Plans

Hello everyone, so I am considering moving to Portugal within the next year.
So here’s my situation:
I’m a Sephardic Jew living in Los Angeles and when I heard that Spain and Portugal passed a law that allows Sephardic Jews with ancestry from their region to become citizens I was very excited.
I’ve done a lot of research on the Algarve region and think it would be ideal for me to relocate.
From what I see it looks like a place that is warm, welcoming and very affordable.
Also it seems that there are many expats living here, which makes it even more attractive.
I do speak some Portuguese and can also read and write Portuguese.
I was married to a Brazilian woman for 13 years so I picked up the language.
I plan on sustaining myself with the money I saved in my IRA, so I plan on spending no more than $2,000.00 per month for all my expenses. Does that seem doable in this region ?

Hello Vbpro
I’m pretty new to Portugal but can give the following information. Yes the Algarve region is definitely the area with the longest summer. I do believe that most Portuguese themselves would choose to live there.
Speaking some Portuguese is a huge advantage.
Your budget will be more than enough to live very comfortably. Nice apartments are to be had in the 5-700 euro bracket. Thereafter food etc is very affordable, even eating out.
Minimum wage in Portugal is only €580 but I think it would be very difficult to live decently on anything much under a €1000?
The big surprise you will find is the cost of a  vechicle, expect almost double what you will pay in the US.
I think that using a lawyer in the initial stages is advisable, Portuguese law is ‘different’ and it will save money and time in the long run.
If a country that is hospitable and serene and safe is your target, then Portugal is for you
Good Luck!

Exchange Rate as of 11/05/2019

1 EUR = 1.12313 USD
1 USD = 0.890370 EUR

$2000 = €1780.74