Just for fun: History of Hungary

Hello everyone,

Whether you're a history buff or not, here's a chance to learn about the history of Hungary. Below are a few trivia questions to test whether you have the correct facts.

1. Name 3 iconic monuments/structures in Hungary
2. What is the name of the national anthem? When and by whom was it created?
3. Name 2 eminent national historical figures
4. When is the national day celebrated in Hungary?
5. Which are the most important turning points in the Hungarian history?

Thanks for participating,
Diksha

Remember Mohács

But history is being made every day:

Apparently all Hungarians are Turkish now - OV supposedly said so.

This list is basically impossible to fill. Every question can be answered with varied opinions and with dozens of options rather than just the limited number requested. But I will do my own, bias expat personal best.

Diksha wrote:

1. Name 3 iconic monuments/structures in Hungary

Budapest Castle. National Parliament building, Chain Bridge over the Danube.

Diksha wrote:

3. Name 2 eminent national historical figures

Too many.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hungarians
Personally, if I had to select just two, it would be Franz Liszt, and Zsigmond Móricz

Diksha wrote:

4. When is the national day celebrated in Hungary?

There is more than one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_ho … in_Hungary

Two were failures (I am including foundation day as a national day for total of three days). The 1848 revolution and the 1956 revolution. As far as I know (but I may be wrong), Hungary is the only country that celebrates two failures as national days....

Diksha wrote:

5. Which are the most important turning points in the Hungarian history?

Everyone says Mohács, but there were so many issues in Hungarian history, due to its position in central Europe, that I am not so sure that is definitive. Particularly if one is more realist, and considerate for current events; then more recent historical issues, within the past century (eg- Treaty of Trianon 99 years ago), are maybe more relevant. It all depends on one's perspective.

klsallee wrote:

Everyone says Mohács, but there were so many issues in Hungarian history, due to its position in central Europe, that I am not so sure that is definitive. Particularly if one is more realist, and considerate for current events; then more recent historical issues, within the past century (eg- Treaty of Trianon 99 years ago), are maybe more relevant. It all depends on one's perspective.

I think you are right.

Trianon is far more important than Mohács.  More recent history is more interesting really as it's closer to us. 

We might also include the enforced deportation of the Jews in WW2, Raoul Wallenberg's work, capture/murder by the Soviets and of course, the fall of Communism.

When you talk about history, it's all chained. Trianon is a critical point, but without the 1867 Compromise there wouldn't have been a Hungary to be dismembered. Or you can argue that Vienna's takeover of Bosnia ultimately triggered WWI which led to Trianon. Etc. Endless room for argument.

And while it's not a monument as such, the Crown of Saint Stephen is pretty clearly the most significant historical object in Hungary: it certainly has monumental status.

zif wrote:

When you talk about history, it's all chained. Trianon is a critical point, but without the 1867 Compromise there wouldn't have been a Hungary to be dismembered. Or you can argue that Vienna's takeover of Bosnia ultimately triggered WWI which led to Trianon. Etc. Endless room for argument.

And while it's not a monument as such, the Crown of Saint Stephen is pretty clearly the most significant historical object in Hungary: it certainly has monumental status.

Good points indeed. 

Historical monuments - lots of them to choose from for sure.   If I was listing significant monuments, I'd be here all day but here's a list of what by  way of sites comes to my immediate mind (in no particular order):

The Tomb of Gül Baba
Aquincum
St Stephen's Basilica
Eger Minaret
Sümeg Castle

All monuments of extraordinary history and events in HU.

I could have included Balaton or the vineyards too but I was thinking of buildings I'd actually visited or passed while on the road.

Let's not forget my favorite, the Esztergom Basilica, a church so massive you can only appreciate it properly from another country. (Well, since Trianon.)

zif wrote:

Let's not forget my favorite, the Esztergom Basilica, a church so massive you can only appreciate it properly from another country. (Well, since Trianon.)

You're completely right. I had left that off my list.  Stunning building and location. 

While there, we might as well throw in Visegrad castle too.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Sümeg Castle

FWIIW: Sümeg Castle is privately owned. And some authorities claim the renovations were more for the benefit of tourists than historically accurate. Just saying....

The Daily Mail is running an interesting set of photos comparing Budapest right after World War II with today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav … ation.html