COVID-19 and expatriation in the Philippines

Okieboy wrote:

I came back to the Philippines early from my vacation I knew things would get crazy I have no problem with the so called lockdown doesn't change much here in the Province people still roam around except when they go to the city , the bad thing shutting down is going to be the thousands no work no money no food and what will happen, I can see things costing a lot less I bought another propane bottle it was 1000 peso less than the last one I bought, people are selling things to get money for food and it will not get better

My comment on the shutdown here in Pasig, No "Grab", no Tricycles. Yesterday my son had to walk over an hour to the Pharmacy for his & my wifes Insulin.

Thousands no money no food? Try millions no money, no food, Then try millions no money, no food, no meds.

Yesterday sitting on our balcony I saw a guy walk down the street, stop and go through our garbage.
Maybe next time he will try a home invasion.

Expats, the hungry know where you live, be prepared.

The death rate is a function of the amount of testing. If you only test the people that are admitted to the hospital, the death rate will be pretty high (80% of those infected in the US do not go to the hospital). If you only test those that go into the ICU, the death rate will be very high. If you only test those that have died, the death rate will be 100%. You need to understand what you are measuring before you make decisions based on the data.

80-90% of those who go on a ventilator die.

Ventilator associated pneumonia is real and recognized within healthcare.

Yet the media only cries about hydroxychloroquine.

The Philippines has 3 times the population of the USA they have done a good job having said that they need a lot more testing and it will come the crazy thing I saw today out of the CDC people that smoke are less likely to die from Coronavirus

Where did you get 80 to 90% on ventilators die, what country

This virus is the "doomsayer's" delight!

"We will never go back to normal"

"The world is forever changed",etc., etc.,

The world has suffered far, far worse pandemics than this one.

In the end, I believe that the world will grin sheepishly and think they over-reacted.

In the end, the world will also wakeup to the danger that China poses is s many ways, and in the end, we will change a few things, such as put more effort into understanding viruses and defeating them, but becoming slaves to governments due to fear of viruses? Never!

While some people love to have strict government control because they think it will make them safer, and have a fear of dying to the degree that they never really live, there are those among us that value our freedowm and are not willing to give it to the government forever.

For myself, while this is going on, I see the uselessness of government control. There are thousands starving here in my little neck of the woods and so I have spent my time raising money, buying food, assembling a team of other decent ex-pats and getting it out to the people. We are feeding over 500 families here because they are receiving next to nothing from their government.

To those that want the government to control everything, a pox on you! Get out there and see the fathers and mothers crying because their kids haven't eaten for 2 days and stop thinking about yourself only.

But the world has never had the kind of greedy, grasping leaders with so much limitless power as it does today.

Roy1228 wrote:

This virus is the "doomsayer's" delight!

"We will never go back to normal"

"The world is forever changed",etc., etc.,

The world has suffered far, far worse pandemics than this one.

In the end, I believe that the world will grin sheepishly and think they over-reacted.

In the end, the world will also wakeup to the danger that China poses is s many ways, and in the end, we will change a few things, such as put more effort into understanding viruses and defeating them, but becoming slaves to governments due to fear of viruses? Never!

While some people love to have strict government control because they think it will make them safer, and have a fear of dying to the degree that they never really live, there are those among us that value our freedowm and are not willing to give it to the government forever.

For myself, while this is going on, I see the uselessness of government control. There are thousands starving here in my little neck of the woods and so I have spent my time raising money, buying food, assembling a team of other decent ex-pats and getting it out to the people. We are feeding over 500 families here because they are receiving next to nothing from their government.

To those that want the government to control everything, a pox on you! Get out there and see the fathers and mothers crying because their kids haven't eaten for 2 days and stop thinking about yourself only.

Okieboy wrote:

The Philippines has 3 times the population of the USA they have done a good job having said that they need a lot more testing and it will come the crazy thing I saw today out of the CDC people that smoke are less likely to die from Coronavirus

NATO countries got hit very hard.

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/com … -alliance/:/

Hello Everybody, just as I have been asked about my current situation living here in the Philippines as an expat.

Here we go...

Born in Bavaria Germany and living with my Philippine wife, our daughter, our son and currently with additional 4 kids in our place in Laguna. We couldn't bring ‘em back to Navotas in time. So they stay with us since the Luzon lockdown dated March 16th

All this isn't any issue to us at all. We still have everyday food on the table. Not the quantity and quality as we been used to before the lockdown and curfew.

Easy for me as well as I'm not dependent on Western food.

We eat since ever local food. Makes it more easy for my sweet wife to cook 🤪🤪🤪

Struggling a bit with the current Situation due to the circumstance nobody knows for how long its going to last. Thats even mentally an issue.

Living from day to day is manageable. But looking into the near future isn't easy.

Beeing asked by friends several times via social media if I have plans to bring my family to Germany.

Clear: HINDI (No) —- why should I separate my wife from her family (Nanay, Tatay, Tito, Tita, Lola and all the Rest) —- I love them as I love the Philippines and we have had planned and organized to stay here for good. There is no reason to change that mindset because of a virus.

And important to be noticed. Why should it be better in Germany than here. I stay better here.

We been through many things. Typhoon, Earthquake, none stop rain and just dated January 12th, 2020 the endless ashes from Vulcano Taal (wearing face masks since then)

Together we are strong and will survive.

About things missing. Going with all the kids on the Beach for swimming. Having a BBQ with all the Family (miss them guys from Navotas)

And of course as a (with beer grown up) bavarian, I miss to have a Red Horse with Tatay. But that has and can wait. The more sarap it will be than. Cheers

Have a safe day. And never give up 😎🇵🇭😎🇵🇭

Yup;
"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change"
Charles Darwin

And still no explanation as to how it all began. And still need to be taught humility by rogue dna and rna.

Wow, I guess some people just aren't happy and need to complain. I look at the bright side. It could be worse if the government had dragged its feet and declared it a Hoax as my President did... People are dead because of that. I don't like being hemmed up in the house but at least if I were to contract the virus my chances of passing it along in slim. I'm a non drinker so alcohol ban is OK by me. Have you seen how these guys act when inebriated? Not a good sight. Happy drunks want to invade your space and mean drunks want to beat you up... LOL ROTFLMBAO

Question to be answered. Shoot the one who created the Message (DNA) or the messenger (RNA) ... shoot them both 🤪🤪🤪

[Post under review]

Why do you say that?

I've never been on the wagon. My last taste of alcohol was in 1981 it tasted horrible.

I am loving life here in the Philippines. I'm not miserable or discontented. Just chilled. The weather is awesome and the people are distant and chilled. I've managed to even find a girlfriend after 7 yrs of living here. So what could give the impression that I'm somehow a happy drunk.. LOL

Low information future ventilator casualties.

Obviously you don't have a problem with the alcohol ban as you don't need alcohol.

So it's easy to take it from your list.

Me. I like to drink in the proper occasion. But I can wait until it is possible to have a “sundowner” with Tatay.

But I cannot resist to jump on your statement that it took you seven years to find a girlfriend.

If you would have had a few shots on yourself you might have been able to find one in 7 minutes 😂😂😂

Actually it took 5yrs.. I've been here since 2013 and met Juliana late year before last. I wasn't looking. I was just travelling and having a grand old time. Plus these women here are not like western ladies. They don't casual date. It's all or nothing so knowing that I kept my distance until I was ready to commit.

It's not good for a guy to come here and play the field.

By the way... I'm buying you a drink because alcohol kills the virus..
LOL

Yup...stick to Polish-made Spirytus vodka (96 percent alcohol) (First you need your barangay captains clearance & required social distance/no shaking hands!) — Its  claimed to be the strongest bottle of liquor sold in the world & please don't get drunk!

:D

manwonder wrote:

Yup...stick to Polish-made Spirytus vodka (96 percent alcohol) (First you need your barangay captains clearance & required social distance/no shaking hands!) — Its  claimed to be the strongest bottle of liquor sold in the world & please don't get drunk!

do not smoke while drinking it

would make great hand sanitizer

and when you get tired of waiting in line just guzzle the bottle

manwonder wrote:

Russians are known to be heavy Vodka drinkers, airport employees were drinking the ethanol used for antifreeze in airplanes and being stoned on the job.

manwonder wrote:

Russians are known to be heavy Vodka drinkers, airport employees were drinking the ethanol used for antifreeze in airplanes and being stoned on the job.

"Its always better to know the truth and be disappointed, than not know the truth and always wonder!"

:|

W9XR wrote:
manwonder wrote:

In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in vodka there is power to antifreeze your locked up joy and in water there is bacteria/virus!

I like that. Make sure you are going to pay. Stay safe

By all accounts it looks to me as if the Philippines has handled the situation pretty well especially compared to most of Europe and the US. As for lockdown it depends what your priorities are a guess. Being able to get a drink or avoiding a pretty unpleasant way to die.

Oops

manwonder wrote:
W9XR wrote:
manwonder wrote:

In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in vodka there is power to antifreeze your locked up joy and in water there is bacteria/virus!

The WC Fields approach.  He did say in 1946 he wondered what his life would have been like without all the drinks.  Died that year.

mugtech wrote:
manwonder wrote:
W9XR wrote:

The WC Fields approach.  He did say in 1946 he wondered what his life would have been like without all the drinks.  Died that year.

Yup he died at 66 due to cirrhosis...R.I.P
We miss you!
Btw : Drinking *too much water can kill you too!!!

:|

Okieboy... that's very true about ventilators... 80-90% who are on ventilators die. And did I read you right when you said that Philippines has three times the population of the United States? The population of the Philippines is about 108 million. Population of the United States is about 325 million.

Just got an update from one of my brothers. He had to travel from Bavaria last week to South Korea for work !!! No joke

He been in 24 hours Quarantine in Seoul and currently in 2 weeks Quarantine in his hotel room. Several test's. He is still negative tested.

Good to hear that.

But he just right now texted me that they brought to his room a 30 kilo relief good Package.

He just don't know how to prepare that food. All instructions in Korean language.

So, I here from the Philippines arrange all my ex colleagues and friends in South Korea to help him to Translate that and fulfill that easy task.

Easy. Friendship doesn't know borders

To answer the OP's questions:

Does the current crisis call into question your long-term expatriation project?
If you are already settled in the Philippines, do you plan to return to your home country?

- No.  We've been here for almost 12 years. The Philippines is now our home. At the moment, we are under "enhanced community quarantine" or what is called in the US as "shelter at home", both of which are euphemisms for lockdown.

How are you living through such an uncertain period, especially if you are far from your loved ones?

- We had a chat with my in-laws in America thru Viber the other day. They're okay. There are less selections at groceries / supermarkets. No toilet paper.

For us here in the Philippines, there are a lot of uncertainties, as there are also in other countries. We have so many questions, like when will it be safe to be out and about again? For how long would the lockdown be? When will schools open for next school year? I try not to think about them, as there are no clear answers right now. All we can do is wait and just take things one day at a time.

We're originally from San Francisco, CA. We brought along our habit of preparing for earthquakes when we moved here. In SF, we were supposed to prep for 2 weeks of supplies. Since emergency response time is slower here in the Philippines, we prepared supplies that would last a lot longer than 2 weeks. We didn't need to go on a mad rush to supermarkets. Our pantry had always been well-stocked. We've also prepared financially.

Supermarkets are still open. Either I or my husband or our help goes out to get fresh produce and meats every other week for us and for my senior citizen parents who live around 3-5 kms from us.

Paradoxically, has this crisis brought you closer to some people?

Not really.

What are your plans for the future?

We are taking things one day at a time. I still will re-open my business once things are somewhat "normal".  Planning on a new lay for my shop / office to avoid being in close contact and practice social distancing with and among delivery people, customers, and employees.

After nine and a half years our well pump finally picked a great time to stop working.

I had always thought about buying a spare and never did.

Luckily we have a family member nearby who sells them and I can install it.

Tonight everything gets washed out of 16 liter paint pails.

We do not mind this kind of thing. It reminds us how precarious modern comforts really are and makes us appreciate them even more. And that was a bit of a lie because this sucks.

Robcentral wrote:

By the way... I'm buying you a drink because alcohol kills the virus..
LOL

Gargling with vodka/whiskey may be a good way to disinfect your mouth of coronavirus. But why would one spit it out and waste a good beverage?

You can enjoy this drink too.
If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad.

I'm into lawn badminton, and we have a great time in the evenings just before the sun sets (Its too freaking hot during the day!)
That's the only time I feel some sense of freedom/headrush!
After which we all have a large glass of fresh papaya juice (from 1 of my 8 trees) & then its already dinner time!
Yes i am indeed grateful for these simple pleasures!

Stay strong!!!

W9XR wrote:

Yesterday sitting on our balcony I saw a guy walk down the street, stop and go through our garbage.

Home invasions can happen anytime anywhere. I'm not worried about that happening to us here in the Philippines during the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ). I would be worried if we were in the US where gun ownership laws are lax, and minimum age for purchasing a firearm is either 18 or 21.

Convenience stores with less security might get looted. But this situation is not exclusive to the Philippines, despite it being a third world country. It can happen anywhere in the world. After Hurricane Katrina struck, many shops were looted for basic necessities, such as food, water, medicine, diapers, etc.

Metro Manila is under ECQ, but that hasn't stopped me from making the most out of this "staycation". I watched some online videos about organizing ones closet. I organized mine using the Konmari method.  We cleaned our shelves, tossing out things like old dvd's, magazines. I made a backup of my laptop files, and then deleted ones I don't need.  Those are just some of the few things I've been doing to be productive.

FilAmericanMom wrote:
W9XR wrote:

Home invasions can happen anytime anywhere. I'm not worried about that happening to us here in the Philippines during the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ). I would be worried if we were in the US where gun ownership laws are lax, and minimum age for purchasing a firearm is either 18 or 21.

Convenience stores with less security might get looted. But this situation is not exclusive to the Philippines, despite it being a third world country. It can happen anywhere in the world. After Hurricane Katrina struck, many shops were looted for basic necessities, such as food, water, medicine, diapers, etc

Dear Fil American Mom . . . .

You sound so defensive to me, It's not a comparison of the times who is safer America or Philippines.

To quote a famous bank robber (1930 to 1940) Willie Sutton, why did you rob banks? he replied that's where the money is. He carried an unloaded pistol because he didn't want to hurt anyone and besides he said you can't rob a bank on charm & personality.

When you talk about gun laws in the US, you are presuming only criminals have guns.

Now while in the states, I've never seen an armed guard at a 7/11, never seen any kind of guard. I'm sure many of the owners kept a loaded gun behind the counter.

Never seen an armed guard at malls, the closest thing to a guard is represented in the movie: Mall Cop. Never seen an armed guard at Walmart, only guard at some banks is an old man with a uniform. My wife & I never walked  through metal detectors, or had personal searches entering into businesses like here in the Philippines.

Why is it in the Philippines you have such security during the normal times?

You say you would not be worried about home invasions in the Philippines. I can assure you some of the rich in the Philippines have armed guards, that's a very good deterrent.

If Willey Sutton was here today, ask him why rob expats? He would say that's were the food/money is at.