What kind of help is there in Amman for victims of abuse?

I'm an American woman and mother of 4 living in Amman.  My husband is Jordanian.  The oldest three children were born in the USA and the youngest (a baby daughter) born in Jordan.  My husband has taken the children's passports to prevent me from returning to the states with the children.  Since living in Jordan, my husband has become more abusive, both physically and verbally.  My husband feels he can get away with such abuse because he knows my rights as a woman in Jordan is limited.  I desperately want to apply for citizenship and passport for my daughter who was born in Jordan, but my husband has taken her birth certificate.  Because my husband is Jordanian, the children automatically have dual Jordanian and American citizenship.  I am subjected to domestic violence and want to leave, but I don't want to leave the country without my children, especially the baby who is currently 6 months of age.  In the U.S, I can live independently as a single mother; however, in Jordan I cannot.   Both my children and I wish to return to the U.S where we will be safe from my husband's abuse but he is forcing the kids to stay here.  I feel helpless and don't know what else I should do.

I don't know how things are in Jordan.  What should I do when my husband hits me?   Do I call the police? Are there any laws and resources protecting women from domestic violence?

PM me immediately

Yes you can call family protection at police department

I am also not fluent in Arabic .  I know basic words but I am worried about the language barrier

Can you tell me what kind of abuse ? Or are any things clear on your body or on your kids?

It's physical, emotional, and verbal abuse.  He has hit me and the children.  I have taken pictures of past injuries, but I have currently no visible mark. But not all assaults will leave a mark.  He has assaulted me recently by hitting my head but left no visible mark.  He also threatens me with violence.  I believe his behavior has become worse after moving to Jordan, because he feels he can do anything he wants while I am vulnerable

You don't know anyone here so he can help you with Arabic and the police

I would suspect the best course of action is a quiet trip to the nearest US embassy for emergency travel documents, then doing a runner while the 'man' is at work.
I use 'man' because any husband that hits is wife is hardly a man.

Hi,
I would take another route. Why don't you get his family involved? Also, people in this country would listen and respect religious people? Go to the nearest Church or Mosque and ask to see the head. I am sure they will help. Things can get better for the sake of the children to have both parents around. May be he is not happy at work, finance,...etc and he is not able to say it. religious leader will open it up. Think about it.

Aldermoor,
I already tried getting his family involved a long time ago but no matter how many times I try to explain to them the situation and the problems, they do nothing to help me.  In their eyes, my husband can do no wrong and he is free to do whatever he wants.  I gave up on getting his family to intervene because they simply don't want to intervene.  Plus they will always be on his side even if he does the most terrible things. 

I don't believe that going to see a religious leader will help much because in my experience conservative men tend to discriminate against women more and tend to side with the man more.  Plus I am an American, which gives them a another reason to be more discriminatory.   I'm also shocked that many people here in Jordan have this kind of mentality that it is permissible for a husband to verbally abuse and beat his wife.  It's hard when women have limited rights in this patriarchal society. 

Under normal conditions, children should be with both parents.  However, when the father is extremely abusive and constantly assaults both the mother and the kids, it's best for the mother to leave the abuser with the kids.  It's not a healthy environment for the kids and they grow up thinking they should use violence to get what they want.  I don't want my daughter to think it's ok for a man to abuse her. Not only will this cause them mental problems, I simply cannot handle putting up with both the emotional and physical abuse.  If only I have their passports I would return to the U.S with the kids immediately.

I see.
Sent you PM, please go through it.