USA plated car in Ensenada perm resident

Hi all expats. I really need some help here . I need permanent residents who live in Rosarito or Ensenada In Baja California to please help! I am a permanent resident of Mexico I was told to never drive a USA plated car in Mexico it could be confiscated. My Mexican attorney that helped with visa in chapala told me this . Now I am moving to Ensenada and I have several people trying to tell me that the laws of Mexico don't apply to Baja California?? That I can drive my Arizona plated car there. Others who live there say no. Why don't I believe this ? Can someone who knows and lives there help . I tried to call 3 different Mexican consulates in Southern California I cant get anyone to answer the phone . Thanks for any help!

I have read there is no issue driving USA plated cars in Baja.  You will see more CA plates in Baja than MX plates.  We have driven ours 3-4 times a year and plan to move there in 16 months and keep our CA plates. 
Check www.baja123.com and see if they talk about it in their info area.

Hi James are you a permanent resident of Mexico? I know temporary residency it is ok to drive a USA plated car

I am not but plan to become when time gets closer.  Do you have a US address?  That might be the issue.  We plan to keep a home base in either CA or TX once we retire and our condo is completed.  So we will still have a US license and registration address for our cars.

jamesr3939 wrote:

I am not but plan to become when time gets closer.  Do you have a US address?  That might be the issue.  We plan to keep a home base in either CA or TX once we retire and our condo is completed.  So we will still have a US license and registration address for our cars.

Thanks James but there lies the problem, I am a permanent resident and am prohibited by federal law from driving a USA plated car . My immigration attorney told me that. Now I am moving into a free zone in Ensenada and I am getting conflicting answers from people. Some say yes some say no . Sigh I might need to drive all the way into Tucson consulate before I go .

I found this in a quick search.  It is clear there's a difference between mainland MX and Baja even for people with Permanent status.  It appears you don't need a Temporary Importation Permit to bring a vehicle into Baja or operate it there like mainland. 

https://www.mexperience.com/bringing-fo … to-mexico/

Seems problem with consulates is you don't get the same answer from different places.

jamesr3939 wrote:

Thanks so much I found the answer there but it's not really a answer lol but I am not going to take a chance
Please explain what you mean that the matter of Residente Permanentes owning / driving a foreign-plated car in the Vehicle Free Zones is a “moot issue in the law presently”. I have tried for years to find out if a RP in the free zones can legally drive a foreign plated vehicle and I've had no success. If looked at the Aduana and SAT websites and haven't been able to find anything. I also haven't been able to find any info regarding what I can and can't do as a RP. Please help.
Mexperience
Hi Stephan: By “moot” we meant that it's subject to debate and uncertainty (as you've discovered there is a lack of clear legal guidance); we understand that there are people with RP status who own and run foreign plated vehicles in the free zones without any apparent problem; however, as that situation is a well-known gray area in the law, it's not therefore assured and anyone with RP and a foreign plated vehicle needs to be prepared to respond accordingly if and when the legal situation in this matter is made clear either way.

So the answer is, "maybe, could be, possible."

You sir a a very smart man and have or will do well in Mexico! Mucho gusto mi amigo

I've lived full-time in Rosarito for the past 5 years. I drive a US plated vehicle (California). Most of the expats I know here (a lot) drive US plated vehicles. No problem.

@mel01 the question is: are you an American Citizen? I can see that no one asked the question.

The question here has zero to do with my citizenship or my residency in the USA. A permanent resident of Mexico can not drive a car with American plates, it will be impounded and confiscated if you are caught as fully explained by my attorney in Mexico. The question is the free zone of Mexico apparently that is the only place in Mexico if you are permanent resident you can drive your USA plated car. Please do not attempt to drive anywhere else but free zone in Mexico , in your American car , ior you will lose it. I have 2 friends that live in Guadalajara that are switching from temporary resident to permanent resident that are driving all the way back to USA to sell their car. I think the Mexican government needs to hand out flyers because I am shocked at all the expats that don't know this. Permanent resident except in free zone can't drive a USA plated car.

Looks like you are mixing issues. If you are a residente permanente you can not have a U.S. plated car. Driving in and out in a free zone is a different issue.

If you are just crossing the border you can have a U.S. plate, you can drive around in the free zone and have no problems. Once you drive beyond the free zone then you need to pay an import fee ( this is for visitors).
If you become a permanente and drive a U.S. plated car you can have problems and lose your car in MEXICO ( the country, not just the city).

I suppose you could risk it and figure you will never be stopped, but I wouldn't.  While driving a U.S. plated car I got stopped often, with a Mx. plated car rarely. T.J. and Ensenada get a lot of U.S. traffic, so likely the cops don't focus on plates that much. If they do they can get pretty unpleasant. Plus a U.S. plate says visitor and money, someone who will be in and out and if they have a problem who cares, they will be back in the U.S. soon.

I don't live in the T.J. area, but visit friends there. People living in the free zones T.J. areas, and Cancun area tend to get pretty confused about the rules of the country.  I'm permanent and have lived and traveled in Mexico for over 7 years.

Being an American citizen driving a U.S. plated is sort of a given, Even people who have Mexican parentage, as well as the U.S, are  American by law (so far).

Many born in the U.S. and living in Mexico who have Mexican parentage drive the U.S. plated cars to work and shop in the U.S. . It's easier, which should tell you something. Being a Mexican citizen is a whole new issue, so stick to the main question.
You are an American citizen with a resident Permanente right? The question is can you, a  R.P. drive a U.S. plated car, right?  The answer so far is no not legally. When you did the R.P. paperwork not having a foreign plated car was part of that paperwork. To ignore that could jeopardize your car, but also your R.P. status.

Mexperience is a good website I often recommend for general information, but even they have problems with the shifting laws and rules now. If I were you I would play it safe, and move to a Mx. plated car fairly quickly.

I thought so 2 travellite . Mexico federal law should apply to all of Mexico! Permanent resident can't drive USA plated car in Mexico period anywhere. I lived in Ajijic and Playa Del Carmen both sides of Mexico. Then I got in a conversation with  several residents in Ensenada that vehemently disagreed. I read the above that I qouted in Mexpat about it being a gray area, and I reached out on mexpat forum. 2 gentlemen responded . One works as a expat resettlement agent and has Mexico customs, immigration etc attorneys he works with . I believe the other lived in Ensenada and went to the Phoenix Mexico consulate. They both sent me the same brochure with a map marked with the free zone areas and a explanation of the rules that apply. It came from the Mexican gov. Permanent resident can drive a USA plated car in the free zone and a TIPP is not needed by anyone. All of Baja California is a free zone. But I agree it is what it is until it isn't and then you lose your car lol 😂 Mexican car and insurance is cheaper.

Yes, Melo1,

Always better safe than sorry. Plus sometimes people offering a service for money want to tell you what you want to hear.

If you pay attention to the current politics you should be very careful. I know the visitor information page changed radically after the election, and funding for many Mexican based programs and agencies were reduced or eliminated. My friend's daughter has seen radical changes in education and funding for many things.  She has a Ph.D. in education here.
Potential income for Mexico from tourists and sporting events have taken a back seat. Not a time to test limits or challenge laws

If you drive a USA plated car in Baja CA you need a USA license.

I know this is a little off topic, but keep in mind there really is no visitor "free zone" any longer.  At least in what those who have been around this topic prior to 2015 commonly think of as the "free zone."   

It doesn't really impact temp or perm residents.  But those of us who haven't gotten there yet and still just visit should be aware.  Prior to 2015 you could visit the northern Baja area without any permit.  This was the area people still want to call the "free zone" (20 kilometers from the border and less than 72 hours).   

After September 2015 everybody traveling into the former "free zone" has to have a Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM).  It's free for stays of seven days or less or you can get one for $37 that's good for six months for multiple trips back and forth.  You can stop and get a FMM at the major border crossings.     

There is one place wwwdiscoverbaja.com where you can purchase the FMM in advance.  They process and Email it to you.  Then all you have to do is get it stamped when you first enter Mexico.  We did that in February and it was an easy quick stop at the TJ crossing to get it stamped.  If you wait to purchase the six month FMM at the border you have to walk next door to a bank to pay for it and come back with the receipt.

Actually, the free zone was more about the import fee concept for the car you were driving.  If you didn't plan to drive further into Mexico you didn't have to pay a fee, People had pass cards and just drove back and forth. 
Be aware that many things are changing and will likely change again.  Some things have changed just since last year. 2015 is sort of irrelevant., The current administration and president were not in office then.

travellight wrote:

Be aware that many things are changing and will likely change again.  Some things have changed just since last year. 2015 is sort of irrelevant., The current administration and president were not in office then.

Change/likely change in Mexico?  No Way!  My info about 2015 wasn't  irrelevant the law DID change and did away with the "free zone" where no tourist card was needed.  There is no border check asking for your FMM.  You are on the honor system.  Discover Baja also sells MX insurance, which we do purchase in advance also.  They point out that for MX auto insurance to be valid you must obey all laws.  It might a ploy to sell FMM's but they mention that not having an FMM might not be obeying all laws.  Personally, I'm not taking the chance for $37.   

As of February 2019 nothing changed from what I posted when we last crossed into Baja.  So apparently the 2015 process after is still good, as of today (who knows about tomorrow).  I find the Discover Baja www site to be very up to date.  They are great at posting road changes (which happen often in Baja) and the tourist information stays current. 

Since they are the only US vendor allowed to process FMM's I do give them some street cred.

jamesr3939 wrote:
travellight wrote:

Change/likely change in Mexico?  No Way!  My info about 2015 wasn't  irrelevant the law DID change and did away with the "free zone" where no tourist card was needed.  There is no border check asking for your FMM.  You are on the honor system.  Discover Baja also sells MX insurance, which we do purchase in advance also.  They point out that for MX auto insurance to be valid you must obey all laws.  It might a ploy to sell FMM's but they mention that not having an FMM might not be obeying all laws.  Personally, I'm not taking the chance for $37.   

As of February 2019 nothing changed from what I posted when we last crossed into Baja.  So apparently the 2015 process after is still good, as of today (who knows about tomorrow).  I find the Discover Baja www site to be very up to date.  They are great at posting road changes (which happen often in Baja) and the tourist information stays current. 

Since they are the only US vendor allowed to process FMM's I do give them some street cred.

"Change/likely change in Mexico?  No Way! "

This is what I'm concerned about. There have been major changes in Mexico beyond just Baja. I live in Mexico and I know many jobs have been lost and people are concerned.  I know the new in-process airport in Mexico isn't in process since the election. Money spent but plans change. Contracted workers are not needed and most are contract workers now. Regulations to license my car changed since the year before. How police agencies function and who they answer to changed. One could almost write a book about the changes.

My point about 2015 was that was then, The changes are not set in stone and could easily change tomorrow, next week or next year, Noone should assume things will never change.

If you drive your car into Baja California Mexico nobody is asking for a FMM or anything.
If you are driving a plated USA car then you must have a license from the USA that's it. It's not complicated.

Chilangolite wrote:

If you drive your car into Baja California Mexico nobody is asking for a FMM or anything.
If you are driving a plated USA car then you must have a license from the USA that's it. It's not complicated.

They might not ask at the border for the FMM but it's still the law and our real estate agent said they might ask for it especially if you have a negative encounter with the police.  We have never gotten the red light crossing in.  I wonder if we did if they would ask for the FMM.  It's the law so I'm getting it.

They can ask for anything when the mood strikes. When they are having a bad day, or if they are bored.
That is what you have to be ready for. Know your rights and be clear and polite.

I was asked if I had an international license, they implied that I needed one. I knew it was a convenience not a valid required license so I just said I would check into that.
Another time I was asked ( in my Mx plated car) where I was going. I was going home and told them so. Then one of them said how long did I plan to be there? The other cop just looked at him and we all laughed. ( it was obviously a pull over all cars or truck that are red day.) Sounds silly, I know, but sometimes they seem to just choose criteria and use it.

jamesr3939 wrote:
Chilangolite wrote:

They might not ask at the border for the FMM but it's still the law and our real estate agent said they might ask for it especially if you have a negative encounter with the police.  We have never gotten the red light crossing in.  I wonder if we did if they would ask for the FMM.  It's the law so I'm getting it.

Red light/Green light entering Mexico is only ADUANA - Mexican Customs when driving. To see Mexican Immigration when driving you need to stop at the INM -Mexican Immigration office. If walking through San Diego at the San Yisidro crossing you pass through ADUANA and INM and they want to see your passport, ask you how long you will be in Mexico and give you an FMM form to fill out no matter how long you plan to be in Mexico.

We have only driven across and gotten our FMM in advance for the full six months, which you have to pay for.  The seven day FMM is free so I could have stopped and gotten one of those at the INM.  If you want the six month FMM and don't get it in advance I understand the INM won't take the payment there.  They make you walk around the building to a bank, pay, and come back with the receipt. 

Since we already had the completed form and payment receipt in hand we just went into the INM office at San Ysidro they stamped it and we were on our way. 

Now that Discover Baja has our information on file I can just send them an EMail and they will process us another six month FMM.  Plus, they have pretty good rates for MX car insurance so I don't have to stop and buy that either.

They would not ask.

Chilangolite wrote:

They would not ask.

I know, before we realized it was the law we drove several time without FMM's.

Don't get your hopes up on getting help from a usa Consulate.

Kinobay
Are you talking about a  Mexican counsel in the U.S or a U,S, counsel in Mexico? And help to do what?

Both ! Every time I have needed help they have been absolutely terrible.  The ones in Hermosillo and Nogales have straight out lied to me and refused entry.   Complaining to my Senator about their treatment got me nowhere.
  They are nothing like you see in the movies!!

Hi to all, reading back the first post from "Mel01" my understanding in regards to owning and driving a foreign plated vehicle is the following but could be incorrect:

Owning a vehicle
1- if your are a permanent resident of Mexico you can't own or bring in Mexico a foreign plated vehicle
2- if you are a temporary resident of Mexico (up to 4 yeras) you can temporarily import your foreign plated vehicle but you need the TIP (temporary import permit)

Driving a vehicle
1- no matter your residency status (permanent, temporary or visitor FMM), you can drive a foreign plated vehicle BUT
A- you must have a valid driver's license (Mexican or foreign)
B- if the vehicle is a foreign plated with TIP THAN the owner or spouse must always be present in the vehicle

Hoping this is helpful and sure there are many illegal vehicles in Mexico

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

Hi to all again, here are some links on the subject some are in spanish.

http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehicu … ngles.aspxhttp://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehicu … ngles.aspx (in this case being a permanent resident than doesn't apply based on my understanding)
http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehicu … fault.aspxhttps://www.mexpro.com/blog/driving-for … d-vehicleshttps://www.mexperience.com/bringing-fo … to-mexico/

Adios otra vez, GyC

From what I have recently learned: tourist visa(passport) it is okay in all of Baja. Permanent visa is illegal to drive foreign plated cars.
I found out the hard way. I skipped the “temporal” visa and got the Permanente. I wanted to drive my dogs to Los Cabos and get my Permanent Resident Card. I can NOT do that now and I haven't figured out what to do!
Also, “temporal visa” is also okay to drive foreign plated vehicles in Mexico.

So Tennis I guess you could rent a car. Or you could get a friend to drive your car coming in as a tourist. Your car of course cant stay in Mexico so it would have to be returned or sold in the U.S.

We've had extensive posts on this issue in the recent past.

You would think you would have 30 days just like you have to complete Visa process. Had I gotten a Temporal Visa, I would have been fine.

You cannot take a rental across the border.

My friends have been discouraging me from moving to Mexico. They won't ride or drive down there.

Oh well, maybe it wasn't meant to be. Very disappointing. I was almost there!!

I also have left several messages at the consulate to see if I could change my visa from Permanente to Temporal but so far no reply.

Thanks for replying!

Not so. Once you have Permanent status you canNOT drive a foreign-plated vehicle!

My permanent visa application did not mention a vehicle.

I actually went to my Visa appointment to get a Temporal Visa. But, since I had all the paperwork for either I decided to go for the Permanente.

That was my mistake. Now I am stuck without a car to drive in Mexico. I can't even drive to complete my  Permanent Resident Card.

Can I change my card to Temporal? Do you know?

Hi Tennisphelps, was the permanente status approved? If so, you have to consult with a lawyer, but as far as I remember, there is no rolling back. When you gain permanente status, it´s there. The only way I can think you can start as temporal is to lose your status as permanente and start all over again.

You can lose your status by waiting for the expiration and not renewing, another way is to enter into Mexico as a tourist, but that is NOT recommended, I am only stating a fact.

Thanks so much for responding. I think you are correct. I have gotten no response from Mexican Consulate. I think I may have to rethink my dream of moving to Los Cabos. I'm sure this would be just the beginning of the bureaucracy. Maybe I'll try Florida.😬

@Mel01

Hello. I drove my West Coast plated Ford truck ambulance into Ensenada through the Border in Sept 2021 easily enough and enjoyed a couple of weeks and driving and parking around the city with great ease. No one said a thing. No documents aside from my driver's license were requested at the border or anywhere else.

My service dog and I could have stayed longer if I did not have other obligations in the states at the time. I know a few of the entry rules have changed recently but I hope it is as easy for you now as it was for us last year.