Overstaying my tourist visa a day

My 90tg day is the 27th, tomorrow.

It is much more convenient that I leave on the 28th instead.

I'm wondering if there will be a fine, and how much.
Hello- just some info on what happened when I overstayed my tourist visa in Turkey:

I overstayed my 90 day tourist visa by 121 days, and was fined approx ~1000 TL
I was stopped at the Istanbul airport by passport Control when trying to leave the country.
They made me go to the immigration office inside the Istanbul airport, where they gave me the fine. You Must pay the fine IN CASH, so I had to use the atm there.
Once paid, I was given a receipt for proof of payment and sent on my way back to passport control.
Just make sure you have enough time at the airport to do the whole process of the immigration office, paying the fine, etc, so that you don't miss your flight.

I am now back in Turkey in the process of gaining residency, and I was let back in to the country with no issues.

I hope this helps you!
That's why It is good to reside either Izmir and Bodrum only a few miles off the coast  there are Greek Islands for re-entry  back to Turkey ,that's another 90 days for future reference.

@Baybars Zaimoglu  That was the old rule, at least since 2015 the tourist visa is for a total of 90 days within a 180 day period from first entry.

@hughesa1 The first month's fine is $25x2, then $5x2 per month, plus TL240 admin fee, TL160 card fee, and TL1033.60 for a one-time visa if exempt. Card and residency violation fees result from overstaying a valid permit. Then you have to be careful about the visa duration that will determine if you will be banned. After 90 days, you're banned for 1 month, and the ban lengthens gradually. If you overstay a 30-day visa, you'll be jailed for 30 days at the officer's discretion. Non-payment results in a 5-year ban.

@Baybars Zaimoglu Visa runs do not work in Turkey. Always 90-180.

@Katie Erickson Very helpful. It is very nice of you to share this  experience.

@Baybars Zaimoglu 😁 Nice thoughts but doesn't work like this. They count 90 days in the last 6 month. Practically one can stay 3 month, then 3 month have to go, then can come back again 3 month.

@Pariste Apologies for me to be EU citizen, Turkish people are good (especially in Turkey but also in eg Netherlands). Very welcome I would say, even more than that, the EU needs Turkey in a way. (relatively young people).

I lived my life very hard working and just could not take it anymore (no discrimination from myself, in my company I had people from Cameroon, Morocco, Poland, Hungary, ...).  Hence (on my account) went to semi-retirement with 54 (but what is the problem if I spend and take care of myself?)

But of course you can expect on this forum very cynical remarks from me, and I will continue to do so, however I see nothing wrong with people with a budget coming to Turkey, I have no problem goot Turkish people coming to help Europe.

Yes I have anger management issue, but are my replies or posts really unreasonable?
Hello everyone,

Please note that some posts have been removed from this thread.

Kindly avoid any unnecessary debates on the forum please.

Thank you

Cheryl
Expat.com team
Cheryl,
Don't point finger on me, but to to guy who overreacted.
In addition I asked him to leave me alone and he continued.  What is this message about ? Other people didn't agreed with the guy either. I think you did not read all the conversation.
yes cheryl, it was improper to remove reactions of other members where keeping weirdo's..
Whatever ... So much stupidity in this world and so many psychopaths, I really don't care !

@Borraro Well, seems to me she's clever...

The post of Katie is excellent and probably reflects realitiy, nevertheless the rules are there, I am sad that once breaching you can buy it off with a very very limited amount. What rules really mean (are they relevant). My sincere apologies but breaching is breaching (even if the rules do not make sense).

My comment would be on income taxes, I do not know what you entered or left, but the 180 rule on world wide income might become an issue (as a side note I have no income).

Another note on rules, one is supposed to change driving license into a Turkish one after initial entrance, apparently there are ways around it, but in any case we applied, I am old anyhow so probably I need it even if remigrating, but still.

Apart from driving license the 180 rule is important (for the UK it is not so easy as 1st April and most of the rest of world 1st Jan).

@d4zt7bsj can someone be jailed for overstaying their residence permit?

@olorna18 Does not matter jailed or not, there are rules, why should you overstay, very clear what the entrance means. I do not like people not following the rules, what is the excuse?

@Katie Erickson ..I'm planning travel in turkey soon on tourist visa is life expensive there? N the people are friendly

@d4zt7bsj can someone be jailed for overstaying their residence permit?
-@Guest5782

They can be but it is extremely rare. Turkey just either wants you to pay your fine(And leave without ban) or not pay your fine, and then they can ban you anywhere from 3 months to 5 years. I heard now they are mostly handing out 5 year bans and then you have to pay a fine at the Turkish embassy before you can travel back.

@Katie Erickson

Hi,

I overstayed for less than this and received a 3 month ban - even though I paid the fine.

I have been informed I must apply in person at the uk consulate now - as apposed to using the visa free process as normal.

Steve 

@Katie Erickson

Hi,

I overstayed for less than this and received a 3 month ban - even though I paid the fine.

I have been informed I must apply in person at the uk consulate now - as apposed to using the visa free process as normal.

Steve 

@Katie Erickson how long did you wait to re-enter to Turkey again?

@stevegoodwinuk Sorry, rules are rules, why did you overstay, fines, punishment, I think it is clear what the tules are, I have no sympathy at all for those who overstay.

@stevegoodwinuk

Is the period of prohibition stated on your reciept?

@stevegoodwinuk
Is the period of prohibition stated on your reciept?
-@Fredswede

I have heard different things. I heard 1. Its supposed to be stamped in your passport if your banned with a different stamp. Or 2. They are supposed to tell you when you are paying your fine if your banned or not.

I have also heard other people recently stating that even though they didn't get banned when they left Turkey after paying the fine apparently Turkey later on banned them from the country. Nothing is very clear about it or how it works. There is some articles addressing it on the government website but its also not clear. Saying if you pay the fine you still could be banned and its not guaranteed you won't be banned.

Only a stamp in passport if you get banned for 5 years I heard, and if you get banned for example 3 month, then they will write that on the reciept, normally.

Yes, it feels like it is not clear and maybe you will enter the country after 3 month.

This combination: No ban written on the reciept, wait 3 month and get a new passport number that not link to the old passport overstay.

But if you are banned for real and not only told by an officer that you "should stay away 3 month", then that combination is useless, I guess.

Edit: Cause the general rule, are if you pay the overstay, then you can come back after 3 month.

Only a stamp in passport if you get banned for 5 years I heard, and if you get banned for example 3 month, then they will write that on the reciept, normally.
Yes, it feels like it is not clear and maybe you will enter the country after 3 month.

This combination: No ban written on the reciept, wait 3 month and get a new passport number that not link to the old passport overstay.

But if you are banned for real and not only told by an officer that you "should stay away 3 month", then that combination is useless, I guess.

Edit: Cause the general rule, are if you pay the overstay, then you can come back after 3 month.
-@Fredswede

Recently I overstayed for 3 months. I had my tourist ikhamet, and I reapplied for it. Turns out the worker at the office didn't like me, and threw my documents out in the garbage and never logged anything in the system. I waited the full 90 days for my ikhemet to process, and nothing. On the 91st day I had the foreigner help center log a query with the office which then replied back an hour later saying I am missing documents. When the worker checked she said weird there is nothing in here about any missing documents. You will need to go to the office.

Now I was already 30 days over. I applied when I had 60 days left on my Ikhemet. I went to the office, and they said we can't find the documents come back next week. I did that and came back the next week. They searched again, and still couldn't find it, and then tried to claim directly to my face that I never applied there. While I had copies, and pictures of my documents, plus my case number and number with the foreign help office showing that I applied there. Not only that but even it was logged in the ikhemet system I applied for a renewal there.

Then I left, and redid all the documents to reapply there. But now because my ikhemet is expired and my visa expired after I recieved my ikhemet. They won't accept a new renewal for me. Not only did they throw out my documents, and not take any responsibility for it. But now they tell me I'm in the country illegally by two months. The worker did this knowing that I would have to leave Turkey.

I said whatever forget the ikhamet then and decided to stay another month by the time I settled everything. When I left, I had to pay 2,500 TL in fees at the airport. They didn't ban me. I flew to North Cyprus, and came back the next day, and they allowed me back into the country. First, they sent me to the police desk which then he gave me a paper to take back to passport control and then they let me back in.

I never received a ban, and I didn't have to stay out of the country for 3 months. Though I had to go through extra process when I came back to the airport the next day they still let me back in after getting a paper from the police desk that I gave to passport control which then they let me back into the country.

@Randomguy2000

Maybe the reason is that North Cyprus are the Turkish part of Cyprus? ;-)

I heard that if you got rejected for ikamet and leave within 3 month, pay overstay and with no ban then you can come back the next day with a new Tourist visa but you have to wait 6 months until you can apply for ikamet again and then you have to apply for the first time again(Start over).

The Tourist service told my friend to try to go back to Turkiye after 3 months even if the officer told her to stay away 6 months and this beacuse no ban is stated on the reciept.

Maybe the officer wrote in the system 6 month but forgot to write that in the ”ban-register” too?

And then if she stay away 3 months maybe they will not dig in deeper in the system and she will get a new Visa 90/180 days.

@Randomguy2000
Maybe the reason is that North Cyprus are the Turkish part of Cyprus? ;-)

I heard that if you got rejected for ikamet and leave within 3 month, pay overstay and with no ban then you can come back the next day with a new Tourist visa but you have to wait 6 months until you can apply for ikamet again and then you have to apply for the first time again(Start over).

The Tourist service told my friend to try to go back to Turkiye after 3 months even if the officer told her to stay away 6 months and this beacuse no ban is stated on the reciept.

Maybe the officer wrote in the system 6 month but forgot to write that in the ”ban-register” too?
And then if she stay away 3 months maybe they will not dig in deeper in the system and she will get a new Visa 90/180 days.
-@Fredswede

Turkey is the only one to recognize North Cyprus as their own country(Have their own immigration system, and stamps). Otherwise I would have not been able to come back to Turkey on a new Visa since I renewed it while in North Cyprus.

Maybe because the reason why I was not banned is because I overstayed my Ikhemet and not visa. No idea. Really at this point it seems that if you get banned or not is up to some random people in the government who make the decision.

I was not rejected for my ikhemet, but infact my documents were lost. But if you are rejected you don't have to wait 6 months. You have an appeal process that you can do right away if you are rejected. After the appeal process if you are rejected a 2nd time then maybe that is when the 6 months kick in that you can't reapply for the ikhamet. But I haven't really read past how it works if you are denied after the appeal process.

2nd Turkey now is mostly rejecting tourist ikhamets for everyone. Though there may be a possibility you can start your own business in Turkey, and to get your business ikhamet with no issue since I have heard no one getting rejected for it. But I also do not hear that many people applying for a business ikhamet in the first place.

3rd. If your visa is up, and you do leave Turkey. You can't come back for 3 months since they signed onto the same visa regime as the EU. But according to Turkish law you can technically come back before the 3 months are up, and they will give you 10 days in the country to apply for the ikhamet, and start the ikhamet process. If this is honored or not I really don't know.

@Randomguy2000

Yes, if you come back before 3 month the system will say stop, and they will sometimes offer you to apply for ikamet within 10 days.

She tried to enter Turkiye after 8 weeks, and they stopped her at the airport/passport control.

But no one told her about a 6 month ban. They brought her into an office and then she showed the reciept, and that she paid 2500 lira 8 weeks ago, and the officer told her to come back after 3 month from that departure date.

Very strange. If she is banned for 6 month then the "passport-controller" should tell her that in the beginning, or at least inform that to the officer who brought her to the office, yes?

But she is sure that the officer, 8 weeks ago, told her to stay away 6 month or apply for a consular visa abroad.

Maybe, Turkiye cannot ban Tourists who pay the fine for 3 month overstay, but the new system is to tell Tourists to stay away and apply for a consular visa abroad? Cause I heard this happens to many now.

If this is the new system, I think it is better to let the Tourist pay 50 Euro for a special visa at the airport, after paying the fine for overstay, instead of apply and pay, via an embassy,

She will apply for a consluar visa because it is not worth it, to be sent back again. No guarantee they will let her in after 3 month, if they deep digger into the system and find out 6 month decision. But she is not banned, I guess.

She tried to enter Turkiye after 8 weeks, and they stopped her at the airport/passport control.
But no one told her about a 6 month ban. They brought her into an office and then she showed the reciept, and that she paid 2500 lira 8 weeks ago, and the officer told her to come back after 3 month from that departure date.

Very strange. If she is banned for 6 month then the "passport-controller" should tell her that in the beginning, or at least inform that to the officer who brought her to the office, yes?

But she is sure that the officer, 8 weeks ago, told her to stay away 6 month or apply for a consular visa abroad.

Maybe, Turkiye cannot ban Tourists who pay the fine for 3 month overstay, but the new system is to tell Tourists to stay away and apply for a consular visa abroad? Cause I heard this happens to many now.

If this is the new system, I think it is better to let the Tourist pay 50 Euro for a special visa at the airport, after paying the fine for overstay, instead of apply and pay, via an embassy,

She will apply for a consluar visa because it is not worth it, to be sent back again. No guarantee they will let her in after 3 month, if they deep digger into the system and find out 6 month decision. But she is not banned, I guess.
-@Fredswede

Correct. They should have told her. But this is Turkey, and they don't operate in a clear way most of the time. Even most of their rules are shadow rules, and not offical. If you are banned they are supposed to tell you right away when you pay the fine before you depart the country. But now people are saying they have been getting bans after they leave from Turkey.

They should have a system online to check if your banned from Turkey or not, and they don't. I heard the only way to check it is by going to the embassy which is maybe why they are saying to apply at the embassy since the embassy is the one who can check. Did she apply for an E-visa or come from a country where she can come visa free?

Visa free, from an EU country.

When she left the officer told her to stay away 6 month, but after she paid 2500 and got the reciept there is nothing on the reciept about a ban.

If she is banned the passport control should tell her that immediatelly? The ban should be visible immediatelly when he scans the passport.

Now she has a new passport number cause she had to change(old passport soon out of date) and maybe with a new passport number and try to re-enter after 3 month has passed, will stamp her in, but she want to apply for a consular visa now.

Visa free, from an EU country.
When she left the officer told her to stay away 6 month, but after she paid 2500 and got the reciept there is nothing on the reciept about a ban.

If she is banned the passport control should tell her that immediatelly? The ban should be visible immediatelly when he scans the passport.

Now she has a new passport number cause she had to change(old passport soon out of date) and maybe with a new passport number and try to re-enter after 3 month has passed, will stamp her in, but she want to apply for a consular visa now.
-@Fredswede

Remember they aren't only checking her number. They are also checking her first name, last name against the system, and they take your photo everytime you come into the country and they have it on file. They can easily see that another profile has the same name and picture but not matching passport number.

I would have her go to the embassy, and consulate and ask them directly and say listen I paid my fine they told me im not banned, and when I come back they tell me im banned. Check my status and tell me if I am banned or not and why I am banned.

And yes the people she pays the fine to(Or refuses to pay the fine to) is supposed to give her a document saying she is banned, and how long she is banned for. When she comes into the country the passport control may not have the exact reason. But when they send her back to the police desk then he will have the reason of why you are banned from the country. But since you can't check why you are banned you have to go to the embassy to check with them.

If she is banned she can make an appeal through the embassy or a lawyer in Turkey to try to get herself unbanned from Turkey.

Yes she will apply for a special Visa at the embassy, and that is what the officer told her to do, then she can come back in. It is a Tourist visa to which revoke the ban.

But if she is not banned, she can come back after 3 month, but not worth it, to travel and take the risk.

when i paid my fine they told me i can come back tomorrow.is it true?can i go back to Turkey before 3 month?my fiance lives there i want to visit him

@Katie Erickson after how many months did you go back to Turkey

when i paid my fine they told me i can come back [link under review] it true?can i go back to Turkey before 3 month?
my fiance lives there i want to visit him
-@phaezehsalimi

Yes it is true. But some people get bans after they leave Turkey. If you want to be 100% sure then make sure to check with the Turkish embassy or consulate.

@phaezehsalimi

Normal is that if you pay the fine,  and not get a ban, you can come back after 3 month with no issues.

But if you try to enter before 3 month, then they maybe will ask you to sign a paper to apply for ikamet within 10 days.

But you can apply for a special Tourist visa at embassy. Contact the embassy.

@phaezehsalimi

Before August to December, it was the same. The Tourist asked if "I can come back"? No problem, they answered,

But during September-December, many Tourist are saying they been told to stay away 3-6 month.

Now in February they told you, that it is okay to come back. No ban or info to stay away.

Maybe Turkiye changed back to the old filosofy and wants Tourists to come back, if they paid the fine?

It changes all the time. I do not know just thinking.