North Cyprus to South travel

Are there any things I need to know if I am travelling from North to South Cyprus in a UK van containing personal possessions?
I have not done this but I think 100/%  you will have big problems as the point of entry to the ..south will not be any port in the RoC..

I advice that you take some professional advice on it....

@phildraper Phil if I were you I would join the North Cyprus Heartbeat Facebook group as Issy Atahasan is really knowledgeable on this stuff if entering TRNC.. what he doesn't know is not worth knowing... Honestly. His information is second to none

OK I will jump on that. Thank you for the help. I am also exploring options to go via Pireas Greece to Limassol but I see there are not a lot of ferry operators
No only the one with limited seasonal  crossings that book up.very very quickly
Bringing a vehicle this route to RoC .. you won't be able to register it here ....
I have opened a FaceBook account - never had one before! I am unable to join the North Cyprus Heartbeat group as I do not meet their criteria according the the message I get. Does anyone have an email address for Issy or are members/willing to join and ask the question I have?
'Is it possible to arrive in Northern Cyprus by ferry from Turkey and drive into ROC in a UK registered Van? Later I want to import the van into Cyprus as well.
Does anyone know of a ferry that departs from the EU and goes to any entry point in ROC as i am looking for a plan 'B' It needs to take passengers and a dog lol

@phildraper  ive asked this question you will be allowed to enter TRNC but you cannot r register that vehicle in the south unless the vehicle arrives and enters into the south via recognised port of entry ...usually Limassol ... Any TRNC entry point  is not a recognised port of entry for the south.

Maybe try Grimaldi from Italy via Israel Greece Turkeye then here at Limassol.. it's along trek of three weeks and it's a mainly freight ferry no luxuries and you eat with crew

Not sure if they still do it or what any limitations might be but an acquaintance of mine did it a few years back
OK thanks for the info I will email them
The ferry from Piraeus (Athens) is up and running now, see topkinisis.com for schedule and prices

@Toon hello Toon, do you know what the prices are for car insurance to the north side

thank you

To go over for a month is I think €25 cash ... for three months its €50 cash... You need the car log book and your passport  Don't give too much in notes as they will claim to not have any change ... As least have a range of notes and change to make sure you have the correct money ......It is only third party cover so beware .... Further most hire cars are not allowed to travel across ..I know that some car hire companies will allow it but you will pay for any and all losses.. including full loss of car if write off ... 4x4 and twincabs etc are more expensive..

I have no idea what car insurance costs are like in the north for residents but am told they are not too bad

@Toon thanks for speedy reply Toon. i know i can rely on you always

As others have said; you cannot register a car in the south if it arrived on the Island via a TRNC port of entry (and visa versa).

Insurance for cars based in the TRNC is lower than for cars based in the south and fully comp is very good (the companies pay up with no fuss)

If you want to bring a car from UK to register in the south then if a ferry is not an option, consider shipping the car in a container.

@phildraper

hi, sorry for disturbing you, but I've similar question as yours and maybe you've find out the answer yet. I'm an UE citizen, Im travelling in Turkey in my camper. I wanted to travel by ferry with my campervan to north cyprus now, then I would like to get to south cyprus, leave there car for about 1 month and fly to Poland by airplane. After NEw year I plan to come back to south cyprus take my campervan from parking and get back to Turkey by the ferry from north cyprus. Could you be so kind and help me with this issue?

I think you will have problems at the north / south border if arriving into north cyprus. You will have lots of questions to answer.... Both ways. Am not even sure you can cross north to south for a month...

Best advise I can give you is to check with both north and south tourism authorities to avoid any complications at the Cyprus border..

Failing that go onto Facebook group North Cyprus Heartbeat and ask Issy Atahasan for better information he's a top bloke and knows all there is to know about these matters. Involving TRNC

GOOD LUCK

After looking into the road travel idea I decided against it and flew to Paphos sending our dog by plan rather than the road adventure.

It might have changed so Toon's advice is best way to officially know.

Thanks Guys for your advices!

Anyone got any information on bringing an English registered motorhome into northern cyprus and then crossing boarder to southside? We have MEUKW1 residency and Cypriot Liscence.

We want to bring it over from UK for the winter months then drive it back to tje UK and fly back to Cyprus.

Any advice would be great.

As the North has no official entry point to the republic I would expect this to be an issue. It might work as a temp import. If no one here has done it I would contact one of the professionals to get advise or contact customs. There are ferry's from Greece to Limassol  and that might be a better route.

Hi, thank you for your quick response.

I have spoken to a couple.of motorhomers over here that have come across at kerynia and said no problem, one was english with english lisence and the other was english but motorhome registered in Bulgaria. Both said a bit of a wait at the check point and bought insurance there to cover them.

Because we have residency here this is our concern.

Would love to use the boat that comes into limisol but unfortunately our motorhome is nearly 8m long and the boat only accepts upto 5m.

So we will take your advice and see what we can find out.

Regards Sam

I think you will need to leave via the north side too

Yes we would do.

hi , the advice from toon is sound . i did get my car impounded by the trnc customs because it was a British car on uk plates . even though i shipped it in through Limassol  with Grimaldi ferries and paid the duty to the south ?

Many of these obstacles are  fraught with ifs and buts ..and nearly always depends on IF the customs border officers are having a good day or bad day or just want to be God damned awkward .I'd say it's not worth the risk

yes unfortunately i agree . even the top customs guy would not give me a time limit for vehicles to stay in the trnc , it happened to a lot of vehicles . i counted  90 odd vehicles in the customs compound with uk number plates on , and if not sorted within 90days they get auctioned off .

Wow

@burneyleslie oh really!! Ok i think we may give it a miss then and jist travel.to greece and back.instead!

Better to be safe rather than sorry :-/

@phildraper

As far as I know, it is not a problem for tourists entering North Cyprus from the South with or without vehicles - providing you pay for a monthly insurance at one of the small offices at the North end of the crossing point. However, you may face a delay at the customs in the north because it is more than likely your goods will be valued and you will be charged import duty.

I will be going across the border soon so I will ask the customs officers what the current position is. It may be easier to drive down to South Turkey and use one of the ferries to North Cyprus. If you have a home in the North you probably will bring your own possessions without paying any duty.

@bigOz Phil is already here now ..but thanks for the reply.... please feel free to let us know what the border guards say in response to the question  its always handy to have current information... thanks in advance

@bigOz please feel free to let us know what the border guards say in response to the question  its always handy to have current information... thanks in advance

Yep as Toon says I am here and gave the whole Turkey/North Cyprus route a wide berth as I did not need any additional aggravation lol

I have not done this but I think 100/% you will have big problems as the point of entry to the ..south will not be any port in the RoC..
I advice that you take some professional advice on it....
-@Toon

Hi Toon,

I'm planning a road trip which, up till now, included Turkey, and both the North and South of Cyprus.

I was planning on driving my UK registered vehicle into Turkey and then taking the ferry into North Cyprus, travel to the south for a couple of weeks and then back through the North and back into Turkey.

For clarification, I don't plan to 'Register' my vehicle (nor myself) in any part of Cyprus, merely visit both parts as a tourist.

I'm guessing from what's been stated already, is that getting the vehicle into the ROC will not be allowed even if I don't plan to stay?

Just wondered if you could clarify those same rules will apply to simple 'tourist' with vehicles.

Thanks

Hello Paul,

I would not recommend this, you will have entered Cyprus illeagally and you won't have the right documents if stopped by police to show you entered Cyprus by a proper port of entry, I would imaging you may also have issues when trying to cross from north to south.

I have travelled down to Cyprus by car from UK a couple of weeks ago and took the ferry from Pireaus to Limassol, on ariving in Limasol you are issued with a "carnet", this you won't have coming via the north.

Graham

@paulwillimont sadly I can't give any further advice or an update on this as I really don't know.. My earlier post regarding seeking horse's mouth real time information from customs or consulates in TRNC and RoC is best I can give you . I stil think there may be issues both directions .. Customs border guards are fickle and unpredictable....

I repeat again ...  contact Issy Atahasan on Facebook North Cyprus Heartbeat a very knowledgeable man on all things TRNC.. his knowledge and fully researched information cannot be beaten..

Good luck ..

I you do it please feel free to update us on how the journey and crossing went .... Can't beat up-to-date information

@graham6

You do not get a carnet at the Famagusta port because it would not be of any use either in the North or if you decide to cross over to the South. This is because the Republic of Cyprus side will not recognise a "carnet" from any port in the North. 1f60a.svg