HP / Dell

Good morning all...

I want to buy a powerful laptop before I leave to Mauritius. Since these days there is not much difference between the products both companies offer, I would like to know how is the technical service provided in Mauritius. Which company provides the best service?

Thanks in advance
Candy

Hi,

Got very interesting deal on DELL laptops i3 and i5 processors.

MS Tech have a web site?

not yet

i'll rather go for dell!!

dell is the best. they got the option 5 year warranty;

i suggest to look for them, there's a mother company dealing in, Harel Mallac technologies ltd, port louis; i have an agent. u can ask for pv his phone number.

have worked with hp/compaq also: they got a reliable service, but in some cases: i had a brand new laptop spilled with water, failure was in motherboard. they'll call the replacement back o back-ie south africa replaces the parts, when they receive faulty. so you're bound to 15 days, if not in stock in mauritius. Besides, hp comes up with 3 years in most cases.

u wanna buy a true one? look for the dell alien :P its one of the very best in the world. cost? some 70,000 rupees or so, mostly available in us.

u can ask for import of such machines in here.

well there's also lenovo(new brand name of ibm)-to cut short, harel mallac office does both, so fit in if you want a good machine :)

cool if u have a dell from netherlands/eur: manufacturing standards are wiser :/

cheers,
I.

Thanks Islander for the tips.

I have several Lenovos (Thinkpad) and I am quite disappointed by them. Since it's not IBM anymore, you can clearly feel the difference.

I've been receiving good feedback regarding Dell. Which one of the "aliens" would you recommend?

hi cookie,
u make me hungry :):) i'd dive in for a biscuits breakfast :lol:

have to see the specs, can you send them?

i've a lenovo x41- tablet laptop, its ok, and i love the pencil and touch sensitives, software's also good, it translates your handwriting cool!

niCe D to All
islander.

life is all about sharing experience!

Toshiba is good too. I recently read in a survey that followed laptops for 3 years after purchase and it showed that Toshiba and Asus have the lowest breakdown rates = more reliability.

How's Toshiba servicing at Mauritius?

hi dr stan,
toshiba is a real nice one,
unfortunate is such that no retailers/workshops dedicated to

cheers

Sleeping Cookie wrote:

Thanks Islander for the tips.

I have several Lenovos (Thinkpad) and I am quite disappointed by them. Since it's not IBM anymore, you can clearly feel the difference.

I've been receiving good feedback regarding Dell. Which one of the "aliens" would you recommend?

alienware? you doing highend graphics or highend gaming :-)

which models of lenovo did you own? generally my experience with lenovo has been they are a little better quality made than dell  but experiences vary.

i use enterprise lines for business purposes. you could also look at dell l'attitude's or E series if they have ones with as highend and big dedicated internal video cards. vostros area good deal but its the luck of the draw when it comes to longetivity. stay away from everyday consumer lines as they always last about 1 or 1.5 years if you are lucky.

I am seeing IT recommend Toshiba Tecra below as a good deal on parts and features and so on. but is a really butt ugly latop.

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?l … &category=

i have been using an HP probook without any issues for the last year and a half mostly becaise i bought it on a price error.

http://www.hp.com/canada/products/landi … 5330m.html

its not bad. has a strong aluminium cover casing like an apple but uglier. most of my work is RAM intensive so i just had to upgrade and max out RAM to make it work properly.  :-)

generally my attitude towards laptops lately because of the large price drops have been, if you DONT need high end performance or computing or care much about looks and feel -- do disposable. you can get a very decent lowend laptop on sale for ~$500 which will probably just last you about a year before parts starts to noodle. then get another one and dump your data off it and move on.

vs spending $2000+ (which used to be the standard norm of laptop pricing 10 years ago) and hope you get 3 or 4 or 5 years out of it because it's more high end. just my 2 cents.

The Lenovo I have right now is X61, and I was extremely disappointed from the beginning (over heating, crashes etc.).
My husband uses an Apple laptop, but he has it for 6 years now, so it's time to buy a new one, therefore we thought maybe of combining both our needs in one laptop. We are willing to pay the price, as long as we can rest assure the laptop will serve us for several years (as you said Douglas, not one that we'll need to change after 1.5 years).

mine never crashes, i guess u had a problem with the x61. either the disk is bad from the beginning or the memory(or you made an upgrade that was quite not palatable, to x61's feeds)

anyway, just to let you know, i used dell inspiron over a year, it was really a good machine.

hp proobook is cool, with the led displays & cams; but a problem you have is the touch sensitives are not very responsive.

mac is the first choice, seen the price, u can have 2/3 laptops in one :P, just to say that i bought the dell inspiron about 55,000, half the price of a good alien!

depends on usage, if youre into high end graphics, then mac's a satisfactory deal :)

ah btw sleeping cookie, i used to buy regularly over 10-15 pcs & laptops yearly, over ten years :)

cheers,
nice wkend,
islander.