Adopting a pet in Egypt

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in Egypt.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Egypt?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Egypt?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in Egypt? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

no rules here for this thing just have whatever you want and get the vaccines and all is good then ! if you meant to say importing a pet definitely you will encounter a s*** procedures up on its arrival . feel free to let it pee in streets thats common here 🤣

Many foreigners get pets here, usually they find them on the street...  They give them care and love and a home.  But when they decide to leave and relocate their life to another part of the world, they sometimes dump their pet at a shelter... leaving them broken-hearted and crying all night in their shelter cage.  So what I would like to say is that pet adoption should be thought out carefully and the decision to adopt a living and feeling creature should only be made when you decide to care for them for their whole life.  If you plan to relocate in your pet's lifetime, you should be kind and responsible and take your pet with you.  Pet adoption is making an animal a family member, it's a commitment.  Don't break their little heart ❤️

Contact HOPE Beladi Animal Rescue and Rehabilitation on facebook and they can help

Tell them I referred you

i don't recommend any connection with any institution regarding the irresponsible attitude against the civil community organization from security forces ! no need ti put  a high light spot on your own self .. just keep it simple !

Hi,

I adopted a native Egyptian Mau July 4, 2010 and still have her with us in the USA.  If you do adopt a pet or rescue one while in Egypt, I recommend you set a small amount of money aside towards the travel you will need for your country.  Also, start any blood preparations you need immediately and keep the vaccines update Incase you need to leave Egypt unexpectedly like what happened during the revolution or change in life arrangements.

The quality of Veterinary care in Egypt varies so please do your homework before you bring to any clinic.

For the cost in Egypt.  You will need the standard food, litter, vet care.

Sincerely,

Cheryl

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : no free ads pleas + do not post any personal contact details on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@cherylmcmurray hi dear, what did they ask you to fly out with your cat? im planning on doing the same maybe even before the year ends. Flying to the USA or maybe spain not sure yet

@oya567

Hi, there are no requirements for the USA, but they may ask for the vaccine card for review to ensure they are vaccinated for rabies.  If you do land in Spain, you need to do the rabies titer test which takes about four months to get the results. 

As I understand, the country of Egypt needs the rabies titer test done at the Ministry of Agriculture so they can leave Egypt.  I had a problem last year and was stuck in France for a few hours as being disembarked.  It was good I had my cat's rabies titer test done for North America, otherwise, I think they would be held in quarantine or sent back to Egypt. The test is fast and does not cost much.  Your cat needs to be vaccinated for rabies about three weeks before your flight. So even though it's not a requirement for North America, it is for Egypt for your cat to leave the country. 

You will need to call your airline to make a reservation for your cat to travel as "accompanied baggage" even if in the cabin.  Make sure you know the kennel dimensions in cm and the weight. I always tell them 10lbs.  The carrier needs to fit under the seat in front of you.

And if you have two flights, make sure your cat is booked on both flights. That's where I got hung up in France last year.  Air France didn't make the second reservation and my luggage and cats were unloaded.  I had to book (with the help of Air France) another flight home with them on my ticket.  If you are using two different airline carriers you may have to pay for two tickets for your cat.

I hope this helps and if you need any assistance let me know. I work with many in Egypt who know how to get things done for animal transport.

Cheryl

@cherylmcmurray yes and it's different from airline to another I mean about prices, and instructions, vaccine is so important and also the cage or bag for pet's