The cost of Living in Portugal in 2023

Hello everyone,

As every year, we invite you to share your experience on the evolution of the cost of living in the region or city where you live in order to answer future requests for information from new members of the site who would like to move there soon in Portugal.

In terms of accommodation, how much does it cost to rent/buy a flat or house in in Portugal?
How much do you pay on average for public transport (bus, metro, train, tram, taxi)?
What is the average price of your monthly food basket?

How much does health insurance cost? How much does it cost to see a doctor in Portugal?

What about school fees for your children?

What is the average monthly cost of electricity, gas, water, internet, telephone?

What is the average cost of your leisure activities?

If there are other expenses that you think are useful, please share them!

Thank you in advance for your future contribution

Mickael
Expat.com Team

I am wondering whether this type of information isn't better provided by NUMBEO (or Mercer), who update cost of living  numbers for several Portuguese cities on a regular basis.

I think that it is almost impossible to report how much health insurance costs, because this will depend very much on age and per-existing conditions and the like.

I am wondering whether this type of information isn't better provided by NUMBEO (or Mercer), who update cost of living numbers for several Portuguese cities on a regular basis.
I think that it is almost impossible to report how much health insurance costs, because this will depend very much on age and per-existing conditions and the like.
-@nz7521137

This is asked on every forum on the site and is asked every year. Numbeo is all very well but quite a lot of the time it is incorrect. You just put the costs that apply to you.

We purchased our apartment and moved in September 12, 2022.

In terms of accommodation, how much does it cost to rent/buy a flat or house in in Portugal?

purchased apartment - Rio Tinto (short Metro ride into Porto) - €1.881/m2

HOA dues - 56€/month

How much do you pay on average for public transport (bus, metro, train, tram, taxi)?

Metro - 50€/mo

Uber/Bolt 50 - 100€/mo depends on frequency

What is the average price of your monthly food basket? - 500 - 600€

How much does health insurance cost? Medis: 139€/ month, 2 adults

What is the average monthly cost of electricity & gas - 100€

This for basic electricity usage and gas for hot water for showers and dish washer. Central heat by gas, available, but not used so far.

water - 46€

internet (1 gigabit), telephone - 75€

What is the average cost of your leisure activities? restaurants 4 - 5 times / month - 250€

Doggie daycare for crazy Labrador puppy, 5 days / week - 315€/month

a tired puppy is a good puppy

We haven't moved yet and are waiting until our property sells in France. 

This info will be very informative in helping us with our planning.

Thank you!

@Andrew Rockwell  I find the Dog Kennel is pretty high, but I guess it's compared to what we pay in the US, haven't used a service like that for LONG time,  but that would be an unfortunate reason not to take a new puppy when I get their. Very limiting although fulfilled my life . $25 or Euro a day , if you have to travel overseas is pretty heavy.

I am wondering whether this type of information isn't better provided by NUMBEO (or Mercer), who update cost of living numbers for several Portuguese cities on a regular basis.
-@nz7521137
This is asked on every forum on the site and is asked every year. Numbeo is all very well but quite a lot of the time it is incorrect. You just put the costs that apply to you.
-@SimCityAT

So you honestly think that expat.com will provide more valuable information than NUMBEO (or Mercer). Numbeo might be incorrect lost of times, but expat.com isn't?

i think people posting here is very useful in a lot of way as it shows what people are actually paying. Hopefully everyone reads this stuff with the understanding that things vary greatly. NUMBEO is great, especially for most items outside of Rent/Housing.

in terms of overall cost of living , it realy depends on lifestyle you want. I know there are a lot of people who live quite happy and fulfilled lives on relatively low monthly budgets. But Lisbon can be a fairly expensive place to live. If you are coming from the US where you lived in a big city or major metro area, ate out all the time, did all sorts of activities which cost money....replicating that in Portugal will definitly save you money, but it still won't be as cheap as some may lead you to beleive. On the other hand, simpliying your lifestyle can save a bundle and once you adjust...very rewarding.

for us, we pay about a ton just for an apartment and a private school...but our other costs are pretty reasonable, especially compared to our lifestyle in the US.

A few other costs

• Private health insurance for the 3 of us is about 280 Euro/mo (most complete private coverage offered by our insurance co)
  • 40/mo each for bus/Metro/train pass. Note that kids enrolled in school are now free
  • food and dining out....see NUMBEO as i find that quite accurate. the more you eat out...the more cash burn.
  • 120/mo for cell service for three (5G), internet (fiber), and cable with HBO
  • i would also note that if you have a car and like to explore a lot like we do....be prepared to spend a lot on tolls as they add up! Also, If you buy a car...they are expensive compared to the US.

hope this is a bit helpful.

In Caldas da Rainha (in Euros)

In Caldas da Rainha area you can buy a new built 3 bed 2 bath detached house for 280-400K

Bus to Lisbon is Euro 8 one way. takes an hour on the hour till late.

What is the average price of your monthly food basket? for 2 people 400 including beer and wine and cleaning products etc. We do not buy any processed food.

How much does it cost to see a doctor in Portugal? A consultation at a private clinic is 30-45 euros

What is the average monthly cost of electricity, 100-150, water 20, internet Fibra 200, TV, telephone, and 2 cell phones with 5GB each, 67pm with Meo.

What is the average cost of your leisure activities, restaurants 30-40 for 2 with wine.

Cleaner, 10 per hour.

Pool cleaner 50 pm inc chemicals

No need to use tolls here unless you go to Lisbon or Porto, the normal roads are good , quiet and scenic.

Closed