Railway between PP and Thai border [Poipet] ready

The railway link between PP and Poipet is ready. The 386 km stretch has not been functional during the last 45 years due to damages in war areas.

But it is repaired now and the first train traveled from Poipet to PP last Wednesday, July 4, 2018.

It will be a major connection between the two countries Cambodia and Thailand, saving costs and time for freight transport. Of course also passengers can benefit from the new connection.

Don't think of fast modern train travel. The average speed is 40 km/h, which makes it a 10-hour ride.

Operation of the line will be decided this week, as both countries will talk about reconstruction and expansion of railway stations, specifically the border stations.

Source: Phnom Phen Post

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ … 9-57456997

Hi JoeKhmer, :)

Thank you for posting those news on the forum.

Anas,
Expat.com Team :top:

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Thanks as always jo I personally will use this train often ,

twinsguy20 wrote:

Thanks as always jo I personally will use this train often ,

Yeah Rod, it will be a nice expansion of travel possibilities. And if they, like on the other route PP - SHV put in air-conditioned wagons and sell beverages and snacks, it might be a wonderful quiet trip which shows a lot of the beautiful country.

Cheers.

Joe

Good to hear it is starting to run. Certainly has an allure about it. the ac/ beverage would help it in comfort without getting too crazy.
Sign me up!!
Hopefully, they will allow my little Charlie on, he's an 8 kg dog. Haven't come up with a good disguise for him yet....open to suggestions :)

Sakuralin wrote:

Good to hear it is starting to run. Certainly has an allure about it. the ac/ beverage would help it in comfort without getting too crazy.
Sign me up!!
Hopefully, they will allow my little Charlie on, he's an 8 kg dog. Haven't come up with a good disguise for him yet....open to suggestions :)

Sakuralin, of course I have a solution for your dog, although I don't think it would be a problem to take him into the train. Just let him do his needs during a stop, as ten hours is a long time for a dog.

Here the solution, in NYC it's not allowed to take dogs into the subway, unless in a bag...

https://www.google.com/search?q=dogs+in … mp;bih=581

Have fun!

Joe

Ah Joe, you are always up on solutions!! Thanks a lot. I do feel better.  I do have a bag, so will just bag the little dude at least to get on...lol.....   the link brought lots of laughs too, great to see all the innovations! Cheers... :P

Sakuralin wrote:

Ah Joe, you are always up on solutions!! Thanks a lot. I do feel better.  I do have a bag, so will just bag the little dude at least to get on...lol.....   the link brought lots of laughs too, great to see all the innovations! Cheers... :P

People are creative to find solutions. I loved the pic of the guy with the 25 kg Husky in a bag, superb.

Cheers.

Joe

lol...can you imagine the weight of carrying it...but ya, I cracked up at that one too. And the IKEA bags, that was great. they are strong.                                                                               Also, I find that here in Cambodia is the perfect place for practicing creativity in the pursuit of finding solutions on a daily basis         :top:  Cheers, S

I'm fairly sure the train I saw at Battambang on July 18th was the Poipet - PP train.
It was a 1994 Czech Republic diesel locomotive, the train was mostly freight except the last two carriages that were passenger.  They were slightly different to other passenger carriages in that the bench seating was along the windows for the length of the carriage & the middle of the carriage was void of seating.

This maybe due to the locals that were using the service as they were carrying a vast quantity of big boxes of goods (maybe for market stalls in PP or along the way).  People would sit along the bench seats against the window & their goods were in front of them in the middle of the carriage.

Seems till next year it may also be free of charge including the new ferry according to the PPP
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ … ift-nation

Yes Rainman, that was announced by the PM after the elections.

Both boat ferry and new railway PP tp Poipet are free of charge until Dec 31 this year.

Cheers.

Joe

Hi Ackshon.

The carriages are the same that are used on the PP to Sihanoukville trains.

People sit next to each other and can put bags with rice or other large items in the middle.

Note that this only goes for on AC carriages, the AC carriages have normal seating of two two-seaters opposite each other.

Cheers.

Joe