Move before 29th March?

Hi, I’ve been reading various questions and responses you’ve given for people in similar situations to ours, but have become rather confused. Could you please give me a little clarity , specific to our situation, or advise who it would be best to speak with?
We are a British national couple who currently live in France and were originally planning on moving to Cyprus sometime in the next few years to make it our tax residence for a year or so.
We have adequate annual income from a private pension, so don’t need to work but would like to be able to choose to do some work if it interests us. Our plan is to rent a place for the 12 months and only buy property if we decide to stay for the longer term.
Because of the Brexit situation, we are coming for a visit to check out likely areas to live soon, just in case we have to make our move before 29th March 2019 to ensure we beat the non-agreement deadline, which looks ever more likely.
Can you please confirm any of the following?:
- how do we demonstrate the date we began our residency...for example, if we arrive on the 28th March? Is it the day we arrive, or the day we make our application?
- Assuming we get in before the deadline, Is it the MU1 we would apply for? Is this also called the yellow slip? Is it different to the alien registration document, and, if so, do we need both?
- how we would declare our tax residency? (To demonstrate to the french tax authorities that we have left their system)
- are their any companies you may recommend who could help us with the process, bearing in mind it is likely to happen in quite a rush!
Many thanks in anticipation of your advice.

you will be deemed resident once you have your MEU1, Alien Registration Certificate commonly known as the yellow slip  - the MEU3 is the Permanent Residency certificate once you have 5 yrs legitimate residency in - the MEU1 is obligatory and a legal requirement after 90 days here.... they may mitigate it if you have made your appointment in plenty of time - note that appointments are being allocated now for January / February - the High Commission and the Cyprus government are suggesting / recommending to get your official residency before the 29th march 2019 - i would suggest you keep copies of your entry flights, car hire, initial hotel bookings or rental contracts bank statements any utility bills incurred here atm cash withdrawal slip  etc in fact anything that can prove you are living here all of the time - as that would be a good start

Citizenship here can be obtained after 7 yrs legitimate residency - it is our plan to get PR next sept and then 2 yrs later to apply for Cyprus citizenship, -

check your driving licence validity too

Currently Cyprus government have only got plans for a deal brexit - - -but  absolutely no plans (certainly havent published any) as yet for a no deal brexit so anything can happen in that scenario

it is also a legal requirement that you register for tax here too whether you pay tax or not - so thats a trip to the tax office in cyprus (the office will depend on your chosen location) where they will on completion of registration allocate you a Tax Identification Number (TIN) - as British nationals you can elect to invoke the dual taxation treaty cyprus has with the UK (€80 each) so you only get taxed once in cyprus  =- declaring all income and taking advantage of the €19500 each annual tax free allowances here)

i dont recommend any companies to do this as its easy to do it yourself  - honestly it is easy

there is a good tax advisor here called Elizabeth Welsh in Paphos  - there are others too - we used her initially and now we do our own tax returns online each year.... its now all done online from this year....its done behind though so tax yr 2018 return is to be completed between April and June 2019....when the input forms are published on the Taxisnet web site.

That’s really useful, thank you Toon.
Unfortunately, as you mentioned they are already taking appointment now for jan/feb, I can’t see us getting an appointment until after the end March, as we won’t be living there until mid-February at earliest.
It is one reason I wondered if we would be able to fast track to the appointment by using an agent. It all feels rather risky at the moment. Ideally, we would stay in France another 12 months or so, but we feel like we are having to make our move more quickly in the event of no deal, just To avoid being left in limbo!
I suppose, if we miss the deadline, we will just have to apply for an alien registration card for non-Europeans. Is that the one I’ve seen you discussing as  Category F” ?
Can you tell  me please, does this form of temporary residence require someone to buy property, or just to prove they can support themselves, if they are renting?

Non EU applicants can fast track in three ways but as with EU they involve interviews etc you need to be here and its quite clear to me there are more hoops to jump thru as a TCN... as ive witnessed this in Malta its more red tape for TCNs..and that is what UK nationals will be in the event of brexit - however nobody here knows what will be the plan for Cyprus resident brits in the event of a no deal crash and burn exit. Cyprus havent published any detail of a no deal plan just one  that involves a transition

Am sure there are agents who can help ata considerable cost but i seriously doubt if anyone would do so without you being here.

fast track 1 buying property for upto  €150k and have €30k each in  bank accounts held here

fast track 2 buying property for €300k

fast track 3 for the wealthy  buy a property for€2m and get a eu passport too

whichever way you are not allowed to work... am sure some people do though albeit under the radar....for cash

Q will your life in France be that heavily affected? Can you not continue as you are?

I think it if it was me in this position i would wait until such time as things are clearer.. just my opinion though .... maybe we will have some clarity over the next few weeks....

Thanks Toon,
Yes, I agree it is worth us waiting to see what happens in the next couple of  months.
It isn’t that our life in France is in any way an issue, of course, we could stay here, it is just that we had always had the idea that we would like to experience living in Cyprus at some point in the next few years, (and maybe elsewhere later) and are feeling we may have to move faster than planned if we’d like that dream to come true.

i understand as I too despite living in Cyprus for 4 yrs was in Malta for 6 yrs and had kinda planned or would like to try Crete at some stage but loss of FoM may  stop that from happening easily

so our plan is now PR next yr (with 5yrs in) and then 2 yrs later apply for Cyprus citizenship and get our FoM rights back with a cyprus passport.....

We went to Larnaca for a short break in late October and though we're only moving in January - i took advantage of being there to make an appointment for end of January, although the woman was reluctant to make an appointment for any time later than 15 January, so I think you're fine in terms of getting an appointment.
We do not however yet know where we'll be living and the registration process requires a rental agreement signed at the tax office, so I'm likely to have to push our appointment back a couple of weeks.

i do sometimes wonder about that = as you could be staying with family or friends until such time as you find a house.....

ReemCyprus :

We went to Larnaca for a short break in late October and though we're only moving in January - i took advantage of being there to make an appointment for end of January, although the woman was reluctant to make an appointment for any time later than 15 January, so I think you're fine in terms of getting an appointment.
We do not however yet know where we'll be living and the registration process requires a rental agreement signed at the tax office, so I'm likely to have to push our appointment back a couple of weeks.

Does anybody know what the current waiting times for appointments at the Larnaca immigration office are?