Flying Turkey to Cyprus (and getting north to south)

Hi all,

Currently in Turkey, and thinking of flying down to Cyprus since flights are regular and cheap. However, if I understand correctly, flight from Turkey only fly to Ercan airport in the north of Cyprus, and you have to move on from there (please anyone correct me if this is wrong).

I'm on a UK passport.

I have not made this trip before so I just have a few questions if anyone else has done this, how it works:

1. What happens with border control in North Cyprus (Turkish part)? Do they just stamp your passport and let you move on? I'm UK passport holder. Any extra papers required for passing through?
  2. I need to get to Protaras on the east coast from Ercan if anyone knows the best route for bus/coach. Is it best to go across to Nicosia and get a coach from there through Ayia Napa to Protaras? Any direct lines from the north?
  3. In general, what are transport options from Ercan to the South? Do they have regular coaches that will take you over the border?

Thanks in advance if anyone can provider any info who's done this before

You just need to take a taxi from the airport and cross the border.  You can even call a greek taxi and have them pick you up at Ercan and take you across. 

I live in Kyrenia, and do the opposite with no issues.  I land in Larnaca, have a TRNC taxi pick me up and bring me to my hotel.

You dont even get out of the taxi at the border.  You have the turks and the greeks both scan and stamp your passport, no big deal.  They may check your luggage but if they see you are coming from the airport, I even doubt a check.

Cheapest taxi option is a North taxi. They will take you over whichever crossing is best for your destination.  It will be about £50 I would guess.

If you plan to leave via Ercan then there are no problems. If you leave via Larnaca the immigration police may get nasty and accuse you or illegal entry to the Island.  If you are travelling back to UK after the trip it is better to go back to Turkey from Ercan and get a flight home from there.

I agree.

Ozzies taxis are said to be very good ..TRNC

OK, thanks for the heads up regarding the border. Checking some other forums, I think I get it now - if you enter South Cyprus from the north side, it's not classed as an official entrance point - only the 2 main airports in the south are. Therefore when you try to leave again, you won't have a corresponding entry stamp to match the exit stamp, and they'll yell at you.

Has put me off a bit to be honest, a bit too much messing around going back to Turkey to fly back to UK. Might have to check other options. Maybe go across to greece and fly to CY from there.

Yes usually it is no problem, but you must remember you have entered Cyprus illegally, usually nobody bothers you until one day somebody does........

@graham6

Yes....and I always seem to be "that person" that gets yelled at. Already been yelled at for supposedly breaking the 90/180 day rule when I entered Bulgaria a few months ago when I did the same thing before no issues, so getting tired of being shouted at by border guards.

Might take a look at Greece instead.

Yes I have two cases now of people working with me over stayed the 90 day rule in 180 days, they got banned from EU for 12 months, both stopped whilst flying home from Poland, at first I thought it was a joke, but unfortunately not, so they must have some sort of way of tracking your stay all over EU as they had been working in several EU countries and really we didn't give it too much thought before, whoever thought up Brexit didn't really think about all the consequences, lucky I have Cyprus permanent residence so I am still okay

I can tell you that an overstay in thr US can be a ten year visa ban.  so i think the EU is looking at that as a deterent.

The rule in Cyprus is yoy need to come to the island and leave the same way.  then you will have no issue.  once on the island, no one cares how many times you cross the border between north and south.

i went to cuba and they just stamp a piece of paper and stick it in your passport.  you can throw it away if you want to once out of the country or put it back if you return.

@graham6

Wasn't Brexit about controlling ones borders .. Cyprus as with other EU countries are in fact simply doing the same... That thing that they have always been able to do ..Even when UK was a member.

Ahhh the smell of sovereignty

@graham6

So do you have to visit every 6 months or can you come and go whenever you please

@Toon "Ahhh the smell of sovereignty" I do agree with you but there is also a slight bad smell with it lol Life is full of compromises

@bus5ojp

I have done it a couple of times, no problem at all. It can be a useful option as Turkish Airlines has a very busy hub in Istanbul with lots of connecting flights, usually at decent prices. But the utility is typically for a long-distance journey. For a UK flight, it's just less aggravation (i.e. zero) to get Ryanair or BA to Larnaca or Paphos, and rent a car (or grab a taxi) there.