Coronavirus overview by the Expat Mag.

EveeZee wrote:

The part where it says you can actually make them if there is a shortage ;)
You shouldn't just worry about the shortage, but do something about it.
But to do that, you must admit that it is helpful.

Yes, my wife does make them. But not an N95 which requires a filter.

But it is a waste of time wearing them. There is no evidence that they do any good for anyone. Let's see the study?

We are talking specifically about N95 filtered masks. Not a simple surgical mask.

A surgical mask will not protect against a virus and as the earlier poster said wearing one and thinking you are protected might lead some to violate social distance.

Masks are not only for the sick, but also for people who are carrying the virus without knowing it. It has been proven that the virus spreads before somebody has the first signs. It makes sense, that if we cut out the possibility of symptomless people spreading it, it will save many further infections.
Every infection causes many more infections. Read up on exponential growth if you forgot what you learned about it in school :)

No study. But I didn't see the Chinese running around in proper masks. Still, it was effective as it turns out.
Surgical masks prevent you from sneezing or coughing at other people in public. Or just infecting them while talking to them.
And if you carry the virus without knowing it, you can give it to many others before you realize you had it.

Let's say, you talk to somebody who has the virus but doesn't know it. He doesn't wear a mask, so you catch it from him.
Wouldn't you wish he had worn a mask so you could have stayed healthy?

I am watching as in Italy military trucks are carrying the coffins to the cemeteries. These people won't have proper funerals. No relatives at their graves.  :(
If this doesn't wake up people to the seriousness of the situation, nothing does.

Italy: Army convoy carries coffins of coronavirus victims out of Bergamo for cremation
[link under review]

This is the saddest thing I have seen in my life.

EveeZee wrote:

Let's say, you talk to somebody who has the virus but doesn't know it. He doesn't wear a mask, so you catch it from him.
Wouldn't you wish he had worn a mask so you could have stayed healthy?

But you are already in trouble because you are confusing N95 masks with surgical masks.

And if you violate social distance a surgical mask will not protect you.

But you are already in trouble because you are confusing N95 masks with surgical masks.

And if you violate social distance a surgical mask will not protect you.

It will, because most of it gets stuck in his mask.
Anyway, I know I can't convince YOU. I am writing for those who are not as stubborn as you are.

In Europe, I have seen only a handful of people with masks in the last few weeks - they were all Asian. Our governments, after consulting suitable experts, as well as the WHO say there is no need to wear masks in normal daily situations.
Are you telling us that all these people are wrong and you know better?
In any case, I believe my common sense and do not wear a mask, hord toilet paper or buy lots of disinfectant in panic. But I do keep a good personal hygiene, avoid social contact and follow the news and official guidelines strictly.
Good health and good luck (which is also needed to avoid infection) to all of you!

beppi wrote:

In Europe, I have seen only a handful of people with masks in the last few weeks - they were all Asian. Our governments, after consulting suitable experts, as well as the WHO say there is no need to wear masks in normal daily situations.
Are you telling us that all these people are wrong and you know better?
In any case, I believe my common sense and do not wear a mask, hord toilet paper or but lots of disinfectant in panic. But I do keep a good personal hygiene, avoid social contact and follow the news and official guidelines strictly.
Good health and good luck (which is also needed to avoid infection) to all of you!

You must be doing something right. Only 4528 new cases today ;)

Who are you kidding?

Germany was lagging behind the whole time. Other countries were closing borders and restricting events when Merkel was still talking about "European solution".  When other countries didn't wait for her European solution, she had to follow, but she is behind with everything and the virus is spreading like wild fire.
You can be sure, you too, will have to close the borders and wear the masks. Some parts of Germany are already under curfew and other parts will follow.
I, too, watch the news. That's where I get my information.

It is not appropriate to compare countries in this context, nor to come with such emotionally accusative arguments as you do.
One indicator that Germany may be doing at least something right is the extraordinarily low death rate (< 0.3%).
And I am a fan of Angela Merkel (even though her party isn't mine) - her speech to the nation two days ago was among the best I have heard about the situation. She will, in all likelyhood, announce a nationwide curfew on Monday. I do not agree to that, but I will follow the rules once they are announced. There is no need to panic or overdo things.

I'm very pleased to report the situation in Indonesia is sensible (mostly)

Shops are well stocked and there's very little panic buying
People are mostly being sensible by avoiding crowds, but still getting things done
School are out but teachers are supplying home study work.
Parents have to report where their kids are to schools. The vast majority keeping their kids at home.
Everything is open but people are not venturing out much so shopping centres and so on are all but deserted.
Online shopping is getting a great boost but still working efficiently, even with the extra demand (I had 2 deliveries yesterday)
One of my deliveries was a pack of my favourite curry - excellent news.

Can someone please explain this Tweet from the U.S.General Surgeon?
@Surgeon_General

"Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS! They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can't get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!"

If a mask is not effective in protecting the general public, what makes more effective in protecting healthcare providers?
General public are also wearing them for protection. They feel unprotected and at least that is something they can do.
If I were to wear one, that would greatly increase my sense of awareness to NOT touch my face. I would consider that another form of prevention.

P.S. How's your family's comorbilities?

Hi Launica. I hope this helps.

Wearing a face mask is certainly not an iron-clad guarantee that you won't get sick – viruses can also transmit through the eyes and tiny viral particles, known as aerosols, can penetrate masks. However, masks are effective at capturing droplets, which is a main transmission route of coronavirus, and some studies have estimated a roughly fivefold protection versus no barrier alone (although others have found lower levels of effectiveness).

If you are likely to be in close contact with someone infected, a mask cuts the chance of the disease being passed on. If you're showing symptoms of coronavirus, or have been diagnosed, wearing a mask can also protect others. So masks are crucial for health and social care workers looking after patients and are also recommended for family members who need to care for someone who is ill – ideally both the patient and carer should have a mask.

However, masks will probably make little difference if you're just walking around town or taking a bus so there is no need to bulk-buy a huge supply.

Soutce: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua … hs-elderly

Salwa7 wrote:

If you're showing symptoms of coronavirus, or have been diagnosed, wearing a mask can also protect others.

That's an excellent point.  If you're showing symptoms, or if you've tested positive but are asymptomatic, your wearing a mask will protect others, by cutting down on the droplets that you broadcast.

Launica wrote:

@Surgeon_General

"Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS! They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can't get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!"

Health care workers are going to be working directly with infected people and need every precaution possible. Wearing a face mask in public is not bad per se but I believe the point is that people shouldn't be out in public at all if possible. Some are likely depending on a mask for a false sense of security while ignoring more important measures like staying away from other people. And apparently many health care facilities are running short of masks because of people hoarding. When supplies are low then of course the health care workers are the ones that need them the most.

But I know that in France and Germany there have been companies that usually make perfume or industrial chemicals that have ramped up and switched to producing huge quantities of sanitizer. At least one large German company is supposedly retooling to make ventilators. And I think it is only  a matter of time before some companies jump in to make things like face masks and gowns, which will go directly to the health care providers. The thing is that such things cannot be done overnight. Putting out a new product is both a matter of physical logistics and possibly licensing/patent rights considerations. Work arounds in such a situation will happen but how quickly? But it does highlight the risk of having outsourced production of so many things to China. Seems even many of the critical pharmaceuticals for the European markets are produced there.

Any good news about the vaccines

Somunwa wrote:

Supposedly there are a couple developed but just starting the testing phase. Are they at all effective or safe? Time will tell. Many reliable sources say it can be a year or more away if all goes well that they can be distributed. Others are claiming as short as 6 months, possible by shortcutting some of the testing protocol due to the seriousness of the situation. But this is always a doubled edged sword, weighing one risk against another. Seems pretty certain that the virus will spread world-wide before a vaccine is available. I just hate to think what will happen in the least developed countries and places like refugee camps.

Somunwa wrote:

That's a very good topic!
If the vaccine really comes in about a year, as some scientists have said is possible, then it is one of the fastest vaccine developments EVER! It might be delayed due to a number of reasons, though.
And as for treatment, there is no medication against most viral diseases - you can (as e.g. in the case of flu) just treat the symptoms and secondary infections. But that is usually enough, as our own immune system is extremely efective - once it has defeated a virus, you are immune to it for life. (Some viuses, e.g. flu, do mutate so fast that our system cannot recognize it after a year - but against the exact same flu you had last year you are immune!)

Austria: Current status (March 21, 2020, 8:00 a.m.): 2,666 cases, by federal states:  Burgenland  (35),  Carinthia  (74),  Lower Austria  (392),  Upper Austria  (507),  Salzburg  (175),  Styria  (350),  Tyrol  (568),  Vorarlberg  (215),  Vienna  (350); 15,613 tests, people recovered: 9,  deaths : 15

many people are also confused by the generic term "mask"

The US Surgeon General is referring specifically to the N95 mask

TominStuttgart wrote:
Launica wrote:

@Surgeon_General

Health care workers are going to be working directly with infected people and need every precaution possible. Wearing a face mask in public is not bad per se but I believe the point is that people shouldn't be out in public at all if possible. Some are likely depending on a mask for a false sense of security while ignoring more important measures like staying away from other people. And apparently many health care facilities are running short of masks because of people hoarding. When supplies are low then of course the health care workers are the ones that need them the most.

But I know that in France and Germany there have been companies that usually make perfume or industrial chemicals that have ramped up and switched to producing huge quantities of sanitizer. At least one large German company is supposedly retooling to make ventilators. And I think it is only  a matter of time before some companies jump in to make things like face masks and gowns, which will go directly to the health care providers. The thing is that such things cannot be done overnight. Putting out a new product is both a matter of physical logistics and possibly licensing/patent rights considerations. Work arounds in such a situation will happen but how quickly? But it does highlight the risk of having outsourced production of so many things to China. Seems even many of the critical pharmaceuticals for the European markets are produced there.

WHO officials say at least 20 coronavirus vaccines are in development in global race for cure

@ Beppi: well there have been some anti-viral treatments developed like Tamiflu and Relenza but their effectiveness has always been in question. In the end they never matched the hype. I would imagine they were some of the first things looked at for treatment for Covid-19. And since one doesn't hear them being mentioned, they were probably quickly ruled out.

Guys no matter how quickly an treatment or vaccine would be developed by any country as per WHO it will take a minimum of 18 months for testing and approved by WHO For the vaccine or medecine

Friends4ever86 wrote:

Guys no matter how quickly an treatment or vaccine would be developed by any country as per WHO it will take a minimum of 18 months for testing and approved by WHO For the vaccine or medecine

Maybe this time they'll cut corners, skip rigurous testing, inject 80% of Earth's population with the new vaccine and that will bring the zombie apocalypse we've been waiting for.  :D

Although this link isn't medical nor scientific
explains the whole process from the beginning & the current medical situation of this infectious desease, now a wolrdwild speaded chaos.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … emics.html

Headless chickens - Grab a time machine and panic.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 … ast-winter

Thu 25 Jan 2018

Last week 758 people were admitted to hospital as a result of flu – a big rise on the 598 the week before. However, the number of people ending up in intensive care or a high-dependency unit because of flu went up only slightly, from 198 to 205.

Three times as many people are dying of flu this winter in the UK compared with last year, with the death toll since October now at 155, figures show.

Covid 19 has a scary sounding name and it's a pandemic - Great reasons to panic buy bog roll.

atomheart wrote:
Friends4ever86 wrote:

Maybe this time they'll cut corners, skip rigurous testing, inject 80% of Earth's population with the new vaccine and that will bring the zombie apocalypse we've been waiting for.  :D

it's about time

Friends4ever86 wrote:

Don't talk rubbish

kittycat1 wrote:

Although this link isn't medical nor scientific
explains the whole process from the beginning & the current medical situation of this infectious desease, now a wolrdwild speaded chaos.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … emics.html

If it's in the daily mail, assume there's something in it for them by printing it. They stumble on truth from time to time and, after wandering around in the dark, sometimes even print a reasonable story, but their paper (comic) is hardly known as a decent news outlet.

SimCityAT wrote:
Friends4ever86 wrote:

Don't talk rubbish

He is not talking rubbish, unfortunately:
That is the minimum time it takes under normal circumstances!
They might, in this case, shorten the process, but that also involves risks of unknown effects due to improper (abbreviated) testing. It is up to the experts, not us, to decide whether such risks are warranted here, or not, and thus how long it will actually take.

@beppi, thanks I did not reply to him, because no use of responding to people who don't understand how the vaccine works, there is a lot of testing involved to be 100% sure there would be no side effects of a vaccine and some side effects does not show immediately it takes months, so for a proper testing, minimum is 18 months from the day vaccine is ready.
vaccine is playing with the immune system, some people think it is just like a candy which can be created within a day taken on the same day.

Friends4ever86: You are of course right (and on top of those 18 months comes the time the industry needs to build up production facilities and make sufficient quantities of the vaccine - in this case billions of doses!).
As I said, they may in this case decide that taking the risk involved in improper testing is still better than letting thousands more die in the meantime.
However, a vaccine available in a year from now, as some experts claim possible, would be the fastest EVER - and I don't believe in it.
Hopefully we will all be here to see who is right in the end!

gin and tonic

Philippine Destiny wrote:

gin and tonic

I refrain from imbibing, preferring to stick to not giving a rats in its stead.
Still, whatever works to keep silly panic outside your brain's front door is fine by me.

Friends4ever86 wrote:

@beppi, thanks I did not reply to him, because no use of responding to people who don't understand how the vaccine works, there is a lot of testing involved to be 100% sure there would be no side effects of a vaccine and some side effects does not show immediately it takes months, so for a proper testing, minimum is 18 months from the day vaccine is ready.
vaccine is playing with the immune system, some people think it is just like a candy which can be created within a day taken on the same day.

Maybe follow the news then!!

beppi wrote:

Friends4ever86: You are of course right (and on top of those 18 months comes the time the industry needs to build up production facilities and make sufficient quantities of the vaccine - in this case billions of doses!).
As I said, they may in this case decide that taking the risk involved in improper testing is still better than letting thousands more die in the meantime.
However, a vaccine available in a year from now, as some experts claim possible, would be the fastest EVER - and I don't believe in it.
Hopefully we will all be here to see who is right in the end!

Yes!! completely agree with you, 18 months is the fastest if everything goes right, these are first tested in animals and needs wait for few months to notice the side effects and then it's tested in humans and then again wait for few months to see the side effects and again there are so many Other factors involved like how it works with different age groups of people.

SimCityAT wrote:
Friends4ever86 wrote:

Maybe follow the news then!!

Check this link everyone
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/2 … ire-139854

Friends4ever86 wrote:

Check this link everyone
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/2 … ire-139854

It was from an orange idiot that gets everything wrong. What do you expect?

Find useful info to succeed in your expat project

OR