Drivers license in Mexico

Hi there everyone, having moved down to Baja from San Diego (retired) living here on tourist visa (6 months type) permanently and no longer having an address of residence in California, am worried about what my options are to have a drivers license. Due to my ineligibility to meet the Permanent and Temporary visa requirements for financial reasons I have been told that I can't apply for a Mexican driver license. Looking for suggestions, thank you.

California will issue you a DL with an out of state address, not sure about out of country.  You could get a PO Box in San Diego for a month, get the CA DL, and then close the PO Box if they won't give you one with a Baja address.

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I have a couple of friends that just arrived in Mexico on tourist visas and they have got their Mexican driver's licence.  In Mexico there is always a way - post out on Facebook in a group in your area and find someone who rents and sells cars and they will likely be able to get the driver's license for you or simply post an ask for someone who is a facilitator for the driver's license process and they will go with you and walk through the process for you for a fee

good luck and welcome

rpattyn wrote:

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I have a couple of friends that just arrived in Mexico on tourist visas and they have got their Mexican driver's licence.  In Mexico there is always a way - post out on Facebook in a group in your area and find someone who rents and sells cars and they will likely be able to get the driver's license for you or simply post an ask for someone who is a facilitator for the driver's license process and they will go with you and walk through the process for you for a fee

good luck and welcome

"a facilitator for the driver's license", really patty ?

I have lived here for going on 7 years and never heard of that. I have heard of many special deals that can be obtained by anyone for anything though. I would recommend following the rules, the Mexican driver's license is not complicated. And the original question seemed more about US licenses.

Special deals can turn out to be not so special.

I am living in Mexico as we speak (Monterrey NL) but am 42 and never learned how to drive.  What about learning to drice in Mexico as a primary English speaker.

alexander0 wrote:

I am living in Mexico as we speak (Monterrey NL) but am 42 and never learned how to drive.  What about learning to drice in Mexico as a primary English speaker.

That's a good question, Alexander. I will see what I can find out, but my first reaction is alarm and concern.  Mexico is not an easy place to drive. If it were me I would be learning somewhere else like a small town in the U.S.
https://www.mexperience.com/lifestyle/t … in-mexico/https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=drivin … ty%2C+CDMXhttps://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-mex … story.html

This article sort of fits what I know. Yes, driving can be scary and motorcycles don't seem to require a license. It's often the wild west of driving. I'm not saying don't drive, but be sure you can really drive and it is so automatic that your total focus is on driving and avoiding problems.
Then remember there are buses taxies and uber to help you get around.

Buena Suerte or good luck

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please use only English on the anglophone forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
jamesr3939 wrote:

California will issue you a DL with an out of state address, not sure about out of country.  You could get a PO Box in San Diego for a month, get the CA DL, and then close the PO Box if they won't give you one with a Baja address.

DMV California requires a physical address in  California and not a PO box because the USPS flags all commercial PO box facilites and DMV is notified. Drivers licenses and car registration is impossible there unless you have a house or apartment address in the state. I lived there and have a PO box there and had to sell my car and cannot renew my Ca. drivers licence.

you are right alleycat 1

Calif. DMV has always been pretty strict about that, My son who works as a cop there says you have 3 months to get Calif plates and have a fixed address, You live there, or you are a tourist driving through period!.

WOW, thank you!
I am moving from Hawaii where renewing an expired DL is like going to jail.