Remote work during Procedural Residence period?

Hi Everyone,

I need your advice...
My husband and I are planning to move to Denmark soon. (Yay!) He is Danish and I am a US citizen so we will be using the spouse reunification path. I understand that I am not allowed to work in Denmark while the application is being processed. But does anyone know if I can continue working remotely for my US-based company during the procedural residence/waiting period? I would essentially be working in the US but I would physically be in Denmark. Does this violate any Danish regulations or put my application in jeopardy?

The Danish Immigration website wasn't very clear on this.

Thanks!

Hi,

Having stayed a few months in Denmark for a project, you don't risk anything. What you are prohibited from doing is work on Danish territory. No one prohibits you from doing work abroad. Anyway, even if someone were to complain, you have the argument that you cannot stop your activities overnight. And then you have the right to make a living.

I can only recommend you to ask Siri as I always do regarding questions where a  wrong answer may have consequenses.

Actually, they encourage you to ask them if you have any questions to the rules.
https://www.nyidanmark.dk/ContactUs

Anyway, even if someone were to complain, you have the argument that you cannot stop your activities overnight. And then you have the right to make a living.
I am afraid that this argument won't hold water.

/Nellie

Hi, rosensara. I'm American and I'm about to move to DK with my Danish husband, and I'm wondering the same thing. Did you ever get a clear answer?

@hollymcw Hi Holly, I've just talked to SIRI today and found that while you are on procedural stay in Denmark it is completely allowed to have a remote job that is based in your home country (in this case America). Meaning while you're in Denmark you cannot leave while waiting for the answer to your application, but you may work your remote job from home in Denmark (eg. customer service job in America that allows you to fully work from home). Again, like it says on the SIRI website, you cannot work under a Danish company directly or indirectly but any remote work from your home country is completely okay.

@Cosmos1997 Hello! This is helpful news! Did you figure out taxation as well? Meaning, while working remotely and working for a US company, is your income taxed in Denmark or in US? I understand US has its own rules. I'm not a US citizen but employed by a humanitarian organization based in US. The salaries are usually tax-exempt but not sure if it's tax-exempt in Denmark. The salary I would get is enough for us ONLY IF IT'S NOT TAXED. Otherwise, we're screwed, so to say.