Mistakes expats make in the Philippines

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Philippines? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in the Philippines to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

I actually moved twice here- and because of the mistakes made during the first time, i started again by preventing them.
Number one mistake is probably to hang around too much with other expats.

Stranded Shipscook wrote:

I actually moved twice here- and because of the mistakes made during the first time, i started again by preventing them.
Number one mistake is probably to hang around too much with other expats.

Same here, moved here twice but my mistake was to be with the wrong woman. I learned rather quickly and did not make the same mistake twice. Have a wonderful wife and family now so can't complain.

We live in an area that is not isolated but there are very few expats close by. I do enjoy visiting with other guys from most any country though. I've noticed in all my years here that when going to SM Clark or any other mall there are many-many expats and or vacationers but most won't even make eye contact let alone visit. I have yet to figure out or understand why. The exception to this is the VFW post in Angeles. There, most people are friendly and open to conversation.

Yep, the most common problem posted everywhere is filipinas lying, stealing, and cheating.

As a German I was used to take rules serious and here in the Philippines I was not only following all rules myself but was expecting the Filipinos to follow their own rules and laws as well. However, there is a lot of "should", "can" or "may". As a foreigner, just follow the rules most Filipinos also follow. Nothing more is necessary.

rule nbr 1 do not think western ,think pinoy
rule nbr 2 adapt to pinoy thinking and doing things
rule nbr 3 do not start a relation before mutual trust is establist
rule nbr 4 enjoi life and relax not all ppl you meet are scammers,but stay aware ,some are
do not expect ppl to be awaiting for the big westerner salvator ,they are not.
did i make mistakes ? yep.
will you make mistakes ? yep .
advise, learn from it !
am blessed i had a lot of positive expieriances here and i still have each day .
if you come to an assian country klinging to western values and behavior your wrong ,this is not the europ or the us so forget about that, ADAPT! and ya will be fine .
greets Dirk.

ps :in europ ppl always say abouth immigrants they have to adapt ,so do as you expect from others and adapt or stay were you are!

Great post Dirk. Years ago I got a contract to work for the Zambian Government. No idea where I would be based. It turned out I was based deep in the bush in a tiny township. It was a real culture shock. To begin with it was hard, the local custom of a shrug and yeah maybe tomorrow, the desperate even total shortages of things I and my family had thought of as essentials. Took a while to get used to it, but once we accepted things and realised it was us who needed to adapt, it became a great life. We learned to adapt to electricity one hour a day and when water appeared at the taps, we saved and stored it. Some could not change their thinking and lived in hell till their contracts ended.

I have seen folk, expats in other SE Asian countries who are so bitter and angry about the "faults" of their host country, totally failing to attempt to adapt their thinking. Sure nowhere is perfect but we are lucky in being able to choose where we live and the particular cost/benefit mix

I've been here long enough to see that I made my initial entry into life here in the Philippines hard on myself.  Like another person who posted, I followed the laws and rules and got frustrated that none of the locals did.  I've dropped most of that, but I must admit that I still HATE it when people throw litter, especially overboard on the boat crossing the channel back and forth between Mactan and Olango Islands.  I also still have a hard time with the way dogs are treated here.  I adopted an "island dog" when she was just six weeks old.  She is now nearly six years of age and is the most beautiful of dogs.  Locals don't believe it when I tell them that Sophie is a "local" dog.  Perhaps it's because she is well fed, gets all her shots, gets weekly baths and is loved and cuddled.  Locals also can't fathom that Sophie actually lives in the house and that she does not have "accidents" in the house.  Oh well........

Other mistakes:

1.  Trying to cook recipes for which I cannot find at least one of the ingredients.  I have had to cull my recipe file and throw out any recipes that call for ingredients that I can't find.
2.  Thinking I can do the same number of errands in the same amount of time that it took to do them in the States.  Things just take longer to do here, and I've learned to adjust.
3.  Not making friends with locals.  Sure, there are those who are not honest, and others who are afraid to be good friends with a foreigner, but there are also some wonderful people here.  It just takes time to meet them.
4.  Trying to actually keep a schedule of when things will be done!  I've learned to be more flexible with regard to time and have come to accept that things usually take twice as long as I expect them to take.

hi all just one question i was charged 2000 php to go from International airport to Makati  Manilla 1st time oblivious yes? had no idea ? i believe it should be around 3 - 400 pesos is this about right as i will be returning on the 30th April, should i be looking for a metered taxi ?? not getting ripped off again !!

Don't use the airport taxis. I have started using Grab Taxi

Bernswaggle wrote:

hi all just one question i was charged 2000 php to go from International airport to Makati  Manilla 1st time oblivious yes? had no idea ? i believe it should be around 3 - 400 pesos is this about right as i will be returning on the 30th April, should i be looking for a metered taxi ?? not getting ripped off again !!

If you're staying in a hotel there they may have free airport pick up; many hotels do. Even if you are not staying at a hotel you can contact those that have the free pick up and most will still get you and charge around P300. At least they are safer than a taxi and you'll find out in advance what it will cost.

Regards

I have lived in Manila for 6yrs, and it was not planned. Mistakes I have made.... alot! Some basics:
Communication:
As an Australian I really struggled w this. Filipinos want to be accomodating to you, so they often wont tell you if they think you are being rude or if they do not understand you. Filipinos will say "yes" alot. Be mindful of cursing, or being too direct.
While English is widely spoken, there are many who will not understand you. Be mindful to speak simply. Taxi drivers in particular. If they go silent they are having a "nosebleed" as they say. Most get very intimated speaking to foreigners and get shy.

Heirachy:
This is really important to understand. It is part of their culture and gives them comfort. If you are causaian, you are considered elite meaning rules dont apply to you. It is hard to get used to, my advice is dont abuse it. Within their own society - titles, money and family name is highly regarded. You will be addressed as Ma'am & Sir are commonly, example Mc Donalds.

PWD's/ Seniors:
Almost everywhere you wait in lines there will be a PWD line. This is meant exclusive for Seniors or Pregnant Women.

Eating:
There are alot of western companies here, Mc Donalds, KFC etc but dont expect the menu to be the same. Rice is staple, and served w everything. Expect "western food" to taste different as you know it. If you are picky head to Rustans supermarket just be prepared to pay! Also, they put sugar in everything! Bread, ketchup.. you name it. I buy wholewheat and stick to brands I know. That said.. whenever you travel... eat as the locals eat. Fish, Pork and Chicken are the main protiens. Remember beef is imported and may not be so fresh.
My fav Filipino dishes:
My palate is pretty bland, but some of my favs are Lechon (!!!) Caldereta, Adobe.
Many dishes are based w soy sauce, vinegar or the like. Be wary of street stalls.
Cutlery: here you eat w a fork and spoon.
Drinks: Always buy bottled water, avoid ice. Never drink from the tap. Here they have  Water Stations where you can buy 2ls of purifed water for home.

Public Transport
Even if backpacking, i highly advise against many forms of public transport for very serious safety reasons.
Jeepneys are fascinating, but not safe. It is common to be pickpocketed or even held up.

Taxi Drivers will ask first where you are going. If they dont want to (traffic etc) they say no and drive off. If they agree to drive you, make sure the driver locks all doors and turns on the meter. They will expect a tip too.

The MRT railway: very conjested and also can be dangerous. Expect 1 hour waiting times to even get on.
Uber is your safest bet. While it may cost more it is safe, reliable and you are tracked by GPS. Its the only way i travel now.

Be patient:
Nothing happens quickly, is often disorderly and not always in the most efficeient way.
Filipinos are most often late, and it is somewhat expected.

Traffic will be your biggest challenge. Within Manila its all about timing. If you choose to drive at Peak hours, then expect 1-2 in the car. However if you leave say 11am it will only take 15mins.
I dont drive here and never will. It takes a certain skill!

I could add so much, but overall my advice is be aware of your surroundings and take it slow. Dont come w expectations or make comparisions. Remember it is a third world country. In all honesty filipinos are warm and accomodating but dont forget there are areas which are not suitable for foreigners.
Dress casual, secure your belongings. Finally, spend your time outside of Manila. It is beautiful. Travel smart.

Safest bet is uber. Download the app. It is reliable and you will confirm the fare before the driver picks you up. I have used them 2 years and never had a problem. If you dont want to add your bank details you can pay the driver cash.

Hi mate thanks for the advice!! how do i get onto them ??

Bernswaggle wrote:

Hi mate thanks for the advice!! how do i get onto them ??

Using Google, I found this: Uber Manila. Looks like this is the site to contact them.

You can donload their app for any phone. You book via the app i dont think they have a contact number ??

Yes.. it is very true. May be I am unlucky to meet only such type of people or it is a part of Filipino culture. I shall be happy that day I sell everything in Philippines and go back to my country and never come back again.

Get a bus. And yes don't get an airport taxi

@dirk c good morning… i fully agree with what you said. If foreigners will compare how they live from the place thwy have come from, why live here?

ADAPTING is very crucial.  Theret  may be other asian countries but Philippines is a lot better when it comes to hospitality, resiliency. I hope i can find like the way you think.

@Stranded Shipscook haaaaa...

@auculture Uber also cheat you.

got ya

Mistakes expats make in the Philippines....

Trying to change the Philippines to the same as the expat's home country.

Guilty as charged but as time goes on I am integrating/accepting and much easier in retirement when we have more time.

Cheers, Steve.

I'm glad this thread has come back to life, early posters made interesting observations.

My biggest mistake was believing I was Rich thinking my Dollar king and overspending.

After learning to convert kilograms to pounds, pesos to dollars things got better. I once bought $33 (my conversion error) worth of Pastrami or going to the mall with the family and insisting to eat at a sit down restaurant, I gave the message to my family No Fast Food.

Boy was that a mistake.

New Expats have so much to buy when settling in, often purchasing at the wrong overpriced stores. It took some time to finally live within my budget.

As we do Bob but still a great country, I'm not going anywhere, this is home now and enjoying the trials and tribulations.

Let's see what next week brings.

Cheers, Steve.

Number one,  Uber hasn't operated here for years,  so how are you getting cheated by it, tammas?

I came here for good in 2019.  just in time for a volcano and a pandemic,  lol.

Mistakes I made:

Moved to a rural town in Cavite.  Life was extremely boring, now I live in Dasma,  city life and only an hour away from the Metro.

Thinking I was rich when I first came here.  Bought a car,  monthly payment was over 17000 pesos. That hamstrung me for several years.

Trying to get my money via ATM from my US bank account.  Expensive.

Starting businesses.  First,  Internet cafe. Closed it after four months.  Lots of money lost.  Clothing store. Six months.  Ditto.  Making and delivering ice.  Lots of work, a bit profitable,  but no future.  Breeding and selling puppies.  Jury is still out,  still doing it.

Things I did/do right:

Learning tagalog.  Nothing endears you to people here like speaking to them in their own language.  And learn how to pronounce it correctly.

Don't go out partying and drinking.  I do drink,  just occasionally.

jumped into local transportation from the start.  I have a car,   but I prefer to walk, or take jeepney or bus.

Smile a lot.  I'm living the adventure of my lifetime everyday.  People respond well when you smile.