How is your experience with the Dutch 1 year temporary contract?

Hi all,

I am about to receive an offer of employment for a position in the Netherlands within my company. During the interview stage I expressed concern about the one year contract, in the sense that it doesn't provide any long term security etc...The HR manager understood my concern and said she will see what they can do.

I understand that normally you start with a one year contract, followed by another year, and then onto a permanent contract.

I am worried that I won't get a permanent contract after two years, or even renewal after one year. Coming from Australia it is a long way to go through all this hassle.

Just wanted to see what other expats have experienced with this system?

Many thanks

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You need to understand that ALL work-based visas are by nature temporary; no country will guarantee you "permanent residence" at that stage; many countries require you to work for up to 5 years before even allowing you to apply to remain.  Some work-based visas for highly-skilled applicants are a bit more flexible (i.e. could be for longer), but all remain temporary as a starting point.

Working contracts have evolved to reflect this and unfortunately, what you've described is pretty much standard in Holland.  It's what has evolved as a result of what was very protective legislation for the employee and how employers now protect themselves from the financial repercussions they could face if they needed to dismiss a worker who just wasn't up to the job.  My daughter faced the same issue when she returned to Holland (and she has a Dutch passport!); it took her 3 attempts to get that elusive permanent contract.

It's one the questions you have to face up to when you consider the pro's and con's of emigrating to another country; one day, unless you have the right to remain in that country, you may have to come back to your home country.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks for your reply.

I'm wondering what would be the likelihood of my employer offering me a permanent contract after 2 years? I won't be a Permanent Resident by then, as I understand it takes 5 years before you can apply.

I'm 30 years old and at this point I want some stability in my life. A place where I can potentially buy a house and live long term.

Depends I guess; how unique are your skills; could they be outsourced to a cheaper supplier.  What chance your department or even company is going to be around in 5 years.  If you really want stability etc, then this may not be the best choice; if it's for adventure and you can start again if things don't work out, then go for it.

I'm very confident the company will still be there in 5 years, it is a large multinational with approximately 130,000 employees. I currently work in the Australian branch in the same business unit.

I think I will try to negotiate for a permanent contract, which is what I have now in Australia.

The job advert in the Netherlands for this role says it is "Regular/Permanent".