New biometric cards for Brits

The new biometric cards MUKW1 and MUKW3 application forms are now online as is the appointments booking mechanism

Note they are now taking appointments in May  - I got ours booked this morning for may 10th

note you will need winrar software to decompress the forms and guidance notes etc

Their online booking system is here (note that you need to get an appointment in the area where you live)

Cheers Gwynj

The nice folks (they are volunteers) at the Cyprus Residency Planning Group also have a lot of info online... and can perhaps give you further guidance. (They sent me a very nice email with the required application form, and the associated requirements list.)

Here are a couple of useful CRPG pages.

They also confirmed that Cyprus is still accepting applications from Brits under the Withdrawal Agreement.

MUKW1 - initial residence

MUKW3 - permanent residence

Just to be clear, Brits do not HAVE to change to the MUKW1?

Sorry but I believe they do... i believed the same as you last year as it was published that they didnt have to do so as at that time it was not mandatory- -but I now believe that they now do as of august last year... and needs to be done within a timeframe .. bottomline is its your call as to whether you do or not

Have  you got something in writing from immigration to confirm your and their understanding Richard after August last year....  I myself have asked them twice for clarification since then and not as yet had a response from them

If you are correct then I would suggest it will come in the next few years as a natural progression for the security of EU citizenship and EU that seems to be the way the EU are going....  so my view is get in before the rush

Like @Toon, I think it's advisable that we all hurry up and get our shiny new biometric residence cards, if we're entitled to them!

CPRG in their FAQ says this:

Do I need to change my MEU document to the new biometric card?
You have the right to replace your EU residence document for the new one but you are not required to. However, we would recommend that you get it, as this document will declare your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, will simplify administrative processes and border crossings.

And also this:

"UK Nationals  who wish to reside in Cyprus must have either an MEU1 / MUKW1 or MEU3/MUKW3 – All previous forms of temporary and permanent residency documents, such as aliens book/pink slips are no longer valid."

It can be a little confusing in regards to the Withdrawal Agreement and our post-Brexit situation as many EU countries adopted a "declaratory" system, and others a stricter "constitutive" approach with fixed deadlines.

So for constitutive countries (France, Germany, etc.) we've already missed the boat.

The declaratory countries (Bulgaria, Cyprus, Spain, etc.) allowed a lot more flexibility.

In addition, some countries (e.g. Cyprus, Spain) issued EU citizen registration certificates, while others (e.g. Bulgaria) never did, issuing only the EU-standard biometric residence permits.

EU guidelines rather suggest that if you have one of the registration certificates, you should be allowed to exchange it for a biometric card, regardless of when you do it. But it seems risky to leave it, especially as some countries (e.g. Bulgaria) did announce deadlines for the exchange (31/12/21, it has passed).

If you don't have a certificate, but have some proofs of having been resident in a particular country (e.g. Cyprus) before the end of the transition period, then it seems even more risky to leave it much longer!

Hence, additional confusion arises from whether you are exchanging a registration certificate for a biometric residence permit (easier, generally), or demonstrating that you acquired the necessary residence rights (under the Withdrawal Agreement) by the deadline and hence directly obtaining a biometric residence permit (harder, generally).

From my reading, the Cyprus requirements for an Article 50 Permanent Residence (MUKW3) seems quite generous. If you've owned a property in Cyprus for more than 5 years, and used your Cyprus bank account to pay all your bills (water, electricity, property tax) you should be able to provide these as your proof of residence in Cyprus going back more than 5 years (ideally 7, if we allow that the transition year ended 31/12/20). It is my understanding that an EU permanent residence permit, issued in Cyprus, is very nearly as good as an EU passport... and allows you to live, work, study, or retire in any EU country.

Did you know that a person could be liable for a €2500 fine if a person doesn't apply for their Permanent residency document when they are eligibleigible to do so...

There is this

The Civil registry and Migration Department announces that old types of identity cards, which do not bear an expiration date, will cease to be valid on August 3, 2026. In this regard, holders of ID cards, which do not bear an expiration date, are requested to replace them by August 3, 2026 at the latest.
The above is mandatory and a result of EU Regulation 2019/1157 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 June 2019, on strengthening the security of identity cards of Union citizens and of residence documents issued to Union citizens and their family members exercising their right of free movement
It is emphasized that all other types of ID cards, which bear an expiration date, continue to be valid until their expiration date.

and then this


Circulation of a new versions of residence documents for EU citizens and their families - 05/08/2021

The Civil Registry and Migration Department announces that from 02/08/2021 the new versions of residence documents for EU citizens and their family members are put into circulation. The new versions comply with the requirements of EU Regulation 2019/1157 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 June 2019, on strengthening the security of identity cards of Union citizens and of residence documents issued to Union citizens and their family members exercising their right of free movement

The commencement of the issuance of the new types does not affect the procedures followed, applications and fees.

For residence documents, issued before 02/08/2021, according to the above Regulation, the following apply:

(a) The Certificates of Registration and Certificates of Permanent Residence of Union citizens and their family members who are also Union citizens remain valid and their replacement is not required.

(b) Residence Cards and Permanent Residence Cards of a family members of Union citizens who are not themselves Union citizens, which expire after 3 August 2023, will cease to be valid on that date and their holders must replace them in due course by submitting a relevant application..

I think it needs some clarity

Source … enDocument

So am thinking that as the EU are tightening things up for EU nationals non EU will become and are becoming tighter too .. its just a matter of time

At last clarity from Immigration Dept

Dear sir ,

The new documents for UK nationals are not mandatory, you can retain the previous residence documents as means of proof of your right to reside in Cyprus ,   but you  have the right to change them if you wish so .

Please find all the relevant information on our website at the banner BREXIT

Elena Hadjigeorgiou
Administrative Officer
Civil Registry and Migration Department
Thanks in advance

So thank you Richard for spurring me on to once again get clarity..

That's in line with the CPRG information, so that's good to know.

I have a bit of Cyprus registration paper, and smaller Spanish certificate. They are useful (as they evidence my prior residence status), but they are not very practical to carry around.

My Bulgarian biometric residence permit (credit card size), on the other hand, is quite convenient, and I usually carry it around with me instead of my passport. It functions as a proof of ID (as it has my photo/fingerprint in addition to personal data). The EU standard also has your address, and it should function as a proof of address too (it certainly does here in Bulgaria, and I've used it as such when opening a bank account).

Internationally, the bits of paper are pretty useless, I never travel with them. The "temporary" (initial) residence permit (MUKW1) does not function as a travel document (you still need your passport), but it does entitle you to visa-free travel within the EU (but your UK passport does this too). It does seem to help in demonstrating that you already live in the EU, rather than being some random foreigner, so that has been helpful when they think I've spent too much time in the EU.

The "long term" (permanent) residence permit (MUKW3), on the other hand, should function as an EU travel document (no passport required). Similarly, it should entitle you to do a citizen registration in any other EU country, on the same basis (proof of address. proof of funds, proof of health insurance) as EU citizens. But I don't have one, so I haven't yet confirmed this personally!

Yes I agree I think we shall still get it as I would rather have the card than the A4 sheet of paper which after two years of covid requirements restrictions etc gets a tad tatty and inconvenient to carry

@Toon Hi, I can see these posts were back in 2022 but we have been told that by November 2023, it will be common place to use a biometric card as a residency card rather than your paper MEU3?  Indeed, that by 2026, the paper versions, pink and yellow slips, will no longer be valid.  We still travel across Europe with work from Cyprus, so it would be useful to ‘fast track' biometric residency cards.  Can anyone help or had experience of this.  We live in the Paphos area but been told Limassol immigration have more appointments..  Thank you. 

Am not sure you can use Limassol if you live in Paphos. Be nice to know for sure one way or the other..

Biometric cards were scheduled to be mandatory from 2026,  I have a gut feeling that with the EU drive for common documents throughout the zone that that programme wil be brought forward possibly by the end of 2024...

Limassol only accept applications from local residents