COVID-19 and expatriation in the Philippines

:D

robal wrote:
Jackson4 wrote:

:D
That's right! So are other things....... LOL

If you have seen Jo Koy's show in Seattle (on NETFLlX), Vick's Vapor Rub fixes everything.
This must be the cure.

Tuba (coconut palm wine) must be selling hot right now.
Be careful about 'some' local gin, they can blind you.

Tuba was delicious. But there has been  problems with hospitalizations upon drinking lambanog a derivative of palm tree wine. That´s probably the "local gin" you´re referring to with a high concentration of methyl alcohol that can lead to blindness.

because they got methanol not ethanol from their lambanog

Has anyone seen any reliable source that discusses when the ban of foreigners arriving into the PH will be lifted?  I would like to take my wife back to visit her family.

eduardo001 wrote:

I'm trying to understand all this panic because their health care system is really terrible and whole Philippines is so overcrowded so it does not help as well in current situation.  But also 2000 of 100 million people infected, seems the most dumb pandemic declared in history.

Yes, it is complete over reaction, here in Cebu City, 4 deaths so far, all over 65, in their 70's and 80's, no deaths during the last 7 days but we are in complete lockdown, go figure...

2000+ dead and 30,000+ new cases every day in USA  and it only begins to show signs of slowing down when the entire economy is shut down for weeks.

The people who do not get it are those who have not cared to look at the relevant facts about the disease.

Before the US shut down it was doubling ever 6 days. If they had not shut down the rate would have increased still more.

exponents have no mercy and they catch the unwary off guard

Let's say you start off with 2 people who have it. Let's say it sticks to the 6 day rate of doubling.

In 28 weeks every one on earth has it.

Even under a best case scenario for the R0, medical burden and case fatality rate there is no way that left unmanaged COVID19 does not result in total collapse.

Be thankful that the restrictions are in place.

Expat0001 wrote:
eduardo001 wrote:

I'm trying to understand all this panic because their health care system is really terrible and whole Philippines is so overcrowded so it does not help as well in current situation.  But also 2000 of 100 million people infected, seems the most dumb pandemic declared in history.

Yes, it is complete over reaction, here in Cebu City, 4 deaths so far, all over 65, in their 70's and 80's, no deaths during the last 7 days but we are in complete lockdown, go figure...

Infections now over 3,000, more than 120 deaths.  Would you feel better about the lockdown if more people were infected and dying?  Ask someone in NYC if it is better to over react or under react.

I encourage everyone to become familiar with this page

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I have watched it since this began. Read about the disease, what it does to people and how it spreads.

I have stated here before that I had dengue twice last year.

I had a suspicion that there is a relationship between dengue and COVID19. In fact many people who test positive for dengue (serology) are later confirmed to have COVID19. The symptoms of the two diseases can be indistinguishable. People may be aware of how that dengue can become more fatal with future infections. COVID19 may be turning out to be a lot like dengue in this respect too.

but COVID19 is far more dangerous than dengue because it requires no mosquitoes as a vector.

There are reports of people testing positive again for COVID19 after having recovered - not from being reinfected, but because the virus seeks cover in the host cells. HIV does this.

I have read that there is a possibility that a vaccine may activate the disease in those who have recovered.

That is only one reason to be cautious about any vaccine. You may be aware of how the dengue vaccine worked out.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc … S0140-6736(19)32525-5/fulltext

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/04 … hilippines

This is unknown territory.  And you need to understand it because your world will never be the same because of it.

mugtech wrote:
Expat0001 wrote:
eduardo001 wrote:

Infections now over 3,000, more than 120 deaths.  Would you feel better about the lockdown if more people were infected and dying?  Ask someone in NYC if it is better to over react or under react.

Stop the panic!!! 120 deaths is less than 0.0000011 of the population...

So what is the endgame? Total deaths in Central Visayas - 8 deaths (including 4 in Cebu City)  most in their 70's and 80's with co-morbidities. No deaths recorded in Central Visayas during the last 7 days, how many die from the Flu every year? Again, what is the endgame?

No panic, just stay home and eat.  For many here it is not much of a daily change.

Yup eat,drink and be merry while you still can!....I don't think we get back to normal' because normal was the 'problem' to begin with!

:/

Expat0001 wrote:

Stop the panic!!! 120 deaths is less than 0.0000011 of the population...

So what is the endgame? Total deaths in Central Visayas - 8 deaths (including 4 in Cebu City)  most in their 70's and 80's with co-morbidities. No deaths recorded in Central Visayas during the last 7 days, how many die from the Flu every year? Again, what is the endgame?

I don't believe the numbers from China, over 5 million left Wuhan before the lock down, where did they go? How come they didn't spread the Virus throughout China?

Spain & Italy have large numbers of visitors because of cheap vacations and airfares for international visitors. Philippines only had 8.2 million visitors, not exactly the garden spot vacation destination.

Now the reporting in the Philippines, If you ever gone through red tape getting your ARC Card, Drivers License, Bank Accounts, or Divorce a pretty good indication how things work in the Philippines. So reporting? How can anyone get somewhere with the lock down to report anything?

I'm sure there are more deaths in Tondo or the inhumane Prisons. Image the system where you wait 12 years waiting for your trial, because you can't make bond.

The Chinese Lie, the Philippines has no real idea of the infected or deaths from Corona. I can see the total lock down here, because they don't just plain know, so the safest bet is lock every thing down.

Uniform global controls across all cultures and all borders all at once.

they need that for what comes next

Philippines deaths up to 297 of the over 4,800 positive tests.  Not getting better.  Wonder how many died from covid-19 but were never tested, not in the numbers.

mugtech wrote:

Philippines deaths up to 297 of the over 4,800 positive tests.  Not getting better.  Wonder how many died from covid-19 but were never tested, not in the numbers.

for today's numbers check Philippines on this page
[link under review]

deaths today were the highest yet at 50

look at the bar charts for deaths and new cases previous to today
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir … ilippines/

daily new cases are flattening out in the low 200s far better than the 400-500 new cases per day 1-2 weeks ago

and the death rate is know to lag the new case rate in flattening out

All this can fall apart if people get careless.

Yes definitely, people will let their guard down on the account of good news re: coronavirus.
I am getting tired of lathering my hands with soap & water often for a duration longer than 20 seconds. That is a boring task.

Yep.   Severe over reaction.  If this were the Spanish flu....then yes panic.
Destroy the world's economy, and thus people s lives.

Yes I did 5 years in the PI.   You have to accept it at face value, warts and all.     Corruption, Catholic church, ECT.....    It certainly won't change in the next 100 years.

I agree with your point forign people like myself shouldn't publicly complain about all the many problems in the PI.   it's part of the package along with the other good things.

In contrast Filipinos should complain long and loud.   That and revolution are the only way their country can change.   Yes, rise up, kick out the government and Catholic church.
Sadly though , this will never happen.   Why?   Because the populace is to passive, beaten down; and resigned to their lot in life.

Jackson4 wrote:

Yes definitely, people will let their guard down on the account of good news re: coronavirus.
I am getting tired of lathering my hands with soap & water often for a duration longer than 20 seconds. That is a boring task.

I washed my hands so much, I found a stamped pass to a "Pink Floyd" concert.

Hopefully this plandemic passes soon.

W9XR wrote:
Jackson4 wrote:

All and all its just another brick in the wall.

More like being on the darkside of the moon!

mugtech wrote:
W9XR wrote:
Jackson4 wrote:

All and all its just another brick in the wall.

If you don't eat your meat you can't have your pudding.

mugtech wrote:
eduardo001 wrote:

Total lockdown , annoying and disturbing. Aside of dictatorship, in my province we have prohibition as well, liquor ban

If you fear going through withdrawal buy plenty of mouthwash, most is about 40 proof.

Ha ha....back five years ago when I was a raging alcoholic I might have had to resort to drinking mouthwash.  I just noticed two days ago that they even banned alcohol as I wasn't looking for any to buy...thank goodness I got that monkey off my back.

We have been in the Philippines  since early March (supposed to leave on the 31st).. well , we have a nice house with garden here, so I don't complain.. and frankly I feel safer here than in France. My opinion is that the good decisions have been made on time here (we are in Legazpi) to prevent the pandemic, definitely better and clearer decisions than in France.. the only thing I don't know is when and in which conditions we'll be able to go back to France.. I guess we'll still have to wait and see after lockdown is over.. I did not renew my visa and I'm intending to wait to be at the airport.. I won't be the only one!

FMONTAGNE wrote:

We have been in the Philippines  since early March (supposed to leave on the 31st).. well , we have a nice house with garden here, so I don't complain.. and frankly I feel safer here than in France. My opinion is that the good decisions have been made on time here (we are in Legazpi) to prevent the pandemic, definitely better and clearer decisions than in France.. the only thing I don't know is when and in which conditions we'll be able to go back to France.. I guess we'll still have to wait and see after lockdown is over.. I did not renew my visa and I'm intending to wait to be at the airport.. I won't be the only one!

Lucky enough to be on Luzon, expect to fly to South Korea and then JFK in NYC..  Not sure what our 250 mile van ride to NAIA will be like next Tuesday, 4/21/20.  Gonna talk to the mayor tomorrow, see what kind of paperwork will be required.

Philippine Destiny wrote:

Uniform global controls across all cultures and all borders all at once.

they need that for what comes next

So what comes next?

:o

Pinoy abroad don't complain there because things, as you say, are not ‘messy.' And most of them do not ever plan on returning. Curious that. Wonder why...

Talking about going to another developed country. Own a small clothing shop, but the hassles there without having been closed down almost a month = dumb place to do any kind of business (owned 8 others here and just so so messy, so corrupt, so complicated below the surface of smiles and bolabola).

So some of us may be talking about a warm dev country to retreat to, but in the beginning stages perhaps. After 14 years living here in 3 different locales and travelling all over the country by motor and car, nothing changes except a few more malls and Starbucks, but infrastructure and all the other hassles = hopeless case. Of course the chinoy own the country, and not unlike how they allow the CCP to run China, is all about making money and face.

So there are alternatives from this place that make a lot of sense to those of us who are near the end of the tether. Can it stretch anymore?

Time to reconsider...
Daenr

Time to bail for sure!

Just one comment, folks.
In order to count the number of infected persons, tests must be carried out. (no test - no infection).
As of April 11, there had been 33,814 tests carried out in the Philippines (Population 105 million).
Compare to Finland, 36,000 tests (Pop. 5.5 million)
Romania, 47,207 tests (Pop. 19.41 million).
It seems there is a lack of reality about Covid-19 in the Philippines.

repatriating ;?,NOPE
inpact of lockdown?minimal
plans for the future?as soon the lockdown ends (hopefuly before my next (60th) birthday) get my open water and then advanced open water dive license and enjoy the underwater world and life in general as much as possibol .
hope you all stay healthy ,greets Dirk.

I'm not there yet, still waiting in the States. I was about ready to jump on a plane to get back over there, when COVID-19 unfortunately stopped me, I'm waiting not so patiently for the virus to fly away, so that I can get on a plane and fly back over - My fiance is also waiting in Metro Manila, probably not very patiently either.                                                                                                                   

But like General McArthur, I SHALL RETURN.

KEITH DONALD BAER (CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA)

My filipina wife and I are building a house to retire to in Cagayan de Oro. We went to check on the status in mid-January, and I returned to Florida in early Feb. She was supposed to return on March 18th, the day they canceled all domestic flights with no warning. She almost got on a 'sweeper flight' a couple of weeks ago, but I couldn't secure a flight out of Manila for that night so I told her not to risk it. Her new reservation was for April 17th, and of course, that didn't work out. Now she's booked on a flight on May 1st, and if that doesn't happen then she will stay there as I pack up and ship all of her stuff from here. She's got a nice apartment and lots of family around, so she's surviving. I or we will be heading back in late May (fingers crossed), with no intention to change our long-term plans - we can't afford to retire in the US. BTW - does anyone know if the main Bureau of Immigration office in Manila is open? I need to pick up my ACR-I card when I arrive.

Hey Mr. Prince. Or whatever your name really is, all these Filipinos that you say are all over the globe are happy and don't complain is because everywhere else is much better than the garbage dump that you call the Philippines. Why should they complain. Life is much better anywhere but there.  The food is much better, the roads are much better, sanitary conditions are much better. I see a lot of you experts saying that the Philippines is a” developing “ country. IT'S A  THIRD WORLD COUNTRY. I thought I could retire and live there full time.... no way! I can do maybe 3-4 months than I need to go back to civilization. I'm just wondering where they learned how to drive. Do they just issue driver licenses like baseball cards? Just pay them and now you can drive? It's very sad.
Mike drop
I'm out.!

Loïc wrote:

Hello everybody,

The COVID-19 crisis inevitably impacts the Philippines, between closed airports or periods of containment in some cities or even the entire country .
We would like to hear from you during this unusual period, to find out what the consequences of this pandemic are on your expatriation or expatriation project in the Philippines.

Does the current crisis call into question your long-term expatriation project?
If you are already settled in the Philippines, do you plan to return to your home country?

How are you living through such an uncertain period, especially if you are far from your loved ones?

Have any of you ended your expatriation in the Philippines unexpectedly?

Paradoxically, has this crisis brought you closer to some people?

What are your plans for the future?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Hope you are doing well.

Loïc.

Loic . . . . I have had many posts blocked by Fred concerning the Covid-19 crisis, I hope this feedback helps. We need a moderator not a policeman like Barney Fife

The problem with the liquor and tobacco ban is that the tax on it goes for health care for the poor, guess they forgot about that

I came back to the Philippines early from my vacation I knew things would get crazy I have no problem with the so called lockdown doesn't change much here in the Province people still roam around except when they go to the city , the bad thing shutting down is going to be the thousands no work no money no food and what will happen, I can see things costing a lot less I bought another propane bottle it was 1000 peso less than the last one I bought, people are selling things to get money for food and it will not get better

The death rate in the USA is a little over 3% 97% survive here in the Philippines the death rate is over 15% the second most cases in Asia pacific

Oldbaz95 wrote:

Just one comment, folks.
In order to count the number of infected persons, tests must be carried out. (no test - no infection).
As of April 11, there had been 33,814 tests carried out in the Philippines (Population 105 million).
Compare to Finland, 36,000 tests (Pop. 5.5 million)
Romania, 47,207 tests (Pop. 19.41 million).
It seems there is a lack of reality about Covid-19 in the Philippines.

One approach now being used to roughly gauge the true extent of the outbreak is to multiply the death count by 1000.  That gives the Philippines about 320,000 cases give or take.  Ultimately the number is too high to be fully contained even with mitigation...it will play out with a pretty large toll both on lives and economically.

I am here in New Mexico O( U>S.). I do want to go there.  It seems that people there are rice and are going hungry. .