HOA Fees etc.

We've noticed that none of the apartments we've been looking at purchasing don't list any maintenance fees etc. Here in the US condos and townhomes almost all have HOA fees. Can anyone shed some light in this for me. We're just wanting to prepare for all expenses.

Yes, in the US they normally specify how much the monthly fee for the Home Association Fee.
Some HOA fees are so high which always made me not liking buying Condos due to the high HOA Fee. Some fees can be more than your mortgage payment.

In Portugal, HOA fees do not usually appear on the lease ads. You have to ask the Real Estate agent, or directly to the condominium. What I can say is that HOA fees can vary a lot, from 25 up to 40 eur/month in a standard building, to 100 up to (?)  eur in closed condominiums. I don't know what you are looking for, so I can't help you much...

We're looking to buy an apartment. The information you provided was actually very helpful. Thank you.

I'm with you. That's why I never bought a TH or condo here.

That information should be disclosed and not hidden from the buyer!

Indeed

This information is not hidden. Some real estate ads make this information available. Real estate agents also give you this information when they show you a house.

Johnny,
you stated on message #3 “In Portugal, HOA fees do not usually appear on the lease ads. You have to ask the Real Estate agent”  that is fine and thank you for the information.

I am considering buying a condo myself and HOA fee did not even cross my mind until reading this topic and many thanks to the OP.

Again, the monthly HOA fee is vital information to the buyer in my opinion.

I am sorry but I made a misinterpretation here, by using the wrong word.

Amendment:  In Portugal, HOA fees do not usually appear on the selling ads.

Who typically pays the HOA/Condominium/ "taxa de condomínio" is the homeowner / landlord (if it is a rental/lease), not the tenant. If it is a building, where you are not the owner of 100% of the building, obviously.

This is not usual in contract agreements with portuguese tenants. I don't know if it is with expats, and I don't know if it is usual in some private condominiums, with a set of facilities available.

If there are, I think this can be negotiated by the tenant, and the amount to be paid should always be part of the lease contract.  Be aware.

JohnnyPT wrote:

I am sorry but I made a misinterpretation here, by using the wrong word.

Amendment:  In Portugal, HOA fees do not usually appear on the selling ads.

Who typically pays the HOA/Condominium/ "taxa de condomínio" is the homeowner / landlord (if it is a rental/lease), not the tenant. If it is a building, where you are not the owner of 100% of the building, obviously.

This is not usual in contract agreements with portuguese tenants. I don't know if it is with expats, and I don't know if it is usual in some private condominiums, with a set of facilities available.

If there are, I think this can be negotiated by the tenant, and the amount to be paid should always be part of the lease contract.  Be aware.

JohnnyPT - HUGE thanks for the additional details, thank you for taking the time to provide these.

Out of curiosity: am I correct in understanding that a "condominium" in Portugal is something different than an "apartment" (or "flat")? I tried googling this information and some results suggested that there are "condominium fees" if one buys, indeed, what is sold as a "condominium".

So - what about a "normal, run-of-the-mill apartment"? Beside the utility bills - what else would an owner pay? Is there annual/monthly property tax, for example? And - in line with the topic of the original post - are there monthly fees that pay for things like reception desk, cleaning of the common areas (such as hallways, storage/basement, garage, etc.), replacing blown light bulbs, cutting the grass outside, etc. etc. etc.? Again, this is just in case of buying an apartment - you have already described a renting/tenant scenario (for which I am truly grateful).

Huge thanks!