CJIB fines HELP need it

Hello everyone,

I received multiple fines for the same traffic violation, the total amount is around 600euro, according to CJIB(ministry of justice) website is possible to appeal. So my question is basically what should i include in the appeal backing up my claim for reduction of the amount? Anyone who have done similar procedure in the past or have some basic knowledge of how dutch law works in these cases ? Your knowledge and suggestions will be more than valuable.

thank you

Welcome on board  :cheers:

Wish you good luck with the appeal as it is very hard to get you right.
You violate a rule one time or several times?
And if its one time you get several fines for the same violation?

I ask you because there is a huge difference.
If you violate multiple times the same rule than is nothing you can do about then to pay the fines. But the most important thing is to respect the rule and think again if its worth to pay the fine next time if you want to  overrule.

If its the other option and you can prove it than maybe you have a chance.

Hey Primadonna

Thank you for your response.

Well i was not aware that blue plate scooters are not allowed to go through bicycle lane at Rijksmuseum (Amsterdam), so i passed couple times, sometimes 2 times a day. Therefore  i got fines for the same violation several times. The issue  i want to show is that acted recklessly because i did't know the specific prohibition, why someone do repeatedly the same violation? Do you get my point? Further do you think its better to find someone to translate my appeal from english to dutch and then send it?

Hi Christopher,

Look at: (sorry it's in Dutch)
http://rechtenforum.nl/forum/thread/tit … ertopic/1/

You are definitely not the only one (even the Dutchies are doing it wrong by coincidence)!

Bottom line of this article: the signing is placed on a very questionable part of the road which leads to think you are doing right....but in fact it's not.

I can help you to translate this article and I think there are some valuable reasons being given how and why to appeal.

Also look into this article:
http://www.parool.nl/binnenland/al-17-0 … ~a4308991/

Here in it says the judge usually still make you pay BUT you can carry on by saying: I am not Dutch, I had NO intention to break the law, I wouldn't have made multiple the same mistake.

You can try by saying you're relative new in the Netherlands and don't know all the rules yet!

But... I can't imagine that you get several fines for the same violation on one day in your mailbox.
Meaning that after your first fine, you already knew what you've had done wrong.
Or am I wrong?

As far as the appeal goes,  you can both ways. I think I should go for the English language as to stress out that you're new in the country.

Thank Eun, I'll have a look

The issue is that all violations occurred within 3 days and thats why all fines came together in the post.

Hi  Christopher,

I've just checked the photo's of the signs that the Gemeente have put up at the entrance to the tunnel; unfortunately they are quite clear in stating "snorfietsers verboden" - if you have a blue-plate on your scooter, then you're classed as one of those who can't use it.

My advice is to contact the authority (in English) and plead ignorance; i.e. only just arrived in Holland; don't understand Dutch yet (but you are learning), so didn't understand the sign; limited money so a financial hardship; then offer to pay one of the fines, but ask them to set aside the rest as a gesture of goodwill and you promise not to do it again.

As they say in Dutch, you have no, you may get yes.

Best of luck. :)

Hey Cynic,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunatly i don't know any dutch :( . A friend of mine offered to translate the appeal in Dutch, do you think this is a good idea? might give more consideration?

christopherNL wrote:

Hey Cynic,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunatly i don't know any dutch :( . A friend of mine offered to translate the appeal in Dutch, do you think this is a good idea? might give more consideration?

No, as I stated earlier, you can do both ways but in your situation is best to do in English.
Cynic and I explained why.

Good luck!

christopherNL wrote:

Hey Cynic,

Hi,

As you've found out; ignorance of a language does not exempt you from following the law; you wait till you get caught speeding and can't pay the spot-fine and they take your scooter away from you until you pay up (plus storage charges); if you're lucky, the policeman will give you a lift to the next bus-stop!  While we're on the subject, I assume you know you have to give way to traffic from the right and bikes always have priority on a roundabout.

All you can do is try and mitigate the costs; my advice is to write it in English and play on your ignorance of the language and ask for some leniency due to your mitigating circumstances.  Then explain you're a Greek visitor to Holland, have only lived here for XXXXX weeks, who has a completely different alphabet (for example the Greek word for a bromfiets is "μοτοποδήλατο" which looks nothing like the Dutch word) and English is your 2nd language and you just couldn't understand the sign, saw others going through, so thought it was OK; are very sorry and won't do it again.

Best of luck. :)