Brazilian police and Detran

The other day I had an encounter with the policia rodovaria federal whilst driving on my motorbike.
They stopped me and asked for my CNH and Licence for the bike. Then the officer noticed my CNH has category B (cars) and not category A (bikes) which I have on my British license. So I received a fine and penalty points.
The main point is that when I transferred my British license for my Brazilian one, Detran should have included both categories but they didn't and so I have to suffer for their error. Obviously I should have checked this mistake before riding the motorbike on the road but it shows the level of competence in Detran where I usually find the service extremely bad.
When I bought the motorbike from my brother in law, I had to change ownership and I needed a lot of paperwork including my license, documents to verify vehicle and my signature authenticated etc.. but when they gave me the vehicle license they should have checked that my CNH was correct.
The police were particularly rigid with enforcing the penalty and I now have 7 points on my CNH.
This problem seems to show the discrepancies of the law in this country where one government authority doesn't comply with the other.
totally ridiculous.

keanos76 wrote:

The other day I had an encounter with the policia rodovaria federal whilst driving on my motorbike.
They stopped me and asked for my CNH and Licence for the bike. Then the officer noticed my CNH has category B (cars) and not category A (bikes) which I have on my British license. So I received a fine and penalty points.
The main point is that when I transferred my British license for my Brazilian one, Detran should have included both categories but they didn't and so I have to suffer for their error. Obviously I should have checked this mistake before riding the motorbike on the road but it shows the level of competence in Detran where I usually find the service extremely bad.
When I bought the motorbike from my brother in law, I had to change ownership and I needed a lot of paperwork including my license, documents to verify vehicle and my signature authenticated etc.. but when they gave me the vehicle license they should have checked that my CNH was correct.
The police were particularly rigid with enforcing the penalty and I now have 7 points on my CNH.
This problem seems to show the discrepancies of the law in this country where one government authority doesn't comply with the other.
totally ridiculous.

Hi there
Driveing motor bikes in brazil
This is something i need to find out as well and you need to now, but i was told about 3 years ago, that none brazilians are not to drive motor bikes in Brazil, how true that is i dont know, but very soon i will ahve to find out because i need to change my English driving licence for a brazilian one
please let me know how your get on or any info,

It's quite simple really, in Brazil a bikew license is a seperate thing that requires special training classes, it doesn't transfer like the car license.

Yes it's true Pete you can't drive a bike on a FOREIGN license, but you can do the training and get a Brazilian motorbike license

stevefunk wrote:

It's quite simple really, in Brazil a bikew license is a seperate thing that requires special training classes, it doesn't transfer like the car license.

Yes it's true Pete you can't drive a bike on a FOREIGN license, but you can do the training and get a Brazilian motorbike license

...............................well done that man...................................

From what I Have found out, A foreigner can transfer a car or bike licence as long as they have the categories on their international license. Meaning categories A and B will automatically be transferred onto 1 license.
Since I did both tests in the UK and I am allowed to drive a car and a bike I am entitled to do both in Brazil.
Detran will issue the license to me now I have been there several times to inform them of the missing category on my Brazilian license.
If you haven't got a motorbike category then it's not possible to transfer, but I do.

Hi there well done, and thanks for the Info, i have everything and will now go and change me english one for the Brazilian on
Kind regars Peter

correct you have to have crazy classes, so you can ride like some sort possessed animal

Two questions:
1- Are you nuts, driving a bike in Brazil?
2- Why are you surprised by the public services inefficiencies here?