A Pakistani dating a Jordanian Man

Hi. I am a Muslim, Pakistani from a religious but liberal well-established family from Lahore. I've been educated in the US. I am dating a Jordanian guy who is also an open-minded Muslim and he has also completed his graduate education here Chicago as well. He is very sweet and respectful...and we're both Muslims and have some cultural similarities. I also want to learn Arabic. What is Jordanians' attitude is towards Pakistanis? What would Jordanian families think of a Pakistani-Jordanian marriage? Is there a future to this? I understand that several foreigners are not really accepted by most Jordanian families - and he has a conservative extended family. But is this different for Muslims or Pakistani Muslims or are they also not acceptable? My family wants me to marry a Muslim man, and a Jordanian is okay....They would happily accept a Jordanian, but not a Westerner. But would his family want him to marry his cousin and not accept me? Are any Jordanians racist towards Pakistanis? I would be grateful for your opinion.

I am Jordanian, Actually it depends on his family, the families who coming from Palestine and still connected to Palestine (either Palestinians and resident in Jordan or Jordanian and resident in Palestine) these families will not accept you at all because they see that their girls have more priority of this man more than you and they could make him married the second wife after you from them. Most of these families in east of Amman, Zarqa and some in Irbid.

Most of the families in central and west of Amman, they have no problems and they welcoming different cultures, I know many families that their wives are not Arabs, but of course she must be Muslim or Christian only, because the life in Jordan is mostly independent, no time to visit your friends and parents in law else than weekends so the interaction in worst case is limited and could be controlled easily.

As a Pakistani, don't think anyone will not welcome you, all nationalities are welcomed, we have many nationalities in Jordan either Arabs like Syrian, Iraqi, Egyptians or Non-Arabs like Asians, Europeans and Americans, just you need little bit of basic Arabic terms which near to Urdu, most of the Jordanians are educated and speaking English even for example taxi driver, or seller in shop.

Also please notice that Jordan giving "temporary nationality" for Palestinians people from Gaza section, "temporary nationality" means passport without national ID, in another meaning the "temporary nationality" holder will be able to travel to any place outside Jordan, but inside Jordan he don't have any right at all, even to open bank account or issue driving license or purchase a car or house.

Finally please notice that some usual habits in Pakistan is considered not good in Jordan, I can't list it in public as it could hurt some people.

Regards,
Ayman

Thank you Ayman for your detailed response! He is indeed Jordanian-Jordanian and not Palestinian. Also, understanding Arabic is not difficult for me and I can read and write it. I am curious about what these usual habits may be - I am sure they are stereotypes. As I said, I come from a very respectable family of repute in Pakistan who uphold their values very strongly but are also open minded. If there are common stereotypes against Pakistanis, I would appreciate finding out...

Then go ahead. Inshalla Allah bless you both and make your life more beautiful. Nothing against Pakistani or any other nationality in Jordan, maybe you mean like some Arab countries who take a low view against some nationalities, Jordanians understand only the language of time and money, in addition now it's the most safe place in the middle east, this excludes individual cases which could happen for anyone anywhere.

I am not sure but let your husband check if there is a process to take approval from Jordanian ministry of interior for this marriage, because you will be able to obtain Jordanian nationality after three years of marriage, don't forget that your coming children will be Jordanian by default.

Wishing the best.

Regards,
Ayman

Hey,

I am a British Pakistani living in Jordan and I can assure you what Ayman has said its true..it depends ALOT on the guy's family and how much they are willing to accept you..

Good thing in your case is that both your religion are same..Surprisingly, I found that Pakistani-Jordanian culture values (in most cases) are almost the same too..in terms of family get to gathers, family values, etc) so its not like you are going to face big culture shock after marriage..

On the negative side, you have to be careful..if guy is American-Jordanian then I cant really put him stereo type but if he is from here ..with no offence to anyone I have seen guys here like to fool around a lot..

Wish you good luck :)

Farrukh

It depends. If you are marrying a man from a well educated family, they may not care what race his partner is as long as she is muslim and preferably practising. But be warned, I have some experience of muslim girls from India and China marrying Jordanians and Palestinians from Jordan and moving to Jordan to live. In both cases, when I met their mothers in law, they both described their daughter in law as "sawda", complaining how dark skinned they were compared to whites. And they both put their sons under pressure to marry a second, "more suitable" wife.

Asalamo alykom,
I need some help in asking about a girl who is pakistaani lives in Emirates and want to marry jordanian man in jordan Amman.

I want to know if she visits jordan then what is the process for marriage?

@1400: I think the jordanian man must find out the procedure how to marry his Pakistani girlfriend while he is in Jordan instead herself.
Don't you think?

I think you are right.

Jordanians are not all the same like elsewhere.....

:)

Thankyou for replies. The man ill marry found out all procedure im working on it now.

Primadonna wrote:

@1400: I think the jordanian man must find out the procedure how to marry his Pakistani girlfriend while he is in Jordan instead herself.
Don't you think?

Great point :)

Have you got married now?

Yoh, I hope she was accepted. If only we could learn to accept each other regardless of Religion,  race and culture.the world would be a better place

Hello,

I might come across offensive but my family has lived in the Middle East for 4 generations.  I am Pakistani but my mother is Arab.

The first thing you should know is that there never was a country called Jordan - it was an area (the TransJordan) in between Iraq, Syria and Palestine. 

Amman was the ancient city and Roman settlement called Philadelphia.  So was Petra.

Jordan was created by the British during the oil land grab during WW2.  As was Kuwait, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi etc etc..  Saudi Arabia was created only slightly before this and originally included Yemen until it was discovered that Yemen did not have any oil and then was cut off.  Iraq (was originally Mesopotamia and originally an amalgam of Assyria, Babylon, Chaldea and ancient Sumer) also came into being around the same time.

The area in between established countries like Syria, Palestine, Oman, Iraq was occupied by tribes (the original Arabs who spoke Arabic).  These tribes now occupy parts of Jordan as do a combination of new Palestinians, old Palestinians (who claim to be the original Jordanians), Syrians and Iraqis.  The tribal Arabs tend to be darker and noticeably different from the Caananites (Palestinians and Syrians) and also from the North Iraqis (southern Iraqis are more desert Arab in appearance).

So you need to understand what the background of your boyfriend is.  Basically he is either a Caananite (quite fair) or a tribal Arab (like the Bedouins) or, less likely, an Iraqi in origin.  They all behave differently and have pluses and minuses.

Take care.

Nihari Haleem

And what Farrukh says is basically true, they do fool around a lot.