Advice about Philippines, specifically Bohol?

Hello.  Looking to move to the Philippines in a few years.  I have read a lot and a lot of conflicting information.  If anyone can answer any of these questions, I would be grateful.  I am 49, single and planning on staying that way.  Looking at Bohol because I hear it is beautiful, low crime and easy access to Cebu.  Was wanting to buy or build a house but I have decided it is better financially to rent out my condo and use the profits to live on in the Philippines then when I return to the USA in 6-10 years, I still have a place to live. 

1.  Can you REALLY live well on $1000 per month?
2.  Can you really find a great house to live in outside the city center, in a SAFE place for about $250/month?
3.   I'm a very picky eater.  I hear people invite you over for dinner all the time.  Will this cause me problems?  What about special ordering things in restaurants?
4.  If you dont have a car, can you still get around easily?
5.  Most places I've seen look like they come furnished.  If I store most of my goods, can I still ship some stuff over cheaply?  (ie my high end audio/karaoke equipment (it's 20 years old), computer, personal effects.)  Also, did I read you cant import a car or DVD's or silver bullion?
6.  Will I have trouble bringing my medications into the country.  I take one pill that I cant do without so if they confiscated it, it would be a huge problem.  I can get prescriptions and letters from the Veterans Administration.
7.  Although 99% of you are probably heterosexual, do you think being gay will be a problem?  I'm not flamboyant and act like any common man.  I left the "gay lifestyle" behind me 20 years ago.  But I dont try to hide it either if anyone asks. 
8.  Cobras??  How realistic is this a problem?  What about sea snakes if going to a sandy beach?  I've seen some youtube videos that were pretty horrifying.  Other insects and spiders?  Is it necessary to sleep with a net just to stay alive?  Dengue fever?
9.  What about the weather?  Is it feasible to live your life without Mother Nature forcing you indoors for months at a time?
10.  Islamic extremists?  Is Duterte wiping them out yet?  I have read they were encountered on Bohol before looking to kidnap people.
11.  Do they speak English in most places except the most rural?  As a typical American, I dont know any foreign languages.  I am willing to try to learn but I'm old.
12.  I have read you can keep your cell phone and use MagicJack to receive calls without it being international?  I have read you can rent a PO Box with a private company to use as your "USA address" and they will box up and ship your mail over to you? 
13.  Any idea how much a flight to Hawaii is in case I need to go to the VA to see a doctor once a year?
14.  Anything I didnt ask that you think I will want to know based on my other questions??

Thank you very much for your input!
Rob G.

with 1000 dollar i think in Bohol you can live

Hi. Fixfireleo.

I am 68 years old an since retiring in 2014 my Wife and I split our time between Germany and Bohol. I cannot answer all your Questions But I will answer what I can.

1. We live here comfortably. But not extravagantly, on 800-1000 Euros a Month

3. Although I can Eat anything. But being a picky Eater shouldn't be a real problem.
When we are invited to Dinner most meals are Buffet style so you can just pick what you want. Supermarkets here sell both American and European Food, But at a price.
4. Bohol has a good Bus Service. Philippine style (No Timetables). There are Town to Town Aircon Vans, and in towns Tricycles, Taxis, and Hubble Hubble. (Pasenger Motor Cycles)
5. We have sent a lot of Personal effects fro Germany to Bohol. Mostly in Balykbyan Boxes.
Without any problems, and they are delivered 'Door to Door

6. We bring 8 months Medicament supplies from Europe everv year, without problem.
Most prescription Drugs are also available here.
7. No.
The philippines probably has the largest percentage of Gay People in the population in the World.
8. In the four Years I have lived here. I have probably seen only Three snakes, and neither was a Cobra. Snakes are not aggressive and will run away if they hear you coming. I have swum
with Sea Snakes in Mindoro, and Palawan. They are beutifull facinsating creatures.
Our House is screened against Insects. If we go to a Neighbours House in the evening that isn't. We just use Lotion. I can reccomend “Off for Kids“.
9. Having worked outside all my Life in Europe. The weather here is no problen at all. Even when it Rains. It's warm Rain.
10. I havent seen a Islamic Terrorist, all the time I've been here.
11. Most people speak some English. But you are right. Not everyone in Rural Areas do. Except the Children.
14. Bohol is a great place to live. But it's the Philippines. Not the USA

fixfireleo wrote:

Hello.  Looking to move to the Philippines in a few years.  I have read a lot and a lot of conflicting information.  If anyone can answer any of these questions, I would be grateful.  I am 49, single and planning on staying that way.  Looking at Bohol because I hear it is beautiful, low crime and easy access to Cebu.  Was wanting to buy or build a house but I have decided it is better financially to rent out my condo and use the profits to live on in the Philippines then when I return to the USA in 6-10 years, I still have a place to live. 

1.  Can you REALLY live well on $1000 per month?
2.  Can you really find a great house to live in outside the city center, in a SAFE place for about $250/month?
3.   I'm a very picky eater.  I hear people invite you over for dinner all the time.  Will this cause me problems?  What about special ordering things in restaurants?
4.  If you dont have a car, can you still get around easily?
5.  Most places I've seen look like they come furnished.  If I store most of my goods, can I still ship some stuff over cheaply?  (ie my high end audio/karaoke equipment (it's 20 years old), computer, personal effects.)  Also, did I read you cant import a car or DVD's or silver bullion?
6.  Will I have trouble bringing my medications into the country.  I take one pill that I cant do without so if they confiscated it, it would be a huge problem.  I can get prescriptions and letters from the Veterans Administration.
7.  Although 99% of you are probably heterosexual, do you think being gay will be a problem?  I'm not flamboyant and act like any common man.  I left the "gay lifestyle" behind me 20 years ago.  But I dont try to hide it either if anyone asks. 
8.  Cobras??  How realistic is this a problem?  What about sea snakes if going to a sandy beach?  I've seen some youtube videos that were pretty horrifying.  Other insects and spiders?  Is it necessary to sleep with a net just to stay alive?  Dengue fever?
9.  What about the weather?  Is it feasible to live your life without Mother Nature forcing you indoors for months at a time?
10.  Islamic extremists?  Is Duterte wiping them out yet?  I have read they were encountered on Bohol before looking to kidnap people.
11.  Do they speak English in most places except the most rural?  As a typical American, I dont know any foreign languages.  I am willing to try to learn but I'm old.
12.  I have read you can keep your cell phone and use MagicJack to receive calls without it being international?  I have read you can rent a PO Box with a private company to use as your "USA address" and they will box up and ship your mail over to you? 
13.  Any idea how much a flight to Hawaii is in case I need to go to the VA to see a doctor once a year?
14.  Anything I didnt ask that you think I will want to know based on my other questions??

Thank you very much for your input!
Rob G.

Hi Rob.

Well a slap on the back for researching early and definitely research is required and sites like this while giving many answers and experiences also require the individual to use our best friend google to get up to date info but can I suggest boots on the ground along with your research will win the day, get your hands dirty mate.
Another member has contributed good info and relevant to many of your questions and those already living in PH. but as said do your homework. While I am only a "newbie" compared to many I chose PH. some 7 years ago for retirement for many reasons, some economic, some an agreeable culture and climate but mostly because I love my partner and his family,,,,,,,,, all,,,,,,well most of the 5,000 of them.
Yes I am gay and find I am more accepted in PH. than in Oz. In PH. we are never questioned, even though homosexuality is illegal, is very normal, though sometimes talked about occasionally scorned,accepted and a very comfortable environment to feel secure and the same can not be said for my home country and now with legal  battles finally overcome in Australia we are still raised to question and I find need to defend my sexuality with my peers though far removed from 20 or 40 years ago. PH. is far more accepting and honestly they don't give a sh1t as long as you are a decent human being.

Some of your questions.
I can only answer after working in PH. for 2 x 6 months stints, living in Manila for 12 months in a rented condo with my partner after those contracts, family, socio economics, a beautiful "english speaking" country and yes even in the provinces, all can understand.
$1,000.00 per month for me is unattainable given our lifestyle but would suit many.
Picky eater? Celiac? Whatever. You will survive no matter the country. Special ordering? mate pick your restaurant, cafe no different to our home country.
Cars and bikes you don't need if you live in a major centre, getting around is extremely easy, in a province it can also be easy, get a few tricycle, jeepny drivers contact details and as a westerner you will get transport, go further afield and good luck, independence comes with wheels whether a bicycle or other modes of transport.
Your prized 20/50 y/o possessions dictate your current situation, let go and purchase better,  do without, nostalgia while holding a place in our lives/heart in reality is material and from my perspective has been an anchor to hold/comfort a zone that can easily be let go or for the trinkets that you will look at every 5 year send by balakbayan boxes so you can look at your sh1t whether for security or as said nostalgia.
Accomodation, research and definitely boots on the ground and barter to your death, long term will save money.
Meds? depends on how recreational they are or simple necessity and as I have read over the years most are available in one form or another in PH, again do the hard yards as moving  to PH. involves copious amounts of research.
Cobras? I would be more worried about some dude wielding a 38 or a 44 than the rarely seen local fauna and flora.

I have given some suggestions, others will offer more insights for the rest of your questions, honestly as said Boots on the ground instead of  For me as a Gay man in PH. offers all I long for but yes my answers came from spending many years "on the ground" and while I have no idea of your travel arrangements it sincerely sounds like you have never, perhaps once visited this great country you are looking to retire to.

I ask you Rob, have you ever visited PH? if yes where and your experiences, if not definitely visit and then perhaps review and reflect on your questions asked here, so many, so naive from appearances.

Sorry to be blunt but from one, only me I am sure other readers would agree no matter the country a serious expat would already know the answers to questions asked no matter the country, as said google is our best friend.

Sorry for the rant but to me and as a plebeian see the same questions asked year after year by people either too lazy to get off their derriere or simply trying to generate conversation for lack of what should we call it?
LOL, many will contribute an answer but honestly why are you choosing to live in PH instead of Mexico or Romania?

Cheers, Steve.

Thank you so much for that EXCELLENT reply!  It was very helpful and needed information!  (Especially the part about the cobras!  lol)  I just need to decide where I want to go.  Right now, Bohol is looking good but I would like to check out several areas before I decide.  Since I have decided to rent instead of building a house, I guess that gives me the freedom to move whenever I want, so even if I dont pick the best place I can move again.  Thank you, have a great time!

Rob

Steve,

Thank you for your reply.  I have not YET been to the Philippines.  I have been considering countries for a long time.  I have settled on the Philippines due to the cost of living, the beautiful beaches and scenery, access to all the other countries in that area of the world that I want to visit (Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan, Thailand, etc) and a large reason is because English is so commonly spoken there.  Unfortunately, I dont speak more than half a dozen words of Spanish, so that rules out Central and South America for me.  Canada is far too cold but if they ever transplant Canada to the middle of the Caribbean, I will go there.  :) 

I fully intend to come visit the Philippines once or twice (preferably) for a month at a time and check out different places before I move there, I just want to make sure I know as much as I can before I get that far.  I have a few years before I can come.  I have a small dog with a bad heart.  He wont eat when I am not there and he is in a strange place, even with family.  He barely survived me going on a 7 day cruise.  I cant leave him to come to the Philippines.  Once he is gone, I intend to move.  He will be 13 in February, so I dont expect it to be more than 2-3 years. 

I do have a few questions I would like to ask you that I would rather not put out there for the world to see.  If you dont have answers, you might know who to refer me to.  I dont see any sort of private message function on this website.  Could you possibly email me at [email protected]?  Thank you Steve for your great advice!

Rob

Oh btw....FYI, you cannot buy a house anyway. You as a foreigner can not own land. Do your choice is either condo or rental.... Enjoy !!!

I talked to a realtor in the Philippines and there is a way around that.  I forget the name but they have a program where you have a Filipino sign as the "owner" but you have all the rights to use, build, sell, etc.  The "owner" doesnt actually have any legal rights.  I do have a friend who is a dual citizen however to do that I would need to sell my condo in Florida and after I move back to the US, I would have spent basically all that money and would not have a place to live.  If I rent out my condo, I should clear about $800-$900 profit, which I can use to live on in the Philippines and still own my condo free and clear when I come back to the US.  Plus, that way if I want to move several time, it's no big deal.

My Lord you have a lot of worries.  I have lived in Bohol for several years. Bohol has really changed and grown. It is not the sleepy island it was 10 years ago. New airport, many car dealerships. New malls and much more traffic. With all of the above comes higher rents.
There is no gay life style in Bohol.
E-mail with more questions.

Forgot to mention the Philippines and Guam are the only countries outside the USA with VA approved benefits.

I am not a service connected disability, so I read on their website that I cant use the clinic in Manila.  I wonder, however, if I saw a doctor via tele-confrence and they sent me prescriptions, if I could pick up my medicine at the clinic or get it mailed to me from there??  I wish I had an email for them.

Look up online Doctors Hospital and Chong Hua Hospital in Cebu City.

fixfireleo wrote:

Steve,

Thank you for your reply.  I have not YET been to the Philippines.  I have been considering countries for a long time.  I have settled on the Philippines due to the cost of living, the beautiful beaches and scenery, access to all the other countries in that area of the world that I want to visit (Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan, Thailand, etc) and a large reason is because English is so commonly spoken there.  Unfortunately, I dont speak more than half a dozen words of Spanish, so that rules out Central and South America for me.  Canada is far too cold but if they ever transplant Canada to the middle of the Caribbean, I will go there.  :) 

I fully intend to come visit the Philippines once or twice (preferably) for a month at a time and check out different places before I move there, I just want to make sure I know as much as I can before I get that far.  I have a few years before I can come.  I have a small dog with a bad heart.  He wont eat when I am not there and he is in a strange place, even with family.  He barely survived me going on a 7 day cruise.  I cant leave him to come to the Philippines.  Once he is gone, I intend to move.  He will be 13 in February, so I dont expect it to be more than 2-3 years. 

I do have a few questions I would like to ask you that I would rather not put out there for the world to see.  If you dont have answers, you might know who to refer me to.  I dont see any sort of private message function on this website.  Could you possibly email me at [email protected]?  Thank you Steve for your great advice!

Rob

Pat on the back Rob. Go for it and ask, research and then some, visit and savour the flavours,,,,,,, many times before your final decision to move, Personally I can think of better countries to retire to but as said my better half is Pinoy and our choice is made, for you the world is your oyster given your time frame and a supposition that you are single.

Good luck always and I am sure all members here can offer advice and experiences based on their time and lives in PH.

Cheers, Steve.

Steve,

I would be interested to hear what choices you would make.  My "musts" are:

1.  Live WELL on $1000-$1200 per month
2.  Tropical with beautiful beaches
3.  English speaking country
4.  Reasonably safe (meaning not Iran or North Korea)

I am looking at living there for at least 6 years.  I might then do 2 in Portugal then (unless I fall in love with somewhere) coming back to the USA.

Thanks for your input!  I wouldnt be surprised if there are places I havent even considered yet. 

Rob

fixfireleo wrote:

Steve,

I would be interested to hear what choices you would make.  My "musts" are:

1.  Live WELL on $1000-$1200 per month
2.  Tropical with beautiful beaches
3.  English speaking country
4.  Reasonably safe (meaning not Iran or North Korea)

I am looking at living there for at least 6 years.  I might then do 2 in Portugal then (unless I fall in love with somewhere) coming back to the USA.

Thanks for your input!  I wouldnt be surprised if there are places I havent even considered yet. 

Rob

Hey Rob, My choices are obviously not your choices and as said we could not live on US 1K per month, (or should we say choose not to) many do and with even less and live very comfortably. I like you and others have looked at budgets for years but having spent a lot of time there know the costs involved with our choices.
So with this in mind Rob, we already own our house there, (yes absolute beachfront, 2,500 M2 of land) we will own a car and 2 motorbikes. No mortgages or loans, no rent, the cost to run these three things, fuel, maintenance, insurance, tyres etc. food, smokes, grog, power, internet, mobile phones, philhealth, house maintenance, water and gas, Barangay rates and taxes, dining out and a plethora of other minor costs,,,,,,, Ben always comes in at PHP 55 to 60K. I come in at PHP 75 to 80K per month, (western thinking I suppose) so we split the difference PHP 70K so AU 1,790.00 per month or US 1,400.00. Remember we eat well, drink lots and smoke even more, lol.
Then the rest of the budget: replacing the car, motorbikes, major household expenses like the dead televisions, laptops, gaming computer, the refrigerator, washing machine etc. replace the water pump every 5 years, repaint the house every 10 years etc. we allowed PHP 30K but probably 35K per month, so now at PHP 100K. US 2K per month.

That was our basic needs budget, on top of that there is the 1 or 2 K we give to family to help out, 10 to 20K for holidays depending on where we go and how long but that is not really related to a living there budget.
In Oz it costs us AU 80 to 100K to maintain this type of life style. You can get plenty of info/opinions here on this site or other expat sites, Numbeo is another that is or can be vaguely right.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Tropical with beautiful beaches can be found in abundance in PH. It really depends on what services and amenities are close by, your needs etc. Remember the further south the (generally) higher the temp and humidity. Many expats go for higher elevations like Tagatay or Baguio for a cooler climate but they are not on the beach. On the whole living in a province is by far cheaper than living in a big city, no different to any country, rent, transport, food, shopping, hospitals, nightlife all have to be weighed up depending on needs and life choices.

English speaking is definitely a bonus but remember many things get lost in translation and while you may think you got your point across and are understood,,,,,,,, look closely at the end result. Don't forget the frustrations with what is the norm in western countries and what you receive or have to go through to receive, as we say "more fun in the Philippines" and something you get used to, hey what's the hurry as I have retired is a good philosophy and works for many including myself.

Reasonably safe? You can also google this and will be surprised (maybe not) to find there are many western countries less safe than the Philippines. From experience,,,,,, reading only from expats, travel warnings etc. stay away from south western Mindanao especially the Sulu Sulu archipelago and plenty of other places down that way, while many expats live there very well would not be for me, others
i am sure will shoot me down or chime in with regards to my opinion/observations.

As said Rob, research while yes definitely on expat sites, Google is my best friend and yes finally boots on the ground, get your hands dirty and savour the flavours, finally if you only intend to be in PH for 4 to 6 years sincerely don't waste your time buying as you will have a hard time selling, overall renting is cheaper if not long term.
I noted in a previous post that you mentioned putting a locals name on the title though you own it, good luck with that, a very high risk venture that smacks of collusion/anti dummying law where you could end up losing all, possibly prison, be very careful going down that dark path. Land can only be owned by locals and while you may trust, many have been brought to the alter, I doubt you want to experience a legal battle with regards to property in PH. You, me as westerners will lose. As said rent is cheap and also allows you the freedom of experiencing other localities within the Philippines or even other local Asian countries.

Hey only my opinion but look forward to others input and your further delving Rob.

Cheer, Steve.

Yeah,  I agree that renting looks better.  Plus that way I can move around a bit if I want to. 

Just wanted to ask if I dont smoke, dont drink and I expect to eat out most meals, (like the idea of the wet markets), maybe have someone come in for 4 hours a month to clean, probably wont get a car, just use public transport (or if that wont work or is too expensive, just get an older car), get internet but not necessarily even cable television and my entertainment consists of travel, shopping, movies and gaming, do you still think it will be over $1200 or do the cars, smokes and drinks cost you $200 per month?

Oh, and not sure yet about medical.  I get my care from the Veteran's Administration, so I get all my meds through them only caveat is if they will allow me to use tele-medicine.  If so, I will get blood work in Philippines and send them the results.  If not, I will need to fly maybe to Hawaii at least once per year to see a couple doctors.  (I think Hawaii is the closest VA.  I cant use the clinic in Manilla because I dont have a service connected disability.)  I wish we had a base in Oz, since US and Oz are like BFFs.

Rob

PS:  Sorry for keeping the conversation going so long, you are just giving me a lot of great info!  ;-)

fixfireleo wrote:

Yeah,  I agree that renting looks better.  Plus that way I can move around a bit if I want to. 

Just wanted to ask if I dont smoke, dont drink and I expect to eat out most meals, (like the idea of the wet markets), maybe have someone come in for 4 hours a month to clean, probably wont get a car, just use public transport (or if that wont work or is too expensive, just get an older car), get internet but not necessarily even cable television and my entertainment consists of travel, shopping, movies and gaming, do you still think it will be over $1200 or do the cars, smokes and drinks cost you $200 per month?

Oh, and not sure yet about medical.  I get my care from the Veteran's Administration, so I get all my meds through them only caveat is if they will allow me to use tele-medicine.  If so, I will get blood work in Philippines and send them the results.  If not, I will need to fly maybe to Hawaii at least once per year to see a couple doctors.  (I think Hawaii is the closest VA.  I cant use the clinic in Manilla because I dont have a service connected disability.)  I wish we had a base in Oz, since US and Oz are like BFFs.

Rob

PS:  Sorry for keeping the conversation going so long, you are just giving me a lot of great info!  ;-)

Hi Rob, yes I offer info and only what I know and yes what I have read, observed and actioned over many years, I gave you a basic tool to work with, "Numbeo", suggested getting off your derriere and actually doing some research, putting your needs and wants together and then costing it.
Yes all of what you ask, smokes drinks car and bike running costs are over US $ 200.00 but we have no rent and eat at home most of the time, eating out costs money and though we do visit cafe's and restaurants we also eat at favoured mum and dad roadside eateries where we spend 150 to 200P for the 2 of us but you need to be careful with these type of places. Remember we have no rent and I would allow at least PHP 10K for a decent place in one of the provinces or 20K in a city. Other members on this site live in or have experience with regards to your desired destination "Bohol" and hope they chime in with regards to living and renting costs.

My better half is a prolific gamer and while we have affordable readily available lightning quick internet in Oz he knows it is not the same in PH. even if we pay the highest fastest fees, generally the internet sucks in PH. even if you live in Manila so for him our move back will be frustrating at that level and as our house is in a provincial area sad to say he is going to be possed off.

I seriously recommend that you take the time and go to Bohol and discover for yourself, while I have personally not been there I have been to countless similar places, beautiful yes it simply is the Philippines with countless "perfect destinations" but don't have high expectations when it comes down to the nitty gritty stuff, you will probably be disappointed, it is certainly not utopia, as said we go there for family/my retirement and can then afford 20, 30, 40K a year for travel, frivolities that would be difficult to secure in OZ, you have no need at that level from what you have disclosed. Rob for me PH. is definitely not the US or Australia, the south of France is affordable like so many other cheap countries. Do yourself the courtesy and compile a budget of what you want and feel will make your life comfortable within your country and then do a comparison to other countries, not only S/E Asia.

I dearly hope other members will take up this thread and offer their two bobs worth.

Cheers, Steve.

Thank you very much for the help.  I have been using numbeo for quite a few months.  Great tool, if it's even close to being accurate.  I will definitely be going to the Philippines before I move over there.  Just getting the research out of the way first.  I will check out South of France also.  Thank you again for the help.  You are amazing.

Have a great week.

Rob

fixfireleo wrote:

Thank you very much for the help.  I have been using numbeo for quite a few months.  Great tool, if it's even close to being accurate.  I will definitely be going to the Philippines before I move over there.  Just getting the research out of the way first.  I will check out South of France also.  Thank you again for the help.  You are amazing.

Have a great week.

Rob

And a plethora of other countries I hope, many far cheaper than the Philippines given your budget and no commitments.

Cheers, Steve.

hello, If i were a picky eater i would not go to a different country, and really not to a Island!!!you need to live in a large metro area where you would feel more at home.Second, i don't think you can live on less than about $2000.USdollars a month on Bohol, my wife and i just bought a small house to live in while our larger house is being built on mountain,i have been renting homes for about $1000. a month, and we eat as the locals eat, roadside cafe, and many family meals.I have eaten Cariboa,seaweed,red salmon, and many other fish dishes, and very much rice, but for me they do serve pink rice, since i don't care for too much white rice.as far as being gay, who cares, no one will bother you, if you don't bother them, but if you are looking for that lifestyle, you will need a big city like Cebu

$1000 a month seems high.  Are you staying in a mansion?  From what I have read, you can BUY a house for about $60000-$75000.  I had a realtor offer me a lot at $27,000 that looks out over the island of Pangalo.  They have houses on AirBnB for around $500, however according to all the articles I have read, you shouldnt need to pay more than $275 a month.  I wonder if you actually have to GO there to find these places just like I get hotels in Mexico and Costa Rica for about $40 per night but not advertised on-line, I just go there and walk around till I find a nice place. 

I really do need to get a handle on rent prices because that makes a huge difference.  I think I am eliminating Bohol simply because I remembered that I need to see a chiropractor at least once per month and from what I found on google, you have to go to a larger city (like Cebu) to find a Chiropractor.  Plus, there would be more places to eat with a bigger variety plus you could do without a car (I'm hoping) since there would be public transportation.

https://tinyurl.com/ybwhb5cjhttps://tinyurl.com/ybt8uxgd

Rob, 2 listings I found in 2 minutes, not sure if they are suitable, I simply consulted my best friend google. Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

https://tinyurl.com/ycspwcczhttps://tinyurl.com/y9ofwum7

Rob, another 2 minutes and these links. Accom from P3,500 to P50,000. Some look really good and great locations from P10,000 to P20,000.
As My dearly departed dad used to say "god helps those that help themselves".

Rob the info is there you simply need to look.

Cheers, Steve.

gbdermid wrote:

hello, If i were a picky eater i would not go to a different country, and really not to a Island!!!you need to live in a large metro area where you would feel more at home.Second, i don't think you can live on less than about $2000.USdollars a month on Bohol, my wife and i just bought a small house to live in while our larger house is being built on mountain,i have been renting homes for about $1000. a month, and we eat as the locals eat, roadside cafe, and many family meals.I have eaten Cariboa,seaweed,red salmon, and many other fish dishes, and very much rice, but for me they do serve pink rice, since i don't care for too much white rice.as far as being gay, who cares, no one will bother you, if you don't bother them, but if you are looking for that lifestyle, you will need a big city like Cebu

I think that the OP needs to enlighten us to his version of "picky eater". That could mean he eats many small meals every day or he only eats lobster. I am a picky eater, I pick and eat, I try many things all over the world and while sometimes turn my nose up initially end up trying these different offerings as the locals are consuming so it must be ok. Many excellent experiences with that philosophy and very few "I'm not eating that again" scenarios.

Whether an average bloke like me, a million or billionaire your budget dictates how and where you live and while you pay a thousand bucks a month in rent to some is excessive (to me can be realistic) to others it's cheap. We all paint our way in life and live within those constraints,,,,, "hope I put that the right way" and can live extremely well understanding and living within "a, the budget".

The OP has a budget of US 1,200.00 per month which is easily achievable given other expats can live on and are happy on 600 or 700 per month. The rest is up to Rob, the OP needs to do the hard yards and work out if he can afford to live in PH being in the "roughly" middle of the cheapest place to live/retire or live like a king in India or Laos or a dozen other countries. As said my choice to retire and live in PH. is governed by my commitment and love to my better half, if single I could stay in Oz but would probably move to the south of France, central Italy or perhaps Spain or even central Europe (too cold for me).
I have to be honest while living permanently in PH we can afford 3 to 4 month vacations, a caretaker included. Whilst living in Oz only 1 month, again budgets.

The OP has some years given his love and dedication to his best friend to decide his fate. I would also ask Rob why PH. if you have never experienced? Perhaps also to other readers why we choose this non conventional country to start again or maybe a transition, why PH? There are plenty of other countries that offer far cheaper living and less frustrations. God help us and I my be right in suggesting that we made the move for love and the dollars came later and are hopefully managed correctly.
Enough of that for now, let's hear Robs version of the state of affairs that affect him,

Cheers, Steve.

BTW sorry for the long winded post.

Thanks Steve.  When I googled Chiropractor, nothing came up on the map for Bohol, so thanks for finding that one.  I saw a lot around Manilla, some in Cebu and one in Davo and Angeles.  I use Numbeo a lot however I am beginning to doubt the accuracy since everything I am finding is closer to $500 per month.  I havent seen that site you emailed me with the apartments before, so thank you for that.  I have been relying on Craigslist and AirBnB because I know those are not necessarily rip off sites. 

I am beginning to think that I will have to wait till I go visit to get a better handle on rentals because a lot of places that cost less probably just arent listed anywhere on-line.  Maybe they have a sign in the window and that's it.  At this point, I am just trying to get as accurate a picture as I can on paper so I know how much longer I have to work before I can plan on going over there.  I'm a planner.  I planned my move to Florida for 10 years before I went. 

I also am coming to terms with the fact that, even for $500 a month, I am not going to get the size of place I expected.  Lots of the apartments/condos I am seeing on-line are closer to 500-600 sq feet where my condo now is 1250 sq ft.  I guess I assumed since the Philippines is so inexpensive, I would find a 2000 sq ft house with 3 bedrooms for around $300 per month.  Wake up call.

Ahhh, Steve.  So I will answer your question.  I have ALWAYS been a finicky eater.  I dont like potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, onions, any bean (except I like green beans), mustard, pickles, ketchup, on and on and on.  Some of it is texture, some of it taste.  I like meat, looking forward to lechon.  I love cheese.  Am going to have to prepare myself to not get beef that often.  I am ok with fish but usually, I choose real meat.  I know fish is going to become a much larger part of my diet and that's OK.  I do like broccoli and salad, surprisingly.  Ranch is the thing that goes on everything except ice cream.  I think you get the point.

I'm not at all worried about finding something to eat.  I have traveled and I always eat.  I just heard that you get invited to dinner all the time in Philippines and I dont want to insult anyone.  I guess I could eat before I go and just have a small amount of food while there.  The other question was, will they get upset if I "special order" food in a restaurant?  I rarely eat something the way it comes.

I would never live in India.  Sorry, call me prejudice if you want but I've known too many Indians and I just could not live there.  I've also know Filipinos and they are the exact opposite of Indians....educated, polite, friendly and open minded.  I am not going to live in ANY country where religion dominates the entire way of life.

Why the Philippines? Well, cost of living is one thing that we have been discussing however the fact that I only speak English is another.  I hear that English is prevalent in PH.  There are also some western amenities.  The beaches are absolutely beautiful that I have seen in pictures.  It looks like Bora Bora.  And although I am NOT going there looking for love, it nice to consider that there is at least the possibility and I find Filipinos more attractive than Indians or Pakistanis.  Not to mention there is a possibility I could get a gig singing in the Philippines because they love their music and I have the voice to sing professionally but in the USA, talent doesnt matter....it's who you know.  I have to love a country so dedicated to karaoke that they shot a guy for doing a bad job on Sinatra.  ;-)

I'm sorry,,but for $275-$500,you might be sharing a CR, no hot water, if you have running water, no air -con!, Can you live like this, I can ,but choose not too.i just bought small house near Jagna, I am having grills and screen installed this week, air-con , and water heater in two weeks, electric outlet in Every room, stove with oven, that is why I pay $1000a month

I'm not sure if you're still following this thread, but I've been researching Bohol as a possible retirement location for the last year or so and have run into a few resources you might find helpful for getting a feel for life there, costs, foods, the culture and almost everything else you might want to know. One of the best is a youtube channel https://tinyurl.com/y8c5zlde that pretty much chronicles a US expat's life in the Philippines for the last 6 or 7 years in Cebu, Bohol, Dumaguete and other places. His videos are filled with a wealth of information and since they are still being added to, if you have questions, you can leave a comment and Henry (the creator) will usually answer them in a matter of days. Between his videos and his related blogs, you'll have a virtual "how to become an expat in the Philippines" covering not only life there, but all the formalities, like visas, 'throw-away" tickets, etc. Even though I lived in the beautiful province of Bukidnon on Mindanao, with frequent trips to Davao and CDO for about a year a decade ago, I was able to update a lot that I had learned then and fill in many blanks I had yet to discover watching his videos.

A handy thing to know when you are trying to compare regions or cities is that they all have a class (1 to 6), based on the city's income brackets over a four year period, which will give you an idea of how they relate to each other. A class one city will have big, new, shiny high rise buildings everywhere while a class three city, not so much. other amenities like 5 star hotels and restaurants and upscale malls will follow suit. If you Google the name of a city, one of the first things mentioned will be the city's class. Another couple of assets on Google are Google maps and searching the name of a city and clicking on videos, where you will usually find hundreds of video tours of places in that city. I've watched so many that I can navigate my way around a good portion of Tagbilaran City and Panglao Island on Bohol finding the major malls, the market, the Immigration Office, some specialty stores and restaurants I'm interested in. At least when I get there, I won't feel like I'm on the moon.

As other have said, but I feel can't be over emphasized is when you are there, always remember that you are not in the US. Things will be different there. That doesn't mean they're bad or evil. they're just different. As you get acclimated and learn the environment, you may actually discover some of the reasoning behind how they do things and why things are the way they are. You will have to adjust to their way, because they are not changing for you. For instance, you may have to change how you feel about ranch and ice cream when you discover that they have a "Garden Salad" ice cream flavor among other strange (to us) flavors.

Hello fixfireleo..  You may want to reconsider Philippines on religious grounds. The church here holds massive power, it is the fourth largest business in Ph. It holds the progress back by 1 or 2 hundred years. Think of a major shopping centre completely stopping at 6pm for prayer service. Most radio station are church affiliated.

Don't hold your breath with the singing job . Every Filipino sings , from bad to amazingly good .