Dating a Jordanian man

I'm from a very small town in Alabama...maybe 200 people/1light and it's a caution light/everyone knows everyone...so I guess u could say I've been a bit sheltered. About 2 months ago I came to Chicago and met a Jordanian man. I absolutely love being around this guy and we feel so comfortable with each other. But there are a few things that has me a bit worried.
1. He likes to always have my ID/Drivers license on him....like even when he leaves the house without me.
2. He does not like being ignored!
3. He is extremely intense....which is not always bad 😉
4. I planned on staying only a few weeks here in Chicago and everytime we talk about me going home he always says next weekend. Ive now been here 2 months.
So my question is...should i be worried? This all is new to me and everything here is so different than what im use to. I do love it here and i love being around him but something feels off. Is any of this normal?
*also he already has a visa

You have to be careful.

Why? What are some signs I should look for? What are things that happen in my kind of situation? Sorry for all the questions

There is one big red sign here and that he's having your ID and driving license.

I thought it was odd definitely but didn't think anything of it since I'm an American living in the states. I didn't think he could really do much with it here could he?  Any info pertaining to the difference in culture is greatly appreciated.

The question is why he wants to carry with him? It's not his and he has no right to keep it with him. Is he afraid that you would go?
After all he said many times that you are going to plan "next weekend " your journey back home....

I asked him why and he got a bit defensive. He said he didn't want me to lose it. Strange answer to me 😒

It is a strange answer as he apparently thinks you can't take care of yourself.
Now it is your ID and driving license, what will be next?

Hi
I'm lebanese so arab & living in Amman. I know how the jordanian mentality works... I think.
Here are few advices:

1/ a jordanian that's been living in the US is still a jordanian. Same as an american living in Amman will always think like an american. His culture is totally different then yours & don't dream about changing anything about it.

2/ i hate to bring it to you this way but... if he is a muslim he will always look at women as "inferior". For him a woman is basically good for the kitchen & bed, eventually for taking care of children. What goes beyond that is seen as challenge & a potential threat (arab men are not used to compete with women in general)

3/ If a woman has her own mindset liberated with a job & an income, in other words independant he will feel deeply insecure but will try his best to hide it. But if you are clever enough you will read the signs & some of them already manifested themselves. These factors in his mindset irritate his manhood.

4/ you might be looking at him as an equal to you but be sure this is not reciprocated ... & will never be.

NB: not all jordanian or arab men are like this but only most of them so... good luck.

So far everything is going great but we have only been dating for a couple months. I do see a few minor things that conflict but we both have an open mind and usually talk through any differences. I love your post. It is very informative and helpful.
One extra question: I noticed when we go out (even in a gas station) and another guy is near he gets affectionate/holding on to me like I may run off 😂. Is this just him or do Jordanian men get kindof possessive?

tiffanymed3 wrote:

Is this just him or do Jordanian men get kindof possessive?

Nope, the Arabic men has an exclusive license to be possessive  :D

Well....I like it! 😍❤......for now 😂

Mmmm I am an urban western woman with a provisional Jordanian and it is quite different.
However the I.D. and Drivers Licence business sounds odd and a bit suss. Intense or domineering and possessive? Does not like being ignored, how does this manifest - moody and childish. Not that you mention it but intimacy. If he is Muslim read up on the potential for a real future together if you are already sexually intimate. It is tricky territory to navigate. Educate yourself on culture and religious expectation. Trust your gut - does this really feel right to you. You have connected with this forum so that maybe goes part way to answering your post. If it feels wrong then don't.

Good luck.
SON

Hello

Most important question for now is what type of visa do he have?

I am a Jordanian lived in Maryland, all you said it could fits on any autism person not just this guy. All you need to do, is taking you ID from him and leave without making any troubles.

Just as in every other nationality there are good and bad individuals but there is a cultural divide . Shacking up with someone you barely know is common, desirable and acceptable in the west. In Jordan non of the above is acceptable to the majority of Jordanians. Ask about how does his entourage at home view your relationship as it stands. If He does not like being ignored! to me this translates possessiveness! acceptable in Alabama ???
You need to know exactly why your IDs are being held. I see no normality or justification.
Transient pleasantness  could be just that, Transient and quickly forgotten. Make sure you ain't or will be a number 2, 3 or 4
best of luck
ks

ohh it looks kind of oppressing man, me and my fiancée been together 3 years this January we got engaged and in the summer is our wedding. Me and him we always respect our privacy, and he always likes to see me visiting my parents in another country. And also he is educated and he doesn't go low in any mean like restricting my life as he doesn't like me to that to him.
This guys from my opinion seems to oppressing and am just concerned not to get further to another step worst, so u should discuss everything with him what u like and u dont