How to sell Suburban 2011 in Cancun

I inherited a gorgeous Suburban 2011 in Cancun, driven 96,000 miles. I'm a US citizen and need help with selling it. It was bought in the US but now has a Mexican license plate. I was in Cancun briefly but since the car is not in my name etc it's complicated to go through car dealers. Wish someone would buy it for a good deal it so I don't have to deal with the paperwork. I don't  speak Spanish and for me to drive it back to the US is risky due to crime rates. Any helpful solutions?

Hotel zone wrote:

I inherited a gorgeous Suburban 2011 in Cancun, driven 96,000 miles. I'm a US citizen and need help with selling it. It was bought in the US but now has a Mexican license plate. I was in Cancun briefly but since the car is not in my name etc it's complicated to go through car dealers. Wish someone would buy it for a good deal it so I don't have to deal with the paperwork. I don't  speak Spanish and for me to drive it back to the US is risky due to crime rates. Any helpful solutions?

So I don't see how you can legally do anything given this part "the car is not in my name etc " No official ownership no right to do anything with it. How did it get a Mx. plate?  You are right about driving it to the U.S. that is a cartel type vehicle. you could ship it but then you have the current situation in the U.S. and Mx. plates. I think your best bet would be to talk to the U.S. embassy here in Mexico. Then you can speak English and find out what the rules are.

Where is the owner of record ? without owning the car you can't sell it. No offense intended, but the vehicle is not the great deal you think. It's a gas guzzler and there are currently major gas issues in Mexico, it is old enough to develop issues, and its a cartel magnet.

good luck, hope the embassy can help you find a way out of this scary situation.

The US Will that lists me inheriting the Suburban is not valid under Mexican law. I have the US title listing the deceased as owner but again not valid once the car has a mexican registration plate. Can't find import papers. The deceased owner spent the majority of the year vacationing in Mexico as he was retired.
The upside of driving a cartel type of car is that no one dares honking at you! Maybe this blue book valued vehicle at 17,000 US has to just be abandoned or given to charity. I still have the US plates and could pay the fine of delayed return to the US. Tricky part is to get it to the US border from Cancun.

No way a 2011 with 96000 miles has a $17000 blue book. Maybe at retail sale after being reconditioned professionally. Sounds like you inherited a problem. Sorry for your loss.

Like any lawyer or notary in Canada would say...you better have a will made in Mexico for any belongings you own in Mexico. That is what my Canadan notary told my wife and I "have separate wills for each country belongings".

One option would be to get the US will translated and accepted but could be costly don't know!
Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

Hotel zone wrote:

The US Will that lists me inheriting the Suburban is not valid under Mexican law. I have the US title listing the deceased as owner but again not valid once the car has a mexican registration plate. Can't find import papers. The deceased owner spent the majority of the year vacationing in Mexico as he was retired.
The upside of driving a cartel type of car is that no one dares honking at you! Maybe this blue book valued vehicle at 17,000 US has to just be abandoned or given to charity. I still have the US plates and could pay the fine of delayed return to the US. Tricky part is to get it to the US border from Cancun.

I  still think talking to the counsel or embassy would be your best bet. At least you would have a viable opinion based on law. trying to drive it to the border would be scary at best. There is no upside to driving a cartel type car. you don't want their attention and no one would believe you were in the cartel. So you would be a target with a desirable auto. You don't own it, somehow it has a Mexican plate, which may not even be a legal plate.  If the police notice the plate is not being renewed then that becomes an issue. You could hire an attorney who speaks English.

Sounds like I'm down to 2 options. Giving it to a charity and use the tax deduction. Give to his personal assistant and hope she doesn't get in trouble because of it.

Hotel zone wrote:

Sounds like I'm down to 2 options. Giving it to a charity and use the tax deduction. Give to his personal assistant and hope she doesn't get in trouble because of it.

I was talking to a native friend of mine, and he basically said without papers you can't even give it away. Check with the council to see what you could do to get it back in the states. Anyone who has it has a potential problem.

I have a new car that required a friend to sign the contract because I have no Mexican credit. I paid, and he died, so his family had to make the transfer paperwork, that has taken 8 months, but I will have the paperwork soon then I can register the car in my name. What you are talking about is much more time consuming and expensive given that the car has a questionable history and an unclear title.

Sorry and good luck

I could get a special 3 day permit from the DMV in the US that allows me to re enter US using the original US plates despite the temporary tourist vehicle permission having expired a year ago. Thing is I'm scared to drive it outside Cancun. I got pulled over the other day due to holding a telephone while looking at Google map. Fortunately 10,000 pesos cash on hand got me out of the situation. Close call.

10,000 pesos?   Boy, this just gets worse So now you have a money reputation and can look forward to more stops and more money,

If I were you I would stop driving it. In order to use the permit, you talk about you would have to be a lot closer to the U.S. than Cancun. For some reason, you are not involving the U.S. counsel.
We can only advise based on experience and knowing the country. You have a serious problem, only you can cut your loses No one safe will volunteer to drive it for.

I read there is a market for coyote cars when driving south over the border to Belize.
1000 pesos it was, 50 bucks.

Hotel zone wrote:

3rd option- advertise (sell) it as "Chocolate" and take the best of the low ball offers and be done with it.
Good luck

Hotel zone wrote:

I could get a special 3 day permit from the DMV in the US that allows me to re enter US using the original US plates despite the temporary tourist vehicle permission having expired a year ago. Thing is I'm scared to drive it outside Cancun. I got pulled over the other day due to holding a telephone while looking at Google map. Fortunately 10,000 pesos cash on hand got me out of the situation. Close call.

Wow. that's incredible. They saw you coming. You're going to be real popular in Mexico.