Banking without using the SWIFT wire transfer service?

Hi,

I currently have a foreign currency account in U.S. Dollars at BIAT bank.

When funds are needed, BIAT converts funds to Dinar and I can make a withdrawal at an ATM. However, depositing funds into the account is done by SWIFT transfer costing approx. $25 U.S. for each deposit from my U.S. bank account. I understand that this cost applies to any foreign currency deposited; not just U.S. Dollars.

Does anyone know how to transfer other currencies to a bank in Tunisia and avoid using the SWIFT wire transfer service? I understand that Tunisia has a "closed currency", but wondering if anyone has discovered a way around using SWIFT.

Thank you, Gary

Hi , did you try to contact Transferwise ?

www.transferwise.com

Don't get yourself a Tunisian bank account. Simple as that. Use a service like TransferWise with your US address and use an American phone number. After registration, have them manually change your phone number to your phone number in Tunisia (you will not be able to do so in-app, you must send them an email) and every time you use a new device, an Australian phone number will call you to confirm (via email) that you are the owner of the account, and you will need to authorise each device at least once - or, roam with your American SIM card and be able to recieve SMSs when you need to confirm a new device.

I use TransferWise currently, but not clear where they are sending the money if I did not have a local bank. Their Borderless debit card is not available in Tunisia

Use your American address (I presume you are an American) - why do you even need a Tunisian bank account? This I cannot fathom

To qualify for a ONE year Visa in Tunisia-you need an African Bank Account.

the specifics are $800.00 USD at least,  must be transferred by wire, 3 consecutive months in a row-
No cash deposits-
this is one requirement with others for - Visa papers.

A one year residential visa is for extended stays past the 3 month passport stamp.

moderated

Moderated by Julien 3 years ago
Reason : illegal advice is not allowed

yes-Thank you-I am aware of  making those kinds of  arrangements as well.

Did you know that it is specific to the vicinity you actually reside and who is  personally residing over
the proceedings?

yes-it can be extremely difficult to find an African Bank that will actually open one for you as well-
at least in the area I lived in.

the US Embassy information for one year Visa is not truly everything you need to know

Why do you keep saying "African" bank? Tunisia has about in common with black "Africa" as Yemen has with Hong Kong, both being in "Asia". You need a Tunisian bank account to get residency, yes, but you do not need a Tunisian bank account to manage your finances while living here, and you do not need to have residency here. You pay overstay fees at the airport when flying out.

I refer to "African" bank-because Tunisia is in Africa.

Yes, it is possible to manage finances without  funds in a Tunisian Bank-
possibly more attractive to do this when living in Tunisia full time.

The overstay fees at airport are fines for not adhering to the rules of entry/exit-
over and above the monthly extended stay fee, which depending where exactly you live-that option may not be available.

I have been living in Tunisia for almost 2 years. I tried to open an account once. I told the teller that I recieve no more than $1000 (at the time) but that I got paid by my Chinese employer in Bitcoins which I'd sell for GBP. She had me come back "tomorrow" 5 days in a row before telling me that I got rejected on the grounds of the source of money being "cryptocurrency". She knew from the first moment that I'd have no chance but had me running around like a bunny rabbit. This attitude towards others makes me never want to put my savings at the mercy of some sadist.

52 weeks in a year, discount 12 weeks because you get 3 months of visa-free stay with every border run. 40 weeks, at a price of 20 dinars a week is 800 dinars. 800 dinars a year is what you'd pay without connections. If you go to the police station, you can pay someone, somehow, and reduce this down to a couple hundred.

If you marry your beloved, you are his financial responsibility and as such are not obligated to bring any bank statements. Living with someone of the opposite sex that you are not married to, is illegal.

Either break the rules properly and overstay while engaging in your illegitimate relations, or marry your man and follow the rules entirely.

assumption that I live with my fiance when visiting-and insult me?
no wonder you are banned by moderators on this site.

you may have some good information to help others live in Tunisia-
but telling others to break rules "properly"? 
not cool.

thank you-
I actually did have the information about steps when married to stay in Tunisia-and was waiting for his divorce to be final.
I just had the wrong information from the police station in the first place-that was with
my Arabic speaking Tunisian to translate-on how to get a one year Visa if not married.
so was very frustrated with the bank  process-as my bank in USA would not transfer my money if I was not IN the USA and the BIAT would not send for any funds period.
Which led to trying to find out how to get any monies to my bank in Tunisia.
I will not go back to Tunisia-until his divorce is final to avoid the hassle-but will keep my BIAT account that I do have. It was very difficult to find a bank that would open an account for me-not sure why?
I hope you found one.
Are you in Monastir? Great place-

I have a convertible USD account at BIAT where I deposit USD and withdraw Dinars at ATM's. This type of account is available for Expat's that don't yet have residency. I use Transferwise to take money from my U.S. account and they deposit into BIAT. There is however a SWIFT wire transfer charge for the transaction.

Yes, and they said they are unaware of any way to transfer money to Tunisia and not use the SWIFT wire service thereby incuring a fee

I have a BIAT account in Hamman Sousse. No bank I approached would let me open an account at all-until my Tunisian fiance had a Police friend call them and tell them to do it for me. I think I approached 4 banks last year. Not sure what all that is about?  You had no issue?   From what I understand-for 3 years-a US Citizen can only deposit USD. Yes, I use the ATM to get Dinars. I will look into your  banking solutions. thank you-