Short Term Tourist Visa Renewal to Stop After 1st of Jan 2020

A lot of immigration companies are now preparing for the new law that would be coming into effect on the 1st of January 2020, which would prevent the renewal of the short-term tourist visa, unless, for example, you choose a different jurisdiction/city. etc.

Previous short-term resident permit holders who renewed every year, will now not be allowed to do so from the 1st of January 2020 without giving a sufficient enough reason for the immigration department to renew.

I have been told, new applications will not be affected by this.

Still trying to find out the official source/gazette notification on this.

My colleague found this update on facebook, (apologies I don't have the exact URL from where this was taken):

''About Ikamet Permissions.
If you stay in Turkey for more than 90 days, you must obtain a residence permit.
After that, if you continue to stay you must apply for the extension of your residence permit via the e-Ikamet system from 60 days before your residence permit expires and any name or address changed in such cases in twenty working days.
The foreigners who have been granted a short term residence permit for a period of a maximum of one year within the framework of subparagraph 31-1 (e) of Law number 6464 [foreigners who will stay in Turkey for Tourism purposes] in cases of absence of a reason for a new residence permit instead of offering justified reasons other than tourism ,their residence permit requests for the 'same purpose' will be disapproved as of 01/01.2020.''
Although it cannot be stated by the DGMM in the above notice [they have to stay impartial] , one operator on the 157 helpline stated to a caller that this ''should not'' apply to those applying with passports issued in the EU, USA, Canada, Australia, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Norway, Chile, New Zealand, China and Russia . [It is to be assumed that after Brexit the UK would be added to the above list.]
If the information from 157 is correct it appears that it may not affect every Nationality applying for a renewal RP for touristic purposes [ie.those renting a property or a Letter of Living Permission” [ Taahhutname ]. BUT if the GOC officer sees fit,a renewal under Tourism can be refused from any applicant of any nationality.
This seems to be an extension of what Istanbul GOC implemented in 2018 where some applicants from Syria & some Asian countries [no discrimination intended or implied] were thought to have obtained false RP application supporting documents from agents of a poor reputation &/or those working here illegally, so this thinned out the suspected illegal applications.
For those that the above notification may affect,if you can legitimately change your type of Residence Permit renewal application to other than 'touristic' [see next paragraph] then your RP application will be considered.
Those holding a Work Permit, Family Residence Permit, Student Residence Permit or a Tapu [property owners] will NOT be affected by this change of procedure.

So you mean that renewal of tourist residency for citizens of UK, EU, USA, Canada... will continue even if they stay in the same city or not change their residency name?

I don't say anything. Deduce yourself from the announcement. I think it is a deterrent to flush out all the over-stayers, illegal immigrants and those who are abusing the privilege, like coming here on a tourist visa and then working without authorization. This is the perfect storm to dump water on their plans.

Make sense. Thank you fou your reply.