The pet culture in Egypt

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in Egypt just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in Egypt by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in Egypt? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Hello, This is a great subject. We moved to Egypt last year with our two cats. The process of paperwork in the states was nerve wrecking due to deadlines. When we arrived at the Cairo airport everything went well and was simple.  We have been able To find all the food and necessities for our furkids. It is great that some pet shops deliver which we use all the Time. Even the vet will come Ro your house. The most common pet in households are dogs, usually breed dogs.  Egyptian street dogs are looked down upon by many as are cats. The animal situation here is very sad how they are treated and neglected in the streets. Thankfully there are some kind hearted people who feed them and also so very passionate animal rescuers here in Egypt who give it there all. We now have three cats.. We rescued a kitten from the street and she is most loving. My friend has three Egyptian dogs and they are so smart! The street cats are truly beautiful! I hope and pray Egypt will move forward in kindness for animals.

Hi, I've been living in Cairo for the last 5 years, and since the beginning I tried to adopt some cats, it was hard at the beginning, as street cats are normally very sick and it's hard to find a good vet clinic, after few tries and different vet clinics I found a good one, expensive but at least I'm comfortable with it.
In terms of food, there's a good variety for the different types of budgets, and normally is easier to find things for dogs than cats but, there's always a place
The most common pet is the dog, and people is starting to invest a lot on them.

Hope this helps