Mennonite houses

Anyone know about the house that the Mennonites build for people???! Any info most appreciated!

There are three Mennonite house builders on the Internet in Belize:

1. Plett\'s Home Builders (http://www.mauricefield.net/belize/plett.shtml)

2. Linda Vista Lumber and Homes http://www.waterskibelize.com/images/Li … Prices.jpg

3. Midwest Lumber Mill http://www.midwestlumbermill.com/
All three are located in Spanish Lookout, Belize.

There\'s also a guy who comes highly recommended in Belize City called Franz Weib (501-605-5885) in the Ship Yard.

I\'ve never used any of them, so maybe others on the forum can contribute their two cents and/or experiences, or anyone else they know about as well. 

Usually they have floor plans to choose from at set prices, but you can modify or customize if you like.  Good luck!

thank you so much for this information! It is valuable to me although I am just starting to consider my (rather non extravagent) options for living in Belize at least part of the year (when freezing in canada).
By the way, do you know if there is an expat community in Belize City at all? I have been there a few times, and realize the danger of some areas as I know one person in Belize and he lives in the heart of the dangerous area.
thanks!!!

(moderated: no free ads pls)

I have used both Pletts and Linda Vista and would recommend Linda Vista wholeheartedly over the other. Much better quality work. eg In the Plett's house every nail in the hardwood floor is visible; in the LV house none of them are. In Plett's house the ceiling was left to be sanded, sealed and varnished. In the LV house it came already done and for the same price. Overall just much better quality and finishing.

Thank you so much for the information!
Kathy

Just one more thing. They will offer to erect the house on wooden posts that they will provide. I would recommend that you do not do this but build reinforced concrete pillars that will be durable and also not susceptible to termites. Some termites will enter inside the wood from underground rather than visibly up the outside. Concrete posts will avoid this.  Our second home of this kind was attacked by termites in the first 24 hours although it has not been since! You will need to discuss the specs for your posts with the builder you choose. there are many options that you can choose including heat insulation for the roof and walls since a wooden house can get very hot.

Hello My Expat Friends,

I am extremely interested in using the Mennonites to add on to my home prior to my move to San Ignacio. I want to add on 2 rooms and one bathroom. I have heard good things about their workmanship and ethics. 

But, someone told me they saw some siding on a room or house built by the Mennonites, and you could see the sunlight come through the gaps. This is not the kind of workmanship I am interested in hiring. I want my add on to be solid and  and strong.

Has anyone else had experience using/hiring the Mennonite's building for them?  If you have, would you mind sharing your experience with me.

Thank you, LAN

See my recommendation and comparison above.

@BelizeExpertise: Thank you for waking me up on this one. I will need someone who can help me keep everything, on the project, running smoothly so I am not taken advantage of. I have had some bad experiences lately by trusting people way too much.

Also, I went to Linda Vista Lumber and Homes website and the prices displayed are from 2006. I want to add on 2 rooms and and a master bath, but their webpage displayed blueprints to build a house. I wonder if they will do just 2 rooms and a bathroom?

The webpage says to call for an updated price list. I fairly certain there is no email link to the company otherwise I would ask for a soft copy of the price list document.  Oh well, it can wait for my next visit to Belize. I will just have to cool my jets until that time.

To Everyone: Does anyone have a suggestion as what type of contractor could help me with this? The add on will NOT take place for quite some time, but I am looking at the big picture. Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts. ~LAN

we visited all the builders in Spanish Lookout several time to view the work they do.. we decided to use Linda Vista- their workmanship is outstanding. Our house should be ready mid feb 2012 - we purchased a 2 bed home with beautiful baywindow in the livingroom.. 1 bath 16 x 30 with a 6x16 porch... we did a lot of upgrades with our house and still only paid 20,000 usd.

@Jaanyvr thank you for sharing your experience.  I have also made the decision to go with Linda Vista when the time is right.

I would very much appreciate it if you would post here again about your feelings, regarding the quality of Linda Vista's building, after living in your new Belizean home for a few months, and after testing how things hold up after some heavy duty rains. 

How nice for you.  Your new home is almost finished. I hope it's everything you hoped for and more.
Regards,
LAN

lov2travel4sure
u betcha.. i will

Curious if you are still on here and if you have input on your Mennonite home now it has been a year??

Tobar on the way to Spanish Lookout, just past the Iguana Bridge, makes very nice homes.

still here and loving it!
house is wonderful.... no problems at all

Jaanyvr wrote:

we visited all the builders in Spanish Lookout several time to view the work they do.. we decided to use Linda Vista- their workmanship is outstanding. Our house should be ready mid feb 2012 - we purchased a 2 bed home with beautiful baywindow in the livingroom.. 1 bath 16 x 30 with a 6x16 porch... we did a lot of upgrades with our house and still only paid 20,000 usd.

Hi!! couple questions, do you have any pics posted of your home, where did you build and are you living there full time??
Thankyou
Deanna

Brigitte B wrote:

Tobar on the way to Spanish Lookout, just past the Iguana Bridge, makes very nice homes.

Thanks for the input!  Do you know if they have a website, or do you have any pics of places they have done??!!  Thanks!

tobar-construction.com

Brigitte B wrote:

tobar-construction.com

Did you build with these people, if so, can I ask what? where? and how much? and when??
thankyou
Deanna

Bought my house from Linda Vista. I live in it full time. Could not be happier.They built exactly what I wanted, asked questions to make sure they got it right. Great workmanship. On time. Price as quoted.

Expat-in-Belize wrote:

Bought my house from Linda Vista. I live in it full time. Could not be happier.They built exactly what I wanted, asked questions to make sure they got it right. Great workmanship. On time. Price as quoted.

Do you happen to have a blog or story on building your home, utility hook up, where you decided to build, cost, etc//  Would love so see some pics too if yuo care to share

linda vista has the best quality no doubt

Greetings @Jaanyvr, I'm baaack...  How are you?  It is so great to catch up with you again :top:.  Too exciting that you've been living in your new home. Plus the fact, you are so pleased with workmanship. Hurray, it turned out like you planned. How often does that happen?  This is great news!!

I've spent a fair amount of time in Belize, in 2012. I've had to do big item maintenance in the US, and a decent amount of repairs in Belize too. So I have to save for a while now. It's all part of the challenge. I am still unable to move just yet.

Things came up in life and I've moved back to my hometown. I can only visit Belize at this time. My heart grows sader each time I have to return to the USA. I feel happy when I am living in Belize.

How did you manage living in your new home for the first complete year, in Belize?

I look forward to hear back from you and any news you want to share.

Regards,
LAN

Love2Travel4Sure wrote:

Howdy sunnybrook77,

How are you?  Guess what?  I am still here.  How funny. I just answered my buddy Jaanyvr. It's been quite some time since I've been here. Life has thrown me several curve balls, all at the same time, so I have not had the the opportunity to communicate on this great Expat website.

So how (lucky) long have you lived in Belize?

Regards,
LAN

Unfortunatlly we are not living there yet either.  just bought a lot and getting some price quotes at this point.  probably 5 years down the road before we are ready to live there full time.  have a few properties and a number of horses to sell in canada before we can make the big leap!

Hi there Ms. Deanna,

Well I visited your Corazol Town and loved it.  It was a wonderful atmosphere, the people were lovely, and the trade winds were perfect.  Build that house so that you benefit from the trade winds and enjoy. 

Geri

BelizeExpertise wrote:

Just one more thing. They will offer to erect the house on wooden posts that they will provide. I would recommend that you do not do this but build reinforced concrete pillars that will be durable and also not susceptible to termites. Some termites will enter inside the wood from underground rather than visibly up the outside. Concrete posts will avoid this.  Our second home of this kind was attacked by termites in the first 24 hours although it has not been since! You will need to discuss the specs for your posts with the builder you choose. there are many options that you can choose including heat insulation for the roof and walls since a wooden house can get very hot.

Hi there @BelizeExpertise,

Thank you for sharing all your knowledge on the topic, especially using the cement posts for under the home.

After reading your post slowly and carefully, I have a question when you refer to "builder". I like learning what you shared about trying to insulate the home from the heat.  You mention to discuss this with your builder. This is where I am unsure.

When you mention builder, would the Mennonites be considered the builders?  Will the Mennonites support a customer's request to build the home with insulation as part of the plans?

Also, do you know if the Mennonites will perform remodels on a bathroom? If not, do you have any recommendations?

Many thanks for your time and input.
Regards,
LAN

gba327 wrote:

Hi there Ms. Deanna,

Well I visited your Corazol Town and loved it.  It was a wonderful atmosphere, the people were lovely, and the trade winds were perfect.  Build that house so that you benefit from the trade winds and enjoy. 

Geri

AH!! Geri!  you went there!  That is AWESOME.  Do you have pics anywhere to share?  Your story of your adventue??
Deanna

Checked the prices on the Linda Vista homes and are VERY reasonable.  Got a quote on a 18x32 two story, garage/storage on bottom, with clearing the spot, septic, cistern and finished from a local contractor in consejo for $160,000.  Seemed pretty high to me, so definetly have to do more leg work.

@sunnybrook77

I don't have a blog but plenty of pictures i can share. Any way to share your email without posting it in public? I can send you my Picasa album.

I would also love to see your Picasa Web Album if you would share it with. Cathie kl. at. G. Mail.

Hi Donovaka

I founded the link about Mennonite
Maybe you like it

Because of you I lern a lot
Thank you,

88mimi88

[link moderated]

I would love to see your pictures too! We are going to be in Corozal the beginning of July and are exploring all options...building/ renting/ in town/out of town  etc.

Hi!
I am from Nova Scotia! I explored menn houses and there are several good contractors. Long discussions were exchanged on this forum quite a while back. I think you can find them by a search!
good luck!

Looking for updated information on builders. I got a few names and a couple of numbers. Who can give me info about new constructions. I am not looking for a bunch of technical talk, I will see that in the plans. Please, send me contact information viamthis blog pg.

Thanks

LS

Larry,
I am also retired Military and plan to relocate to Belize. Stay in touch

Ruth

Greetings
There are a few different builders who sell what are known as Mennonite houses.  The term refers to pre-manufactured houses that are built in a shop and then trucked to your site.   Typically they are 16 feet wide and come in varying lengths.
The builders are mostly from the town of Spanish Lookout in West Central Belize.

In order to be trucked across the country the houses have to be sturdy. Look closely at quality of construction.  The houses I have seen are not well finished.  Joints are not tight, nail heads exposed, etc.  Light fixtures will be inexpensive, lower quality.  Same with plumbing fixtures.

All wood construction creates a large exposure to termites which are everywhere in Belize.   Owning a wooden Mennonite house commits you to some kind of termite control program which will most likely be chemical sprays.

If you look at the complete cost of construction,  i.e. foundation, water and sewer system, site electrical,   you may find that a site built house of concrete block will be about the same price without the long term maintenance of a wooden house.

If you are interested in a quick, affordable housing option,  look around Spanish Lookout for a Mennonite home builder.

Best Regards
ParadiseBelize

Hi Weatherships. Hope I got that right. I tried the links that you put on your blog. I couldn't get the link to go. Is the number and Franz, for constructing homes. Would you be okay with sending me a PM, with more direct contacts. I am ready to move forward with a project.

Thanks.

Larry

Hi Ruth. Sorry I am just getting back to you. Yes. It would be nice to remain in contact. I plan a trip here real soon to get some paperwork done. So Private message me, Blog me, however you choos

Thanks for your military support. Hope to meet in the future.

Larry

The Mennonites build our home and we thinks it's beautiful.