The importance of local language in Jordan

Hey everyone,

As an expat, language questions often arise due to the need to communicate effectively in a new country. We're curious to read your experiences with learning and using the local language in Jordan.

Here are some questions to get started:

What is the local language spoken in Jordan? Did you learn and use it? How difficult was it to learn?

Are there any resources or services available to help expats learn the local language? What are your tips?

What is the dominant language in the business environment? Have you had to conduct business meetings in the local language?

How does language proficiency contribute to understanding the local culture? Are there any specific cultural nuances or expressions that expats should be aware of?

How important is the local language for daily tasks such as shopping, transport, health and other services in Jordan?

Let's share tips and advice on how to improve language skills and integrate into a new environment.

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

Hello Cheryl! Nice post!

After living one year and a half in Jordan I decided I better apply myself to learn. Since I can not even count to 3 in Arabic I feel surprised, ashamed, lazy and that I wasted too much time about learning the language. Okay the fact is that I did not want to live in this country or even come here. The next fact is...... I met a man and this is changing everything. This man has helped secure me in this country as I am alone. He also is helping me do small investments so I can have some income, I also pick up Arabic words listening to him speak to others. I even don't mind all the smoking everywhere even in shopping malls when your trying to eat! I just tell people politely STOP SMOKING ! And I can get away with it because well.... being a foreigner.....it really helps because in this country people are very hospitable to foreigners. Now my next quest is to be able to tell people to stop smoking in Arabic. 1f601.svg

The important point here related to language is that some foreigner friends gave me a copy of a small book to start to use conversational Arabic. And if anyone would like a copy of it I can send it. Although I still can not count to 3, I can recognize Arabic numbers 1-10 !!! which is a breakthrough for me. By the way I speak French and some Spanish so I do know how to learn another language, however I had so much resistance to Arabic but now have decided to make the effort - since I will most likely stay here in Jordan since even marriage is on the table.

@Rhona1 Hi! when you met him, were you in your native country or already in Jordan? I don't know if you are french but do you know school for foreigners in Amman to learn Arabic?

@Alfaransiyya Ahlan for is the best language school

@Alfaransiyya

Hello, did you find a school yet?

I learn (very slowly) on youtube and with some other little books.

I met the man here. I actually prayed to God because I was having a very hard time all alone and really full of fear and anxiety. I said a prayer before leaving for an appointment for my residency and a couple hours later we met.

I really believe God answered my prayer.

How is life for you so far here?

Hello Cheryl! Nice post!
After living one year and a half in Jordan I decided I better apply myself to learn. Since I can not even count to 3 in Arabic I feel surprised, ashamed, lazy and that I wasted too much time about learning the language. Okay the fact is that I did not want to live in this country or even come here. The next fact is...... I met a man and this is changing everything. This man has helped secure me in this country as I am alone. He also is helping me do small investments so I can have some income, I also pick up Arabic words listening to him speak to others. I even don't mind all the smoking everywhere even in shopping malls when your trying to eat! I just tell people politely STOP SMOKING ! And I can get away with it because well.... being a foreigner.....it really helps because in this country people are very hospitable to foreigners. Now my next quest is to be able to tell people to stop smoking in Arabic. 1f601.svg
The important point here related to language is that some foreigner friends gave me a copy of a small book to start to use conversational Arabic. And if anyone would like a copy of it I can send it. Although I still can not count to 3, I can recognize Arabic numbers 1-10 !!! which is a breakthrough for me. By the way I speak French and some Spanish so I do know how to learn another language, however I had so much resistance to Arabic but now have decided to make the effort - since I will most likely stay here in Jordan since even marriage is on the table.
-@Rhona1

I'd like a copy of that book, I'm learning the Levant arabic