UWV/IND Approval

Good Day Everyone,

I have been searching the forum and couldn't find the info I was looking for, so sorry if this has been asked and answered.

I have been waiting since last July to find out if I will get a GVVA approved. I was informed I will find out by the end of next month but I was wondering if they do approve the permit what would be the chances that they would extend the permit?

Thank you for your time.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Your permit will be valid from the date it is issued, not the date you applied.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks Cynic.

I understand that, but what I am curious about is if my work contract gets extended how likely will the UWV/IND extend the GVVA, since it is taking them 7 months now to decide.

Thanks,
Alyssa

Hi again.

It depends; the fact it is taking an inordinate amount of time to make a decision for your permit will have no bearing on its duration (even if IND's fault).  Some permits are short-term (i.e. au pair, seasonal workers, working holiday exchange programme, or to gain work experience after graduating) and are for a maximum of 12-months from the date of issue; you cannot apply to extend these.

Routine work permits are normally valid for 5- years from the date of issue, your job contract won't be that long.  I say normally because if they have taken 6-months to make a decision, then there is something different about your application - they generally only take 3 months at the very most, most are much shorter, with some special ones only taking 7 days.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic

It's just a normal GVVA single permit. My contract is only for 7 months with the possibility of extension. I think I had heard there was some issue with the UWV/IND and my company had to make an appeal. I guess this is why I am concerned they would deny any extensions I apply for.

Thank you.

Alyssa

Hi again,

7-month contracts like these seem to be the new norm in the Netherlands; mainly to get around the employment protection laws (my daughter just switched jobs and her new contract is only for 7 months with an option to extend).

I'm guessing (because IND hasn't told anybody), that the issue is probably related to the fact that historically, they would not issue a normal work/residence permit to anybody with a contract of less than 12 months duration, so IND/UWV have probably had to re-write their procedures.

I wish you the best of luck in your new job.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic,

From my understanding the issue was because UWV thought it was an IT job (which there are people there that can do it) when in reality it's not an IT job.

Thanks again for everything.

Alyssa

Did you mean some GVVA applications take just 7 days to process? What about the 5 weeks for labour market test?

No the GVVA takes longer. The highly skilled migrant can take 7 days.

Unless they are talking about jobs on the shortened skills list.

What is the approval rate for GVVA applications?

An update for anyone reading this. After months of waiting the IND denied the permit and there was nothing else that could be done. At this point I was just relieved that they finally made a decision but it has definitely deterred me from trying to get another job in The Netherlands again.

Hello everyone,

I can't wait to find out the decision of the IND/UWV on my gvva application. I am literally fighting, surviving and trying to achieve my goal, working in the Netherlands, for more than a year. After countless rejection,  the right company found me and the only thing left is the approval of the IND. Since the company didn't have any foreign employer, first application didn't fulfill the market test and dismissed. Luckily, Now waiting an answer from second application after two months again. The company searched other candidates and decided to go on with me. I'm pretty nervous, I am chemical engineering graduate and hoping that Netherlands accepts me this time to pursue my career.

From your experiences, how long does it take to collect the MVV sticker after approval?

Wish me luck and hoping you will have a great week!!

Toetteke