Payment methods in Oman

Hello everyone,

Once you're settled in Oman, you will need to make some basic purchases, like groceries or pay bills. Hence, it is essential to know the payment methods available in your host country.

Which are the most common payment methods in Oman? Why would you prefer some forms over others?

Does the amount of money or the type of paid services (groceries, bills, rent, etc.) determine the choice of payment methods?

Are there any apps at your disposal which make the payment process easier in Oman?

Can certain foreign currencies be used to make payments?

Have your habits in terms of payment methods changed since moving to Oman?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla,

First of all you are welcome to Oman and I wish you a good stay. The most common payment method in Oman is CASH - no kidding- as the Debit/Credit cards are not used everywhere like local markets and shops, fish and Vegetable markets

However, you can use debit/ credit cards in all government establishments, Hypermarkets, insurance companies, Medical Centers and some fuel stations

For rents some landlords or real estate agencies would  take Cheques as deposit for 3 months but I recommend you transfer by Bank Application which can guarantee that you are doing payment regularly

Local or small groceries in Muscat started using credit/ Debit card machine but I am not sure about the interiors or other provinces

Welcome in Muscat/Oman, in advance.

As far as transaction question concern my strong feeling use 90% Debit or Credit card except 10% places like cash transaction for Taxi use, take tea/coffee from small vendors.. Except every where pls use card only.

So you will not loose money from pocket/purse or even you can save round of money/coins.

Please save my what app numbers also if you require to ask in other points too.

Regards/Nishant

Hai
I am residing in Muscat since the year 2012.
I have gone to nizwa and salala too.
All the hypermarket, petrol pumps will accept credit and debit card for purchase.
Bank application offers to recharge mobiles, pay internet bills. Indian school won't accept card transaction. You need to bring cash in hand to pay fees in school.
Earleir after swiping the card at outlet, we need to provide signature. After we used to get chip enabled card, for which only entering the PIN number is enough. This year 2019 banks offer Wifi enabeled debit card. Which means we can pay the money at outlets without providing PIN number too.
Most outlet will accept card swipe even for small amount like one riyal and two riyal
Small outlet like grocery shop and coffee shop won't accept card. Where you need to pay only cash.