Temporarily bring UK car to Netherlands

Hey, I've been living in Rotterdam for 9 months now, I own a car in the U.K. (2 years old more than 6k) miles and I want to bring to to the Netherlands for no more than 90 days over the summer before it's lease ends, so I can enjoy it before I hand it back and go back to my bike.

My question is, do I have to import it? I'm hoping not - as it's literally for a temporarily stay, and I can prove that with return ferry tickets etc.

Does anyone have any experience with this? There's lots of information on importing a car, but not so much on temporary use of one.

Any advice would be great before I book any ferry tickets!

- Connor

Hi Connor and welcome to the Forum.

What you're asking is covered by EU regulations and it all depends on where you live; this link will take you to the website that can help answer your question.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you Cynic :)

I called the belastingsdiesnt who proceeded to confuse the hell out of me, and list four-five different forms I must fill out (I never thought I'd say I miss the UK's tax system, but I do) essentially saying:

1) I have to pay road tax
2) I have to at least pay BPM for the period the car is in the Netherlands
3) I can possibly claim it back as removal costs

Essentially I'm considering just leaving it in the UK as I really do not want to play games with the Dutch tax authorities for the sake of 90 days.

LOL - welkom in Nederland.

It really is a lot of hassle; I didn't mention the Insurance crap you'd go through (only because you didn't ask though).

I agree with your decision. :)

I was wondering about insurance because I know how much fun it is to ensure a right-hand vehicle in the UK, so I can imagine it's just as fun in the Netherlands. I think after the aangifte forms (I've never felt more punished for paying too much tax) I'll try and avoid the Dutch tax authorities as much as possible and doe even normaal.

Luckily my lease ends in December, so after a year of shoveling money into a fire, I can finally be free of the burden and move onto my next dutch challenge: the hypotheek D:

However, for anyone who stumbles across this unsure if they want to bring their car over or not: only if you intend to keep it for a heck of a long time, and don't mind a lot of hassle.

Some UK classic cars are quite attractive to the Dutch collector.

Insurance rules are also an EU bureaucracy; the rules were really written for cross-border workers, for example, a German living in Germany, on the Dutch border and works across in Holland.  They don't really suit the UK as commuting between the UK and any EU country (unless they live on the channel tunnel train line), is a bit of a slog; except for Ireland of course.