Getting married in NL as a tourist or waiting for MVV

Hi! I'm currently living/working in the Netherlands, my boyfriend is still in Argentina. We are starting the procedures for his MVV, but the non-marriage certificates and other documents are taking too long in Argentina.
My questions are the following:
1- How long does the MVV usually takes for partners? (mine took only 2 weeks but I was coming with a contract already so I assume those have higher priority)
2- He wouldn't need a tourist visa to come (with the Argentinian passport he can spend up to 6 months in the EU as a tourist), so would it be easier for him to come as a tourist so that we get married here directly? (I have my residence card for one year) Would he be able to get a visa with a working permit then?

Thank you in advance!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

To answer your questions:

1.  90 days.

2.  He can't do that, you can't apply for MVV from within the Netherlands.

I just checked out the IND website and I can't find any reference to a specific Marriage visa.  However, you can get married there, I suggest you go to your Gemeente and make enquiries there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

ceciarg wrote:

Hi! I'm currently living/working in the Netherlands, my boyfriend is still in Argentina. We are starting the procedures for his MVV, but the non-marriage certificates and other documents are taking too long in Argentina.
My questions are the following:
1- How long does the MVV usually takes for partners? (mine took only 2 weeks but I was coming with a contract already so I assume those have higher priority)
2- He wouldn't need a tourist visa to come (with the Argentinian passport he can spend up to 6 months in the EU as a tourist), so would it be easier for him to come as a tourist so that we get married here directly? (I have my residence card for one year) Would he be able to get a visa with a working permit then?

Thank you in advance!

Hi.
1. It takes a maximum of 90 days, could be sooner.

2. Yes you can get married on a tourist visa. But then he still needs to go back, and then you start the mvv procedure.

Has he passed the exam?

Thank you for your answer!
I checked the website too, and it said that if one of the two had a residence permit (or was dutch) you could get married here...but what you are saying is that he would have to go back after to wait for the visa in Argentina anyway, right?
Then it's probably just better to wait for the partner visa then =) Thanks!

As far as I know, he doesn't need to, we were both exempt because of my type of visa (I came as a researcher)

Thank you all for your answers =) We would just have to wait for the partner visa then

ceciarg wrote:

Thank you for your answer!
I checked the website too, and it said that if one of the two had a residence permit (or was dutch) you could get married here...but what you are saying is that he would have to go back after to wait for the visa in Argentina anyway, right?
Then it's probably just better to wait for the partner visa then =) Thanks!

Hi again,

That about sums it up.  I agree that it would be easier to sort out your "partnership", then you sponsor his visa, you can do it all online using your DigiD account you were given when you got your BSN.  You can then sort out marriage at your leisure.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team