How to buy car insurance?

Hi,

I have been living here for nearly 6 months and find all bureaucratic tasks exhausting and frustrating. My husband and I are buying a second hand car and this is proving very challenging. My husband has his international driver's license and mine will be ready in about 10 days. We are trying to buy a colleagues car, but cannot get a straight answer about the following:

1) Does Brazil accept International DL?
2) What insurance companies will insure you with a DL rather than a Brazilian DL?

We need to act quickly, so any info is welcome.

Thanks,
A

1. International DL for the purpose of driving or leasing a rental is fine. Not sure about if you go about buying a car.  Honestly, why would anyone buy a car here is beyond me.
2.There are several. Porto Seguro is the most popular.

Does not matter as DL for buying a car. Bought 1 used and one new. Neither asked about DL.
Bradesco, Banco de Brazil,  and others insure cars. Anything over a certain age and foreign vehicle not built in BR will only insure the liability and not comp.

International Driver´s License can be used to drive a car in Brazil.

If you guys have your CRNM (RNE) and CPF, then you can buy and register that car thru DETRAN. You also need those to have the insurance.

If you were able to buy because you have those documents, I don´t know if they would cover an insurance for that car, the reason being is because an International DL reflects  a temporary condition or stay in this country.

robal

We just bought a new car. Had bought a use one from private party before. When to trade it in towards new car and found there were ticket from the previous owner. Had to pay them and fines were over a couple of years. So if from private party beware better from a dealer. We had a problem with the dealer even after we paid the fee that showed clear title. It turned out the car had be sold but the deal didn't go through but the person who was trying to purchase it had registered it in their name. It took over a month to clear this up the dealer was responsible and did clear it up and paid any costs. We did get a new car and happy it all got cleared the dealer was great will buy there again. Good luck

sprealestatebroker wrote:

1. International DL for the purpose of driving or leasing a rental is fine. Not sure about if you go about buying a car.  Honestly, why would anyone buy a car here is beyond me.
2.There are several. Porto Seguro is the most popular.

Who are the "Several Others" car insurers and any idea on Rates for "New Car's"

NewBrazil wrote:

We just bought a new car. Had bought a use one from private party before. When to trade it in towards new car and found there were ticket from the previous owner. Had to pay them and fines were over a couple of years. So if from private party beware better from a dealer. We had a problem with the dealer even after we paid the fee that showed clear title. It turned out the car had be sold but the deal didn't go through but the person who was trying to purchase it had registered it in their name. It took over a month to clear this up the dealer was responsible and did clear it up and paid any costs. We did get a new car and happy it all got cleared the dealer was great will buy there again. Good luck

Who is insuring the Vehicle for you and  a ballpark rate,is it based on value of the vehicle or just flat, liability and comp.....

Texanbrazil wrote:

Does not matter as DL for buying a car. Bought 1 used and one new. Neither asked about DL.
Bradesco, Banco de Brazil,  and others insure cars. Anything over a certain age and foreign vehicle not built in BR will only insure the liability and not comp.

Big Texas, help a" Bruther" out...lol...kkk...I know you from the Wild,Wild West.....so did you insure the thing or you just Cowboy and go....I am looking to insure a 2018 or 2019 ....
Caixa is doing the Deal do they have a plan or recommendations. .....I am just on the "Bucket List"  got a few years left to drive and I'll be doggone if I can't travel to a few places ...lol...kkk

private parties you need proof the car title is clean wich means proof of " IPVA Quitado"

Lots of crooks around here.  Real Estate, Motor Vehicle Sales, you name it.  This is the Country where folks will move the hot potatoe with no regard to the receiver.  v

And as I mentioned  before, unless you have kids, and plan to live in the Big City, buying a car is a complete waste of resources. 

Taxicab fares are cheap, in my experience Cabbies are by and large honest, there are rental cars, Incompetent Uber Drivers and a decent transportation grid if you are clever enough to avoid the rush hour.

Alaska,
Just returned from US ad going thru my computer.
I found and independent insurance broker here to be a little cheaper. Porto Seguro is what I have. There is Liberty Mutual in Brazil as well as Bradesco and couple more banks.
I too found that I could drive for only 180 days on my International DL. after that I had to go to DETRANS. That is a different story some day.
Got some "goodies' from US and happy as a hog in mud right now.

Big Texas, one day the Calvary and I fly in...lol..thanks for the info...
Glad you got yo vittels fix on.

I may have to go to USA to Str8n out the IRS and shop till I drop, had to Amend 2016 and 2018 and with my shennagins,  I am sure they want to talk to your Comrade...lol...

t's all good they owe, and I need my shopping Money

Once again Thank you and Willie and Waylon and the Boys , send a Yellow Rose of Thanks...rotflmbao

Not sure Vehicle you have, yet can you give me a ballpark figure of one may pay per  month....

I got the Brazilian License, went in showed the Alaska License ,paid the fee and walked out License Brazil....had to do the test of sight and lines. ...

Is the insurance you have based on age, car type etc,etc....

Don't forget George Strait, Yep temped to eat the vittles now but gained a pound or so while traveling, so I will wait.
Yes the insurance is based on age of vehicle. New one runs around R$1600 per year. Old one is $R 500 per year. Now taxes on old is nothing since it is now over 20 years old. New drops every year based on age and price.
Old one is a foreign built so insurance on it covers liability only. Di not understand this, guess cars built in Germany have different parts?????
Tex

Texanbrazil wrote:

Big Texas, were you able to negotiate the price on the "New Car" ? Or was the dealer stuck on stoopid...lol...

I was thinking on your old foriegn, maybe no comp for parts maybe hard to find at least in the insurance companies mind...

Is insurance Mandatory or Drive at one's own risk....smh....

The way I see thingys is it seems a lot of folks here ain't got no insurance after all it is Brasil....kkk=lol

Yes I was able to negotiate on new and used. I know I had to have proof of insurance to register the new car. On the old I just paid the dealer.
It is difficult to find parts here in Foz but there are dealerships is SP, Rio, Cascavel and Paraguay (had to get the a/c part there). Other parts it went o US and brought new headlights brought them back and smaller parts.  Not sure as to law, but I believe you have to have liability. Ins guy said he know many buy y the month and do not pay the second installment.

Got it...thanks "Rescue Ranger"....kkk...lol..smh= Shaking My Head....

Texanbrazil wrote:

Yes I was able to negotiate on new and used. I know I had to have proof of insurance to register the new car. On the old I just paid the dealer.
It is difficult to find parts here in Foz but there are dealerships is SP, Rio, Cascavel and Paraguay (had to get the a/c part there). Other parts it went o US and brought new headlights brought them back and smaller parts.  Not sure as to law, but I believe you have to have liability. Ins guy said he know many buy y the month and do not pay the second installment.

When you say Register the New car, the Dealer did not Register for you ?

So  that means a trip to Detran pay a Registration Fee and surrender my 1st born...with the Insurance binder

Or is the Registry fee included in the Sale and one simply (kkk,lol)  goes to Detran........

They make it Hard out Here on  a "Player"....smh. ...

Never had to go to DETRAN on either car. Dealers did all.

Thanks my mind attack has subsided.......kkkkkkkkkkkķkkkkkkkk

Taxes will come from state's IPVA (Parana's state. Do not know if it is same name for other states) each year.

Texanbrazil wrote:

Taxes will come from state's IPVA (Parana's state. Do not know if it is same name for other states) each year.

With Mail Service here in Juazerio,  I might get them in 2021....lol...uncertain on Bahia...uncertain on Brasil...have no plans of leaving....reminds me of the movie "Catch Me if you Can"!!!!!

Any gov doc's get delivered. Other mail takes time.
Happy driving. :o

Texanbrazil wrote:

Any gov doc's get delivered. Other mail takes time.
Happy driving. :o

Help me with the negotiation strategy on the new Car....lol...kkk

IN Alaska you trade and barter better than all. Best thing I had was trade in and cash to do the talking.

Texanbrazil wrote:

IN Alaska you trade and barter better than all. Best thing I had was trade in and cash to do the talking.

I got cash , hope it speaks up, out and back boorah......
Thanks ....