Scam Videos

Hey, my husband and I are from Biloxi, Ms and looking at possibly retiring to DR. We have been a few times but never out of the resort areas. I have been doing lots of research. Today I watched a utube video by Mr. T talking about all of the scams. This is concerning to me and maybe someone can point me in the right direction or tell me that the DR isn't for us. My husband will be retiring from a stressful job as a firefighter where he's spent the last 20 years seeing the worst of the worst traumatic injuries and fitalities. We are looking for a laid back beach that's quiet but has a some places to eat and drink with locals and expats. We don't want to be in a large tourist or high traffic area nor do we want people constantly trying to scam or hussle us. We know some Spanish and have both just started really focusing on learning more.  So basically on less than $2500 per month, we want a quiet beach that we can walk to with some bars/restaraunts and some expats or can someone point me in the right direction on a place to try first. There's so many different opinions on the same place that I'm getting confused. Thank you!!

Welcome to the forums. First oftentimes those videos are meant to get views not to we'll educate people.  I have no issues at all because I have learned to say no in a way they respect.

Start reading threads and asking questions. Maybe Las Terrenas is a good place for you!

Planner is correct. Some people use scare or "Expose" tactics to gain viewers. Once to have enough viewers you begin to make money for each view. Some get rich! One local Toober charges $300 USd to feature a place plus can make money on the pop up ads. It can be very lucrative. Normal common sense will keep you out of the scammers hands. The Sosua/Cabarete are is famous, but don't let that throw you off your stride. Great beach with many shops, bars & restaurants. The town is small & hospitable. Great quiet areas & the the countryside is beautiful. Other good places on the North shore exist too.  Las Terrenas is a bit pricey compared to say, Cabrera or Rio San Juan or even the Sabaneta area.  Take your time & explore the options that are here on the North shore.  Read as many of the threads as possible as they contain answers to just about any question you may have. Many thanks for your husband giving to the community.  Welcome to the island & to the forum.  Keep asking & you shall receive.

Hello Robincolebosarge,

Your thread has been moved to the Dominican Republic forum.

So have you decided where you would retire, will it be in Dominican Republic?

We would love to hear about your future plans and if you are still wiling to move there.

Alexia
Expat.com Team

Don't let Mr. T's videos scare you. He has some optimistic ones too! 😊

And don't let others like the ones from Cerise Fairfax bore you.   A grain of salt for the most prolific is needed. Come & experience this marvelous island for yourself.

Is Mr. T the guy who says "I pity the Fool who don't  visit the DR!"?

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

It never fails to amaze me that the ones who post the most know all videos are the ones who have lived here the shortest time. And yet, they have the ability to catorgorize (sp) in depth the culture, the people & Iwhat the life here is all about.  Pontification is easy without experience.    I would prefer that they take the time to learn the ways of that old woman selling fruit & vegetables on the side of the road in some tiny hamlet in the mountains or one of the riverside towns. LOOK AT HER HANDS AS THEY ARRANGE THE FRUIT LIKE A STILL LIFE PAINTING.  (sorry for the caps, an error)  Or a comado out of  a tourist area. Buy the person behind the counter  a beer  & share a few minutes .  You won't need to speak Spanish to enjoy the smiles.  Crime, scams, whores, scams, & piss poor drivers are not the essence of life here in the DR.   But then again, calamity, scandal, warnings of dire circumstances are what attracts the viewers.  A sad testimony of society  back in the "Real World".   Now, go back & look at that old womans' hands, see them hold babies, cooking countless meals, washing & mending clothes, living a life that you will never know, unless you LOOK....LISTEN....LEARN....    Perhaps the, you will begin to understand what life is all about.

Closed