Driving in belgium

Partner just came home with some shiny blue Ls for me.
Im 45 and never passed my driving test but did have lessons years ago.
I know i need to pass tests and stuff but just wondering if i can have a bit of practice with my partner before i get professional help, what i need to do so its ok... ie; provisional licence or anything??
(Partner has held licence 5 years)

If you want to practice with your partner, she should have been in possession of Belgian license for at least 8 years.

And yes, you have to pass the theory test first.

If I have an international driving license from my original country, for how long can I drive with it? Also can apply with it for the driving exam only?

Hello,

Start directly with a driving school. Because they have vehicles with double orders with adapted insurance.

It will also be less stressful than with your partner ...

Ahmed_Talaat wrote:

If I have an international driving license from my original country, for how long can I drive with it? Also can apply with it for the driving exam only?

As soon as your residence is registered by the townhall, the international driving license is no longer valid to drive in Belgium.

hoangtrunghieu wrote:
Ahmed_Talaat wrote:

As soon as your residence is registered by the townhall, the international driving license is no longer valid to drive in Belgium.

I thought so too, thanksnfor the info.
One more thing, can I join the exam directly or I have to enter a driving school first?

I found that I can exchange my original driving license  into Belgian license if my original country is one of the countries which have signed an agreement with Belgium and I found that my country is one of them!

Source:
https://thesquare.gent/getting-started/ … s-licence/

I'll kick his arse out the car if he causes me any stress, but thanks.  the intention is to go with a school as well but I just want extra driving experience too.... i had a lot of lessons that went to waste so a bit more driving than an hours lesson a week will do me good.

I thought it was 5 but if its 8, then i'll have to just go with a school.  thanks for the answer.

Dears,

Is it possible to exchange driving license with temporary ID document given by commune?
Do I have to wait to get physical ID?

Note: My country have agreement with Belgium to exchange driving license.

Thanks in advance.

hypophrenia wrote:

Dears,

Is it possible to exchange driving license with temporary ID document given by commune?
Do I have to wait to get physical ID?

Note: My country have agreement with Belgium to exchange driving license.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

That will depends of which model of temporary ID document you have. Better to ask directly at city hall.

Dears, 3 weeks ago I went to receive my ID card and I asked there about exchanging my driving license, after some discussions between me, the Gemeente employee and a police officer, the current law in Belgium, they leave the foreigner resident to drive with his/her local driving license for 6 months starting from the date of 1st time registration in the Gemeente after entering the country, after the 6 months passes, he/she should start the Belgian Driving License process, they informed me as I can exchange my license to Belgian one without test, I have to wait for 6 weeks for license inspection process, during these 6 weeks I'm not allowed to drive in Belgium because my local license is with them and my international license is not valid any more.
During these 6 months I can't apply for Belgian driving license until the 6 months passes!