GVVA - Combined residence and employment permit for NL

Hello,

My company is not a registered company in IND, how long exactly will it take for GVVA single permit to be approved?

My employer has already initiated GVVA permit processing for me.

IamAnXpat wrote:

Hello,

My company is not a registered company in IND, how long exactly will it take for GVVA single permit to be approved?

My employer has already initiated GVVA permit processing for me.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Assuming all is in order, it can take up to 90 days from date of submission.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks.

What are the pros and cons of the GVVA permit?

It is the same as the HSM visa, right?

Hi again.

In as much that it is a combined work and residence visa, yes, they are the same.  The HSM has statutory salary limits, but can be obtained in a much quicker time-frame, but the sponsor must be registered with the IND to use this scheme.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks.

Currently, my employer has requested this permit only for a year.

Can it be extended and what is the maximum extension period?

After continues 5 yrs extension, can it be considered for the PR?

Hi again.

Single permits 1-year, inter-company transfer up to 3 years; they can be extended.  If you change jobs your new employer has to re-apply.  They can be extended every year and do qualify eventually for PR after 5 years.

All such visas are subject to the skill shortage test, so whatever your skill is, if Holland suddenly has lots of a home-grown version, your visa will be terminated at the next renewal.  Also, that all work permits are temporary by nature and can be cancelled at the stroke of a politicians pen; I've never known it to happen in the Netherlands, but it's always there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Ok thanks

That means this GVVA permit can be extended only for a year and so.

It's not like HSM, I think HSM can be extended for the duration of 3 yrs.

IamAnXpat wrote:

Ok thanks

That means this GVVA permit can be extended only for a year and so.

It's not like HSM, I think HSM can be extended for the duration of 3 yrs.

HSM can only be for the length of your contract; if you have a 1-year contract, you get a 1-year permit.  If you get a 5-year contract, then it can be 5-years.

Ok then what about GVVA ?
It can be applied or extended for n no of yrs regardless of contract tenure ?

GVVA is one year at a time in almost all cases.  Most employment contracts nowadays are for an initial 7 months, they generally say something like "7 months with the option to extend", after 2 years of extensions, they have to make it a permanent contract; it gives the employer the option to dismiss the employee at any time in that period.

OK
If they dismiss the employee at any time in that period then they give the employee any settlement amount or salary etc ?

Depends on the circumstances; you must also consider that some trades/professions have social plans negotiated with the Dutch Government.

With regards to payments from your employer; if you are dismissed for disciplinary reasons, you get nothing except what they owe you in salary.  If you are made redundant, then one-third of monthly wage per year of employment; any other reason you get what it states in your contract.

With regards to payments from the Government:

Unemployment benefits.  They have what is known as the week rule and the year rule; basically breaks down as:

Week rule - If you have worked for 26 of the last 36 weeks you will receive three months of unemployment benefits (and I think I've just spotted where the 7-month contract I referred to earlier comes from).  If you are dismissed at the 7-month point, you'll only get your contract statutory notice - probably a months salary at best.

Year rule - five years may receive five months of unemployment benefits.

If you qualify, you will receive 75% of your former income for the first two months, after which it drops to 70% for the remainder, that is assuming you qualify for the period.

One other thing I recall is that they will deduct sickness insurance from any unemployment money you receive.

After this, if you are not permanently resident and are deemed to have become a burden on the state, you get nothing and will be required to leave the country.

Thanks for the details.

GVVA is a combined residence and employment permit for NL, Do I need to apply for a separate visa again from my country to enter into the Netherlands?

Thanks in advance.

No

Hello,
No means what exactly?
My employer has filed the application in the Netherlands, so what is the process to enter into the Netherlands once the GVVA permit approved?

HSM WP holders use an MVV visa to enter the Netherlands.

Similarly, What is the process for GVVA WP holders?

Thanks in advance.

IamAnXpat wrote:

Hello,
No means what exactly?
My employer has filed the application in the Netherlands, so what is the process to enter into the Netherlands once the GVVA permit approved?

HSM WP holders use an MVV visa to enter the Netherlands.

Similarly, What is the process for GVVA WP holders?

Thanks in advance.

Hi again.

Sorry, I was answering from my phone and I have fingers like sausages, so prefer to keep it short.

You asked, "Do I need to apply for a separate visa again from my country to enter into the Netherlands?"; the answer is no.  Your GVVA is both a residence and work permit, you don't need any further authorisation to enter the Netherlands.  Your only further legal requirement is to register with Gemeente within 5 days of arrival.

Your boss will receive details from IND about when/where you can pick up your documents.  When you have this, you can book your flights.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks.
So that means the GVVA related documents I have to pick up in my home country
and without any visa stamp, I can travel to the Netherlands with those documents, right ?

Hi again.

Yep, that about sums it up.

Ok, thanks.
Who will let me know that with which Gemeent I have to register within 5 days of arrival
and that is for what?

Hi again.

Nobody will let you know, it's all down to you.  It will depend on where you live; I just tried Google; if you type in your street name, followed by the name of the city/town/village, then the word Gemeente, it comes up with it; you phone them and make an appointment to register, you should ask them what you need to bring with you (normally passport, copy of rental contract for where you live, work contract); it normally takes up to 3 weeks to get an appointment, so make sure you have enough money with you and have health insurance to cover you from when you arrive until you can get sorted in the Netherlands.  Don't worry, you will not be the first expat to phone them.

When you register, you will get what is called a "Burgerservicenummer" (or BSN in short) and a "DigiD"; with the former, you can work, pay taxes, get health insurance, register with a doctor, open a bank account - basically, it's how you interact with officialdom in the Netherlands; with the latter, you can do some of the former on-line.

You should get your BSN on a piece of paper at the end of your appointment; give the number to your boss so he can start paying your taxes correctly; you will get a more formal letter with BSN and DigiD a few weeks later.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks for the detailed information but Today I called Mumbai, India consulate just to cross-check whether I need a visa to enter in the Netherlands considering I receive approval of GVVA - Combined residence and employment permit for NL and they said yes, I need MVV visa even if I have the approval of GVVA.
Where we can check and make sure this to avoid further issues?

Hi again.

I suspect they are referring to the Dutch language exam part of the process.  I can't find anything that requires both MVV and GVVA, they are both basically a residence and work permit.  The only real difference is that GVVA links you to a specific job that your employer has sponsored you for.

If you are granted GVVA, then you will get a VA sticker in your passport, this sticker is indicative that the holder is "staying legitimately in the Netherlands and is allowed to work".

Out of interest, what profession is your GVVA related to?

Hello,

Do you have any link for this where I can also check?

I am s/w engineer and the employer applied for the GVVA permit for 1 year and they are going to continue with the same permit after 1 year as they are not recognized sponsor as per the IND to apply for HSM permit.

Hi again.

Link

Hello,
I just checked about the VA sticker but it does not clear that I do not need any visa to travel to the Netherlands. It is just something an indication of work status placed on the passport.
Do MVV and VA stickers are both the same ?

MVV and VA are 2 different kinds of similar processes.

If you had no job to go to and thought you would have a better life in the Netherlands, you would apply for MVV which includes an "integration into Dutch society" part (so you have to speak Dutch and pass an exam proving this) - at the end, you get a sticker in your passport.

If you had a job to go to that could not be filled by a person already resident in the Netherlands, then GVVA is the path, HSM for those in that group who qualified - you don't; VA permits are only valid for a year, after which you have to requalify (so potentially, if they find a Dutch resident in the meantime, your permit will not be renewed); once VA is granted, you get a sticker in your passport.

Both stickers say you are legally entitled to live and work in the Netherlands.

Ok but still my last question remains uncleared, whether I need a visa or not to enter the Netherlands once GVVA approved.

The IND has a Twitter feed where you can ask general questions such as this; try asking on there.

Hello again,
My employer has confirmed that they have applied for the GVVA permit with TEV procedure, the Entry and Residence Procedure which means they have applied for MVV also. They have no idea about MVV but they confirmed the TEV procedure so I am assuming.

Hello All,

Today I got a news from my NL employer that the IND has rejected my work permit request saying that they should look for a local resource.

How can we handle such situation or can we challenge for that decision ?

Pls help me.

Hi again.

Sorry to hear this news.  What they are telling you is that there are people already living in Holland who are looking for work and have the skills you have.  Unfortunately, this is a legitimate reason for a work permit to be turned down.

If your employer can provide evidence that they have tried to recruit locally, but had no success because of .......... whatever reason; they will need to provide evidence that they had done this, they could go back to the IND and see if they can persuade them to change their mind.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello,

Actually that is not the case.

Earlier, IND requested for evidence that the employer tried to recruit locally, but had no success due to rare technology skills and my employer had submitted all the evidence for that.
And now, they denied the work permit saying that the employer should train the local people and hire for this opening but as far as I know this is not a valid reason to reject the work permit. The technology we are working on is very rare and no institute can teach you this technology for free in the market and hence the employer is hiring me because I have that expertise.

How can we deal with such case ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi again.

That may well be your opinion, but assuming that's what your boss told the IND, the people that you had to convince don't agree with your summary; they either know or think that's not the case.

Whatever, you can appeal the decision; there is a page on the IND website that tells you how, this link will take you there.  I suggest you read that and then discuss it further with your boss.  He/she may well want to consider taking legal advice so as to expedite this matter.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi I'm on the same situation can I know whether there are any chances that an appeal with relevant justification could work?

Hi I got a job offer from a dutch company and my employer applied to IND .he is a non recognized company. But unfortunately the visa had got denied asking the employer to look more people locally. But my employer had appealed again by mentioning reasons to hire me. I just want to know does it helps ? Are there any success stories who went through same situation and got approved again.

Looking forward to hear from you soon

Thanks and kind regards