Deciding on the right city for me

I plan on visiting Mexico in the spring. I'm a single woman of retirement age. I want to befriend Mexicans  and enjoy the culture but would like to get to know some expats who would be able to make suggestions and offer advice.

I spent a couple of weeks once in Oaxaca and loved it but I wonder what it is like as a permanent home. I also spent a couple of months traveling through Mexico many years ago but had no thought of retiring there at that time.

I am also attracted to San Miguel de Allende and Ajijic. Is it easy to keep a car in these cities? I lived in Brazil for a couple of years and speak Portuguese which makes learning Spanish much easier. I have begun studying Spanish.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

P7m:K39%bQ9a wrote:

I plan on visiting Mexico in the spring. I'm a single woman of retirement age. I want to befriend Mexicans  and enjoy the culture but would like to get to know some expats who would be able to make suggestions and offer advice.

I spent a couple of weeks once in Oaxaca and loved it but I wonder what it is like as a permanent home. I also spent a couple of months traveling through Mexico many years ago but had no thought of retiring there at that time.

I am also attracted to San Miguel de Allende and Ajijic. Is it easy to keep a car in these cities? I lived in Brazil for a couple of years and speak Portuguese which makes learning Spanish much easier. I have begun studying Spanish.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Hi Q9A,

If I were you I would make a list of what I wanted to find, then get an idea what those places are like by looking at the basics on the internet. Perhaps another list might include what you want and need. In order to help you that information is essential. Without knowing if you are interested in beaches or less humid hot places it wouldn't be possible to advise you. Once you know what you are looking for we can try to advise you on where you might find it and what we know about that area.

Buena Suerte

read my blog.just wrote it.

It's no problem keeping a car in Ajijic but you do need to have a Temporal or Permanent Visa in order to purchase one. AND I do recommend selling your car back home and buying here as the process to import is not simple and needs to be done at the border and costs money.

I like the Lake Chapala area, & am seeking information.  I am recently retired from a major airline.
Would like to relocate within the next year. As a single female, I am looking for a small but quiet & safe location.

Here is over 70 blogs just on Lake Chapala.

You can PM me with all your questions. Happy reading!

Thank you!

Thanks you

Thanks

I'm planning to retire to SMA in two years. I recently visited and met and talked with numerous ex pats most who have been there for 18 months or more. They said that a car can be a detriment. Public transportation and taxis are widely available and inexpensive. I also believe that there are import duties for cars brought to Mexico. Many sell their cars in the US and rebuy in Mexico if they decide they need a car.

have you considered Merida area?
safest area in MX, full of history & culture as well very affordable with beaches close

Thank you, I will definitely consider it.
The Lake Chapala area is getting too expensive.
Appreciate your suggestion!