Brexit aftermath

Official notification per Q&A session held by UK IN CYPRUS - BRITISH HIGH COMMISSION NICOSIA·WEDNESDAY, 6 MARCH 2019 

Brexit: Most Frequently Asked Questions by UK nationals in Cyprus
UK IN CYPRUS - BRITISH HIGH COMMISSION NICOSIA·WEDNESDAY, 6 MARCH 2019
Following from our live Q&A session on Facebook, we have gathered the most frequently asked questions by UK nationals in Cyprus in a single note for easier access. We hope UK nationals in Cyprus find this document useful.
1. How do I regularise my status in Cyprus to ensure I can continue to live and work here
Cypriot law states you have to register as a resident if you spend more than 90 days in Cyprus. You will apply for what is called an MEU 1. This means you are accepted as someone with the same rights and entitlements as a Cypriot national and you will have access to all the services and support provided by Cyprus.
If you have already been registered as a resident for 5 years, you should apply for permanent residency known as an MEU3. You can find both application form on the Ministry of Interior Civil Registry and Migration Department's website here.
You will need to apply at your nearest Immigration Office. A list of address for these offices can be found here. Please note there may be long waiting times for appointments (at least 2-3 months at the time of writing). It is best to start the process now to ensure that you are registered as soon as possible. If you have been waiting for more than four months then the advice is to contact the Ministry – as this might suggest there is a problem with your application.
In a No Deal, the Cypriot government has publically committed to protecting the rights of UK nationals in Cyprus. We are working with the Cypriot authorities to clarify further important details including any deadlines for getting your residency documents. We remain confident that in the event of a No Deal, the Cypriot government will allow a “Grace Period” to allow UK nationals to apply for residency after 29 March 2019.
2. How will I be able to access healthcare in Cyprus post-Brexit?
In a Deal scenario, as long as you have regularised your status in Cyprus by applying for residency (obtaining an MEU1 or MEU3), British nationals will be able to continue to access the healthcare system in Cyprus on the same basis as other EU citizens. This includes the use of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) card for those of you who are studying in Cyprus or who are not resident here.
The UK Government is seeking reciprocal arrangements to maintain peoples' healthcare rights in a no-deal scenario. We hope to formalise an agreement shortly. But as a fall back, if you are planning to visit Cyprus after 29 March 2019, you should continue to buy travel insurance so you can get the healthcare treatment you need, just as you would if visiting a non-EU country. More information on healthcare in Cyprus can be found here.
Cyprus is soon to launch its new public healthcare system.  After 29 March, Britons in Cyprus, who have regularised their status and have either an MEU1  or MEU3 and who work will be able to access the Cyprus' new health system through social insurance contributions.
3. Can I continue to use my UK driving licence in Cyprus?
If you are a resident in Cyprus (i.e. if you reside here for more than 90 days), you are obliged to convert your British licence into a Cyprus driving licence, which shows your address in Cyprus. Irrespective of Brexit.
If you exchange your licence before 29 March there is no need to pass a Cypriot driving test. Those of you with Cypriot driving licences can drive in the UK on this licence in both a deal and no deal scenario.
Currently, Britons who come to Cyprus for temporary visits can drive on their UK driving licence. If there is a signed Withdrawal Agreement, the UK driving licence remains valid up until the end of the Implementation Period, i.e. 31 December 2020. Agreements on mutual recognition of licences between the UK and the EU after this point will form part of the negotiations on the future relationship during the Implementation Period.
In the event of a No Deal, after 29 March, the UK driving licence may no longer be valid by itself when driving in Cyprus. The Government recommends that if you are coming to Cyprus for a short visit, that you will need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive after 29 March in a No Deal scenario.
You will need to apply for the 1949 Convention International Driving Permit, which is the relevant one for Cyprus. Applications need to be made in person at a UK Post Office. More information is available here.
4. Will I need a visa to travel to Cyprus after 29 March?
If the UK leaves with a deal, travel to the EU will remain the same as now until at least 31 December 2020. Britons do not need to apply for a visa to travel or work in the EU during this time.
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the rules for travelling or working in Europe will change after 29 March 2019. The European Commission has proposed that in a no deal situation, if you are a British Citizen, you would not need a visa for short stays in the EU. You would be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. However, if you are intending to stay in Cyprus for longer than 90 days, and do not hold a residency document, you may need to get a visa before you travel.
Deal or No Deal, from the 1 January 2021, the EU Commission has confirmed that UK citizens will have to pay 7 euros to enter the EU. Once received this will allow you to undertake multiple trips within a three year period.
5. Where can I find more information on Brexit?
More information on Brexit can be found in our Living in Cyprus guide.
We also encourage you to visit gov.uk/EUExit for further guidance on preparing for exit day. The website has tools to help UK nationals in the EU, and EU citizens in the UK, to find the guidance that they need. Please also follow the BHC's Facebook and Twitter pages to keep up-to-speed on developments.

SOURCE
https://www.facebook.com/notes/uk-in-cy … 655871132/

Here's hoping the Maybot sorts something out then because I don't really want yet more added expense thanks to this situation. I'm already going to have to get an IDP for my upcoming trip because I'll be in Cyprus when the proposed vote to extend / the drop out date happens and wont have 6 months by then

better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it