Moving in with a registered partner.

Hello, my partner is an EU national living in the Netherlands. We are planning to move in together. I got my facilitation visa and will be going to the IND office after I arrive. We called the IND office and they said that when I submit my documents, they will cancel my Schengen visa, and give me some document or Visa to stay in the Netherlands while waiting for the decision. How long is the document valid for? Does it allow me to work in the Netherlands? Can I leave Europe while waiting for the decision? And what happens if the IND response isn't positive? Can I apply again? Or do I need to leave? If anyone went though the process, please share your experience with me. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Dutch residence permits are valid for a maximum of 5 years; you can work in the Netherlands and the permit, together with your own national passport will act as a travel document for the other Schengen countries.  Travel under this scheme is for a maximum of 90 days duration and you may not work in other EU countries without first going through that countries national work permit scheme.

If for any reason the IND revoke your residence permit (for example you are no longer in your qualifying relationship), you will have to leave the Netherlands, but you can appeal these decisions.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello, and thanks for the response. However, I'm not talking about the permit. I'm asking about the period in which I wait for the response if I get a permit or not because it can take up to 6 months. I'm wondering if I can work or travel during that time. My partner is an EU national not Dutch.

Hi again,

You'll have to excuse me; we don't deal with many of these visa types, so I had to quickly go and re-read the regulations for facilitation visas.

It can take up to 6 months, but I've never heard of any taking this long - your Schengen visa is only valid for 90 days which IND would then have to re-issue if it were to take that long, so that should give you an idea of how long these things take.  If your case is straight forward and you have all the documents they have asked for, it really shouldn't be an issue.

With regards to work, you can only work once you have a residence permit.

Travel; you'll have a Schengen visa which with your own national passport you can travel to other Schengen countries for up to 90 days at a time.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hey, that's for partners of Dutch Nationals. The process for me id different.

Fatimahabbi wrote:

Hey, that's for partners of Dutch Nationals. The process for me id different.

Yeah - I've just changed my response to reflect your different visa - please re-read it.

Thanks.