What Do the Different Police Do?

What is the difference between all the various Police forces?  What does Cestur do?  What does the National Police do?  And what does Digimett (sp??) do, who used to be AMET, I think?

My point of reference would be something like a Provincial/State Police, RCMP/FBI, or the local Police in any city/town.

Digimett or however it's spelled are traffic police.

Cestur are meant to assist tourists. You find them in tourist locations.

Nacional police are everything and often overlap with the other two.  Their main purpose is not traffic or tourists though.

And that is basically it in a nutshell.  Then there is the armada, Navy, the drug police, the air force & the army.  Any or all may be utilized at any time. Best to have nothing going on to arouse their curiosity.

There are a whole lot more:

PN
DIGISETT
CESTUR
CESFRONT (border police)
DICRIM (FBI type)
DICAN (anti narcotics)
DICAI (Internal affairs)
DICAT (forensics)
Policia Municipal (city police dealing with such matters as littering)

And then we have the military with a foot in every door. For example, believe it or not there are generals and other ranking military officers assigned to the Ministry of Tourism. The military are still to be found in all walks of life so many years after the end of the dictatorship and in all of those police entities too.

Definitely the country is missing traffic wardens. DIGISETT do their best but the issue of parking in forbidden locations needs more attention imo.

A ridiculous amount of letters, generals and colonels and departments and way too much corruption!

Yes. All are looking for a “tip”. I got pulled over at a checkpoint a couple of days ago, and was asked a few questions. I answered the questions and provided the required paperwork and was let go without giving any money, but I was not in a hurry and waited him out. But at the airport, I picked up my daughter and thanked the National Police with 100 pesos for allowing me to wait at the arrival area. Cheaper than parking.
Bottom line, have a small denomination of currency available

That helps a lot, thank you all.

But let's not exaggerate the misdeeds of a very few of the various police and military officers who come into contact with expats.
My experience is that PN are the only ones that have on occasion sought a propina (tip) and since their big pay rise last year I haven't had a problem. I travel a lot and my interactions have on the whole been formal and I move on quickly. It would appear there are more bad eggs in tourist areas or perhaps more visitors who have been advised in blogs to be ready hand over a small tip.
Just be aware that it is DIGISETT that hand out driving infraction tickets and the fines are fixed and they are diligent in my experience.
The wider corruption element mentioned is not generally encountered by small fish like expats in day to day issues.

And we will disagree on this.

My experience -  The traffic police often have their hands out  - all across this county!  I am stopped regularly as are several of my Dominican employees.

Nacional police will do it as well whenever they get the chance.  Many many  small businesses hand over propinas on a regular basis.  I know of no colmado who doesn't regularly give out small amounts of cash and or products regularly.  In business consulting I tell specific kinds of businesses to be prepared.  Often it goes in the guise of "extra service"  extra vigilance for their business.

Dont kid yourself that this is not part of the fabric of this country.

I absolutely agree it is getting better!  The pay raise certainly helped but it has a long way to go!

I am not disputing the corruption that does exist in DR but rather it's lesser effect on expats especially those choosing DR as a retirement home.

Most expats don't get involved in business so don't see the corruption that can confront  businesses here. Unfortunately the message given to expats wanting to retire here is you get hammered all the time. That to me is the wrong message.

I have driven 4000km in the past month all over DR and in the capital. Passed numerous check points and never stopped but waved through in a few. In the past year driving the length of the country from south west to north east and south east to north west and many more kilometres and it has been a case of being asked for my ID and vehicle documents and a waved on. I do think having residency and DR license helps. I don't see DIGISETT as the problem rather far too many Dominicans now being stopped for poor driving and infractions and after arguing, also land up digging into their pockets to avoid a ticket and fine which are quite large now. Frankly Dominicans in general are poor drivers with a total lack of respect for the rules of the road and are quick to fault much needed traffic policing so I personally would not lend too much weight to their stories. Know the rules, drive properly and have the right documentation (ideally photocopies to hand over for inspection - a lawyers advice several years ago) and be polite if stopped is my suggestion.

I would rather send the message of caution to expats as to whom can stop you for what and be aware of the checks and the rogue element but don't get paranoid.

And as such the question raised in the first post was a good one, worthy of discussion and for airing differing experiences.

Mine is clearly better than yours, planner., but I am not in local business!

Agree with many of your points.

One additional  consideration: anyone without legal status and or driving with a foreign license after 30 days - you are going to want to avoid any serious interaction with any police.  In this case if a small "propina" gets you on your way, it might be the better way to go!

Yes being in business here is a completely different game.  Various levels of payoff or consideration need to be part of your financial consideration. In some ways like public relations. I tell all my clients, depending on business type, it's an expected expense.

I think the Cestur are also assigned to chase/scatter the hookers when too many publically congregate together. We saw that take place several times last week in Sosua.

Too bad they don't chase the "clients" instead. But, I guess most of them are too old and out of shape to run without having heart attacks. 😂😂😂

Sounds like they are trying to fulfill one of their job responsibilities and protect those old and out of shape tourists to whom your refer!

Incidentally you may come across the name POLITUR, but they are no more and have become CESTUR.

My perception of CESTUR in other tourist areas has been of a visible and helpful presence. Incidentally their role is for domestic tourism also and they can be found in resort areas where few expats venture.

I do not own a car but I have driven here many times. I do not presently own a business here but I have in the past. I've lived up and down the north coast for 3 years now and I have never been stopped or asked for money.

I have had the need to use the police services on one occasion and they were as efficient and professional as any other bureaucratic office that I've ever dealt with.

Having said that, I know that it does go on. Who is giving and who is taking is a matter of perspective.

The word tip was used in this tread. I like that take on it because the majority are not paid well, and as with any career that carries a gun, it also carries more risk. Buying a cop lunch is a nice thing to do in any country.

If it not a tip then it is a bribe. All Expats who have handed over money because they were in the wrong might consider that they are part of the "problem" that they like to complain about.

Well said and welcome to the forums!