need the bickering.
Breathe in and sing.

Let it go, let it go.....

Wanna build a snowman?
😀

Maybe we should all calm down and read this...

On April 14th, 2020 within a South Korean Laboratory they found the cure...

Tested the vaccine on several volunteers been infected in different stages of the virus.

Two out of three ain't bad (ML) but one turned into it's pre historical animal like status

I didn't use the word Zombie because The Cranberries did it better than me (RIP)

Now you can get paranoid...

I'm still fine because this is all just made up

- Nobody will Get into your house,
- None is racist, just scared. YOU
- Some Show signs of beeing in lockdown. Yes,
- Still human, or Zombie. I don't know

Just be the strongest you ever dreamed of. Don't Show you are weak. But if you are weak than Show it but let others help you and not critizise them.

WD part 2020 or many other Z-Movies

and by the way. What is the most dirtiest thing we touch every day??

Yup its not easy!
Best to be prepared, stay safe & hope for the best!
Small precautions/safety measures do go a long way!

Ladies and gentlemen, could I request a little calm and losing insults and bad language, please.
Also posting conspiracy theorists, especially when the truth is well documented, is a bad idea.

Hello everyone,

Please note that some posts have been removed from this topic.

Thanks,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

President Duterte : No end in sight for lockdown. ECQ to be lifted only if cure against COVID-19 is available

https://manilastandard.net/mobile/article/321509

NYC that has one of the highest death rates and cases say they have an 80% recovery rate for people on ventalators

They only have enough money to last thru May and they borrowed that

Mortality rate of COVID-19 patients on ventilators
Mortality rate of COVID-19 patients on ventilators
Coronavirus Warning cordon tape and men wearing protective suit
Written by Physician's Weekly Blogger, Skeptical Scalpel

Although at the time I wrote this over 33,000 people had died from COVID 19 infections worldwide, the numbers of patients dying in intensive care units and on mechanical ventilation is unknown.

We have some early published data on percentages which vary widely. A paper from China involved 710 Covid-19 patients; 52 were admitted to an ICU. Of the 22 who eventually required mechanical ventilation, 19 (86%) died. Another early study reported 31 of 32 (97%) mechanically ventilated patients died.

80% of NYC's coronavirus patients who are put on ventilators ultimately die, and some doctors are trying to stop using them

Sinéad Baker Apr 9, 2020, 6:56 AM

coronavirus ventilator
A patient with COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus, wears a snorkeling mask converted into a ventilator in Paris on April 1. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier/File Photo
Some doctors are trying to reduce their reliance on ventilators for coronavirus patients because of reports of abnormally high death rates for patients using the machines, The Associated Press reported on Wednesday.
New York City officials have said at least 80% of coronavirus patients who were on ventilators in the city died, the AP reported. Unusually high death rates have also been recorded elsewhere in the US and the world.
Ventilators are typically used only for the worst-affected patients, and there are no drugs approved to treat COVID-19, so this could help explain the higher death rate.
But doctors have also said ventilators can damage the lungs — and while the machines may be an effective way to treat other respiratory illnesses, some are looking for alternative treatments.

Okieboy... not true

FilAmericanMom wrote:

It was not about race.

This is weird... So you live in a nice neighborhood in one of the most expensive cities in the world and the police can come over into your house and inspect the fridge and pantry? This is scary...

The Philippines Government is no different from Governments all over the world, faced with the COVID-19 Virus Pandemic.
They don't know what to do.
But they have to do something.

You may be right in today's context!
However "FilAmericanMom" is talking about her traumatic experience some 12 years ago!

Just Saying!

:/

Expat0001 wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:

It was not about race.

This is weird... So you live in a nice neighborhood in one of the most expensive cities in the world and the police can come over into your house and inspect the fridge and pantry? This is scary...

Look who runs San Francisco and it explains everything.

Seattle has the same kind of insane people running it. They say it is racist to wash human poop off the sidewalk.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/07/ … sensitive/

That is what happens when stupid and deranged people are given power. They set out to turn the world into a reflection of their own psychotic internal world.

And they let criminals run the streets and punish law abiding citizens who defend themselves.

And the police in those cities are more corrupt than most of those criminals.

According to the SF Chronicle HALF the force have records

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/ope … 033893.php

But keep in mind that those are the stupid ones that got caught. The smart ones (more dangerous ones) have no record because they know how to get away with it.

One of the most expensive cities in the world and look at it
https://www.google.com/search?q=san+fra … mp;bih=612

Hell on earth.

:o

Expat0001 wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:

It was not about race.

Seattle has the same kind of insane people running it. They say it is racist to wash human poop off the sidewalk.

That is what happens when stupid and deranged people are given power. They set out to turn the world into a reflection of their own psychotic internal world.

And they let criminals run the streets and punish law abiding citizens who defend themselves.

But keep in mind that those are the stupid ones that got caught. The smart ones (more dangerous ones) have no record because they know how to get away with it.

Hell on earth.

If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
Gonna meet some gentle people there

Scott McKenzie

mugtech wrote:
Expat0001 wrote:

Hell on earth.

Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
Gonna meet some gentle people there

Scott McKenzie

I visited twice for projects. I walked the bridge. They paint it often but was is still covered in last words.