Does anyone use Netflix Hungary?

Was thinking of opening up a new Netflix account here in Hungary.
Has anyone had experience with it?
Are the shows in English or is it mixed sub titles?
Are the shows the same mix as in the west?
Are you happy with the service here?
Thanks for any feed back.

I have it in Austria, most are in English unless its a German made film, then I have to put up with English subtitles. The films are a few years old unless they are Netflix Original film or TV series.

But I am happy with it here if that helps.

I think The Fluffy family has it in Hungary.

SimCityAT wrote:

I have it in Austria, most are in English unless its a German made film, then I have to put up with English subtitles. The films are a few years old unless they are Netflix Original film or TV series.

But I am happy with it here if that helps.

I think The Fluffy family has it in Hungary.

No, we don't have it.  We were thinking of it but I looked at the content and I thought it was a bit rubbish. I used to have Sky but don't have that any more either and haven't had it for 10+ years.   

We have cable TV here with 200+ channels but again, never seems to be anything interesting on. The kids and Mrs Fluffy watch it sometimes it in Hungarian but I never watch it even though there are English language options.   The programmes are just too slow at appearing - months later.  Who wants to wait 3 months for Game of Thrones when everyone else has already had it.

For UK TV, I VPN into the UK and simply download or stream from the BBC or Channel 4. 

If anyone feels really naughty, they could simply download whatever programme they want.   It's more or less instant.

Well, Netflix is free for the first month so can't lose.

SimCityAT wrote:

Well, Netflix is free for the first month so can't lose.

Yes, it's a trial they offer but even if it was free I couldn't see anyone would care enough really.   

I've always been really interested in technicalities of movies and movie making and particularly the art of directing but I can hardly raise an interest in the output these days.    I actually did a couple of courses on movie making way back when.

But of course, during the summer people shouldn't be watching TV anyway.   They should be outside doing stuff, down at Balaton, taking the dog out, walking in the forests,  playing with the kids or drinking wine on their balconies/terraces!

Netflix has a separate inventory of films for each country in which they operate. Outside the US and the UK, the inventories are very limited and usually tailored to the local market. Overseas, it's just not good value compared to what you get for your money in the US.

Some years ago, you could subscribe to US Netflix then VPN in from overseas, but they've pretty much blocked that. There may still be ways of tunnelling in to US Netflix from overseas, but I found them too unreliable and too much a hassle, so cancelled my Netflix subscription.

Thanks all, Zif that was some good info.
ATM I am linked up with my son's account in the US, I may consider going 50-50 with my sister's US plan in the future.
I used to have to have a VPN to see Netflix but lately it just comes in, perhaps because my notebook is connected somehow to a US server? I really am not good at all with these sort of computer things.

I started my Netflix account back when we were in Florida USA. But by Jan 2016 Netflix was in Hungary so i have not had any issues. Netflix here i feel is about as good as it was in US. If you have your settings set to English it will be defaulted to that but non English stuff is subtitled. There is a lot of shows and movies, new ones and honestly there is new stuff put on all the time.

That said it is much more international here than in US. Which is good as US is just 3% of the world and most US movies and tv shows i found not very good and did not watch much of them when I was in the US. So for me personally i like Netflix better since i have been here than in US.

Logistics wise, well we have US bank accounts and all our money is usd same as when we where in US or anywhere else we will live. Netflix told me that it will stay that way unless I change those aspects. Content wise I get whatever they offer in whatever country I am based on whatever wifi ip i am using.

I have talked to a few Hungarian people that have Netflix that are happy with it. So if you have Hungarian bank account it seems to work fine also.

But if you really like US only movies and tv then no you will not like Netflix here as much.

If you like content from the rest of the world then Netflix is good.

If you don't mind the occasional ad, there's the free TubiTV, which streams licensed movies worldwide, so far as I can gather. Their inventory of course is much smaller than Netflix's, but there's enough there so that you'll probabably find something to watch.

FeliciaOni wrote:

I started my Netflix account back when we were in Florida USA. But by Jan 2016 Netflix was in Hungary so i have not had any issues. Netflix here i feel is about as good as it was in US. If you have your settings set to English it will be defaulted to that but non English stuff is subtitled. .....

But if you really like US only movies and tv then no you will not like Netflix here as much.

There's a lot of output from Netflix in languages other than English - we watched a sci-fi show called 3% in Brazilian Portuguese and also a Spanish bank heist movie called Casa de Papel.   All subtitled and pretty good to watch in their native languages - not that I speak either but still, there are nuances which can be lost in clumsy translation that doesn' t match body language.

Worst case would be  if they dubbed it so the native languages were not accessible.  German market is all dubbed I expect.  Not good. Subtitles are the way to go.

zif wrote:

If you don't mind the occasional ad, there's the free TubiTV, which streams licensed movies worldwide, so far as I can gather. Their inventory of course is much smaller than Netflix's, but there's enough there so that you'll probabably find something to watch.

Could be an illegal service. 

Worth reading this recent news item: Premier League streams: Three men jailed over illegal videos.

17 years seems a bit much but they'll get out after 1/2 their sentence. I suppose they forefeited the cash they made too.  Who would pay £20K a year for football? Insanity.

No, TubiTv is not illegal. That's why I specifically said in my post that it "streams licensed movies."

http://variety.com/2019/digital/news/tu … 1203122081

"There's a lot of output from Netflix in languages other than English "

That is exactly my point!

Here out of the USA there is more world wide content than in USA so it is for me at least more enjoyable to watch Netflix here. Yes as long as i get subtitles then I am good.

Then there are many shows that i honestly am not sure why, are like half and half. Like i watch "Fallet" which is half English and half native Swedish.

Many shows, movies from South Africa are like this also.

And I know several German shows, movies do this.

And then many shows, movies from India are like that. I watch one scary show from India and like they will talk back and forth constantly on each episode. My dad  was confused as he was able to just tune out most of it but had a hard time when it would be native tongue, then english then native. Drove him nuts! He hee.

I have heard many shows, movies from Turkey and mid east are like this also, i am not sure as i have not watch much from those regions.

Now one exception i have seen is Russian!

I do like for some reason many Russian movies and they always are dubbed!  The first 2 "Gogol" [Гоголь. Начало-Gogol. Nachalo ie Gogol The Beginning and Гоголь. Вий ie Gogol Viy] movies are on Netflix and they are dubbed along with "Rusalka: Ozero myortvykh" "The Mermaid: Lake of the Dead " and several other Russian films are always dubbed totally. I would like them either with subtitled!

zif wrote:

No, TubiTv is not illegal. That's why I specifically said in my post that it "streams licensed movies."

http://variety.com/2019/digital/news/tu … 1203122081

I stand corrected. 

I've never heard of it. 

First thing that crossed my mind is that it was Tellytubby TV but I suppose it's a play on Tube TV or similar.

FeliciaOni wrote:

"There's a lot of output from Netflix in languages other than English "

That is exactly my point!

Here out of the USA there is more world wide content than in USA so it is for me at least more enjoyable to watch Netflix here. Yes as long as i get subtitles then I am good.

Then there are many shows that i honestly am not sure why, are like half and half. Like i watch "Fallet" which is half English and half native Swedish.

Many shows, movies from South Africa are like this also.

And I know several German shows, movies do this.

And then many shows, movies from India are like that. I watch one scary show from India and like they will talk back and forth constantly on each episode. My dad  was confused as he was able to just tune out most of it but had a hard time when it would be native tongue, then english then native. Drove him nuts! He hee.

I have heard many shows, movies from Turkey and mid east are like this also, i am not sure as i have not watch much from those regions.

Now one exception i have seen is Russian!

I do like for some reason many Russian movies and they always are dubbed!  The first 2 "Gogol" [Гоголь. Начало-Gogol. Nachalo ie Gogol The Beginning and Гоголь. Вий ie Gogol Viy] movies are on Netflix and they are dubbed along with "Rusalka: Ozero myortvykh" "The Mermaid: Lake of the Dead " and several other Russian films are always dubbed totally. I would like them either with subtitled!

Yes, I was agreeing with you.  My experience was about Germany where everything is stupidly dubbed.  Contrast that with the Netherlands where everything is subtitled.

Russia has a very rich history in cinema as does Hungary actually.  My first dabble with Russian cinema was a movie called Solaris which was a Russian answer to 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Swedish, Danish or Norwegian movies and shows are often good and multi-lingual.  Some great TV shows coming out of that regional - Fortitude  (in English, set on Svalbard, filmed in Iceland),  Wallander (Swedish detectives) or The Rain (Danish Sci-fi).   

Interestingly enough, the Norwegian movie, "In order of Disappearance" starring the great Stellan Skarsgård has been remade with Liam Neeson in the title role and renamed "Cold Pursuit". Same director too!

South African greatest movie of all time (for me anyway); District 9.

I could go on and on as you can imagine!

FeliciaOni wrote:

I started my Netflix account back when we were in Florida USA. But by Jan 2016 Netflix was in Hungary so i have not had any issues. Netflix here i feel is about as good as it was in US. If you have your settings set to English it will be defaulted to that but non English stuff is subtitled. There is a lot of shows and movies, new ones and honestly there is new stuff put on all the time.

That said it is much more international here than in US. Which is good as US is just 3% of the world and most US movies and tv shows i found not very good and did not watch much of them when I was in the US. So for me personally i like Netflix better since i have been here than in US.

Logistics wise, well we have US bank accounts and all our money is usd same as when we where in US or anywhere else we will live. Netflix told me that it will stay that way unless I change those aspects. Content wise I get whatever they offer in whatever country I am based on whatever wifi ip i am using.

I have talked to a few Hungarian people that have Netflix that are happy with it. So if you have Hungarian bank account it seems to work fine also.

I enjoy shows from all over the world as long as I can understand what's going on, don't mind reading subtitles.
ATM I am crash watching a drama/soap/ action show from Turkey...
I'll look into Netflix in Hungary, we have bank accounts in the US and in Hu so either way is not issue with monthly payments.
Just wondered if all the shows were in Hungarian or not.
With the tv shows they are all scyrinized, which doesn't work well at all for me.
If they had subtitles at least slowly one could learn Hungarian by reading along but with the show being dubbed in Hungarian it is impossible to follow what's going on.
As long as most shows are in English with Hungarian Netflix it seems like it would work.
Just was a bit afraid to sing up and not be able to watch anything.
I know it's called binge watching a show but it seems slowly I am creating my own language here, crash watching....

Ncore is better

panzer25 wrote:

Ncore is better

Care to elaborate?

fluffy2560 wrote:
panzer25 wrote:

Ncore is better

Care to elaborate?

Quite, what is Ncore?

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
panzer25 wrote:

Ncore is better

Care to elaborate?

Quite, what is Ncore?

Sometimes I wonder how did you survive here for that long, Ncore is Hungary's 7th most popular website.- requires invitation -ask your friends., it is esential for survival.

panzer25 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Quite, what is Ncore?

Sometimes I wonder how did you survive here for that long, Ncore is Hungary's 7th most popular website.- requires invitation -ask your friends., it is esential for survival.

That still does explain what it is?

Oh Ncore a Torrent site. An illegal file-sharing site.

SimCityAT wrote:

Oh Ncore a Torrent site. An illegal file-sharing site.

In a question of legality be carefull what you call illegal as defamation is a criminal offense whilst file sharing site is not.

On June 18, 2010, nCore seed servers were seized under a police crackdown.

SimCityAT wrote:

And ? it was 10 years ago, it is the 7th most popular website in the country it has more than 500.000 users  how would it be illegal? Its works as a non profit thats why its legal.

panzer25 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

it is the 7th most popular website in the country it has more than 500.000 users  how would it be illegal? Its works as a non profit thats why its legal.

It could be the most popular site in Hungary and have a million users that still doesn't mean its legal.

SimCityAT wrote:
panzer25 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

it is the 7th most popular website in the country it has more than 500.000 users  how would it be illegal? Its works as a non profit thats why its legal.

It could be the most popular site in Hungary and have a million users that still doesn't mean its legal.

Eh de facto yes   so back to the point if you want to watch any tv show or anything in Hungary just download or Stream from the Internet. anything is available there, paid services are good as they are more likely  virus free.

panzer25 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder how did you survive here for that long, Ncore is Hungary's 7th most popular website.- requires invitation -ask your friends., it is essential for survival.

Only essential if you care enough about the movies/music/tv shows.   

None of them are THAT important it can be equated to a survival need.   

"Hmmm....I'm in this foxhole, being bombed by IS, I'm hungry, wet and cold and I'm thinking, jeez, I wish I'd downloaded that last episode of  The Walking Dead from Ncore.  Oh, never mind, I'll be joining the real life cast soon".

There's always TPB and EZTV.

My friend in Vegas buys the Amazon Stick. Needs to be updated every so often, she loves it.
Was watching a movie on her big screen when we came over to visit her.
The same movie was playing on Netflix at the same time.
She is learning web design so not sure if you need those computer skills to get the most out of the Amazon stick or not.
I never heard of it before, something fairly new I think?

Admittedly I am an amateur when it comes to televisions and computers, but we managed to have WIFI and (even if TV is old 7+ yrs) we have a television which can connect to WIFI.
Me and my wife are VERY VERY happy with Netflix in Hungary, I have no clue about other countries, but series, movies, documentaries are massive, so we pick and choose. We do not have TV as such, DVDs (for melancholia) and Netflix are fine for now.

However, we would be interested I think in eg HBO GO/NOW, SKY and Amazon Prime,  no real need, but interested on how to connect on my TV (watching with PC is not really an option).

I suppose I have to wait until my TV breaks down and have all the apps (as they call it) included.
Netflix is excellent for me and my wife.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My friend in Vegas buys the Amazon Stick. Needs to be updated every so often, she loves it.
Was watching a movie on her big screen when we came over to visit her.
The same movie was playing on Netflix at the same time.
She is learning web design so not sure if you need those computer skills to get the most out of the Amazon stick or not.
I never heard of it before, something fairly new I think?

No, it's been around a while. 

There's also the Chromecast stick, Amazon Firestick and a few others. 

We use so called "stick computers" in the back of our TVs so we can access the Internet from the TV.  These are cheap and small computers that plug in the HDMI socket and usually run Windows 10 or even Android. 

Our versions are from a company called Azulle.   We can use them to set up the VPN to stream directly. 

There's a hacking fraternity using these devices.  One of the media management tools is Kodi which is sometimes blamed as being a hacking tool as there are various plug in modules which allow free access to some services.

cdw057 wrote:

Admittedly I am an amateur when it comes to televisions and computers, but we managed to have WIFI and (even if TV is old 7+ yrs) we have a television which can connect to WIFI.
Me and my wife are VERY VERY happy with Netflix in Hungary, I have no clue about other countries, but series, movies, documentaries are massive, so we pick and choose. We do not have TV as such, DVDs (for melancholia) and Netflix are fine for now.

However, we would be interested I think in eg HBO GO/NOW, SKY and Amazon Prime,  no real need, but interested on how to connect on my TV (watching with PC is not really an option).

I suppose I have to wait until my TV breaks down and have all the apps (as they call it) included.
Netflix is excellent for me and my wife.

If your TV has an HDMI port you can buy an Amazon Firestick. You can watch Netflix, Amazon Prime. Listen to Spotify using that. There are other apps on it.

Thanks !! However I looked at eg Amazon and the Fire Stick is not to be delivered to Hungary, how can I get one
Also Roku is interesting, but I am unclear on what I can do.

cdw057 wrote:

Thanks !! However I looked at eg Amazon and the Fire Stick is not to be delivered to Hungary, how can I get one

You can buy on eBay

and Apple is about launch Apple TV + another streaming gadget.

cdw057 wrote:

Get an Intel based stick.   

Easier perhaps as it'll be Windows 10 - I guess that's what you are using to add stuff on here.