Botfly

Is there a botfly problem in Belize?

In Belize, people are the main entree in an insectivora cafeteria. Its not called mosquito coast for nothing. So indeed there are botflies. Plus sandfleas, and mosquitos that carry Dengue, Zika and Chikungunya. There are so called doctor flies and fireants. Also scorpions and a snake called a fer de lance of which the juveniles have pre hensile tails so they swing from the trees and nail u in the neck.If  it crawls, slithers or flies, its in Belize. :)

LOL

I don't think human bot flies are a particular problem in Belize, though they are present in all of Mexico, Central America, and most of South America.  "The Dermatobia hominis is the only species of botfly known to parasitize humans routinely, though other species of flies cause myiasis in humans."-Wikipedia
You can go here if you really want more information- http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creature … ot_fly.htm

"Dr flies" AKA "yellow flies" in FL ( a type of deer fly), I consider to be the major pest. Though not as much of a problem in non-coastal areas, they can leave some nasty bite wounds. DEET is not particularly effective against them, and locals use various concoctions to avoid being bitten.

Thanks

Thank you

If you really want some entertainment - go to You Tube and search Botfly and Belize - there are several videos of tourists who have Botfly eggs that have to get extracted.  I have heard that they are very prevalent around fruit tree orchards.
Wear long pants and long sleeve shirts when in the jungle on near the coast - don't wear bright-colored clothing - white, beige, brown work best. 
Word on the street is that the Botfly prefers tourists with sweet-tasting blood from cruise ship buffet desserts, wearing pink shorts and tanktops, slathered in coconut oil : )

@hockaday

Once you get by the taste they are OK