UK Citizen Obtaining Ukrainian Visitor Visa

I have just returned from Ukraine, after being refused entry. I thought I understood the 90/180 day rule, however there was a part that I was not aware of.

I have carefully tracked my visits and I knew that I was at the 90 day limit when I left the country. I calculated that I would need to leave for 3 weeks in order for the earliest visit to be outside of the 180 day window. I had understood that the 180 days are rolling, so they would only look at the visits within the last 180 days. However, that is not the case.

I flew to Odessa yesterday and I was refused entry. I was advised that once you have reached 90 days within a 180 day period, you must wait 90 days from the date of your last visit before you can return. Like I said, I only waited 3 weeks.

They were not awful about it and said that I would be welcome to come back after 90 days or I can get a visa and come back straight away. Actually, they said that I might be able to get one in Warsaw and return immediately.

So, now I am looking at how to apply for a Visa. Right now, I am happy with a short term visitor visa, because I am marrying my fiance in August and we can look to do something then. I am also planning to emigrate and setup a business in Ukraine soon. But, for now, I just want to be able to go to Ukraine ASAP to see my other half and daughter. It is heartbreaking, not being able to see them.

I have done some research and I think the best type would be a Visitor (General/Friends) Visa. I'd need to get a letter of invitation from my fiance and explain that I wish to visit Ukraine to make plans for our wedding, meet family and friends and do some sightseeing. I believe this would need to be notarised by a Ukrainian official.

I'd like to know if there is anyone from England who has applied for a Ukrainian visa, what their experience was, any advice that they can give. Also, is the decision made immediately, or do you need to wait after the interview? I am looking to complete this at the Ukrainian Embassy in London, as I am back in England now.

I overstayed last year and payed the fine at Kiev Airport (having nearly missed the flight to queue at the bank). I thought too, that I could return in a few weeks and just stay the allowed number of days. However, the Ukrainian Embassy in London told me to stay away for at least 90 days. I decided to stick by the advice given and will not go back till mid March. However, I will keep an eye on the 90/180 day rule in future. I haven't considered trying for a visa as I wanted a long term visa which needed a better reason to stay than just visiting friends.

Hey Simon good luck with this but when i had the same situation in over staying i went to the Ukr Embassy in London who advised that they wouldnot give me a visa as i had overstayed and would have to wait 90 days in order to come back. Guess no harm in trying but they are not very friendly there and i would not hold my hopes up high. Maybe try through Poland as UK staff are very unhelpful. Good luck - Sandy

Thanks for your comments...

I have done some more research on this and I believe that I have found another solution; which I have been advised is the most likely of success.

I am setting up a company in Ukraine and making an investment in the local economy. I already have a UK business, so this is an extention/emigration of my business. Ultimately, I plan to live in Ukraine and work in/from Ukraine. My business is IT Consultancy which takes me to various countries around the world. So, in the long run, I'll base myself from Nikolaev and work around Ukraine and the rest of the world.

I am advised that, with the creation of a company and a financial investment, I can apply for a work permit and a visa based on my requirements to work in Ukraine, for a Ukrainian company.

I am in the early stages at the moment and have recently obtained a notorised and apostillised Power of Attorney and copy of my Passport. These are on their way to Kiev now, in order to setup the company. I will keep this post updated with my progress...

I am a UK man married to a Ukraine lady.

The 90/180 day rule is very clear, once you have completed your 90 days and left the Ukraine, you cannot return under this type of visa until you have stayed away for a minimum period of 90 consecutive days.

If you decide to marry in the Ukraine you will need a valid Visa D, this lasts for 45 days and it starts the day the Embassy stamps it.  In this time you must register with the Ovia for marriage, have all the papers they say you need and they will tell you when you can get married in the next 30 days, although in Kiev, Odessa and Muriopal you can marry in a lot shorter time.

I say you get the papers that the Ovia say you need as it looks to me that different places want different papers, I am in the Donbass and I have been here for nearly three years and I still only have  temp res visa, because my Immigration's office in Kramatosk keep changing the rules although Central Immigration in Kiev say different.

Once you get your Visa D, it lasts for 45 days so register it straight away, DO NOT WAIT, once registered you still only have up to the 90th day to get it all sorted ie, married or you will need to leave the country.  Once married, you will be issued with a Temp Res Visa for the next two years before you can apply for Full Res.

Hope this helps.

Trev

I am also married to a Ukrainian lady and did not have a type D visa but came on a standard Tourist visa. We married in Kyiv within 3 days of applying with relevant papers without any hitches. So if you plan to marry do this in Kyiv where it is very simple. I got my residency because we have a daughter born here so cannot advise on the Residency Permit bit.

Hi Simon, just seen your question regarding a Ukrainian visa. I married my Ukrainian wife in February this year. I am currently in Ivano Frankivsk and my 90 days are nearly up. I am having to go to Lublin in Poland to obtain my visa. You have to complete the online form and then go to the consulate of you choice. Here is the shock, for a UK citizen to obtain a Ukraine visa for family, it will cost you $1,850 USD. I know it is a a rip off, but there is no other way, unless you can get a student visa. The waiting time is about 5 working days, there is no interview to be done. Trust that this is of help to you.  Good luck Jon

trevor53 wrote:

The 90/180 day rule is very clear, once you have completed your 90 days and left the Ukraine, you cannot return under this type of visa until you have stayed away for a minimum period of 90 consecutive days.

I don't fully agree that it is "very clear". If you read the official UK Government website, it states "British citizens are allowed to enter Ukraine without a visa for visits of up to 90 days within a 180 day period". It does not say anything about staying away. In my case, I had multiple entries during a 180 day period, not just 1x 90 day trip. My total days in Ukraine during the last 180 days is current 34, however I cannot re-enter Ukraine for another 4 weeks. This is the official word from Immigration in Odessa.

Thanks for everyone else's comments too.

I am pleased to say that I am now making progress with this. It takes a while and it is worthwhile consulting with someone in Ukraine who understands all the legal sides. I have started a company with my partner and today I obtained my work permit. This means that I will be able to legally work in Ukraine. It also means that I can apply for a Type D visa. I need to find a basic level of insurance to cover me for my visa application, and then make my appointment with the consultate in London.

I will keep you posted!

You can get your insurance (medical) in Ukraine that's what I did for the second time and it cost me 1,200 Grh.

Regarding your 90/180 days, it does not matter what the UK gov says, it's what the Ukraine gov says, and you will find out I am sure that things don't go as they are supposed to.  One thing you must remember, you need to carry your work / entry visa with you at all times when your out and about, just in case you are stopped by the Police.

Good luck.

Trevor

Hi Simon

several things that may help you.
if you are desperate to come back into Ukraine, contact the Ukrainian consulate in London. explain what you said above and they will issue a temporary entry visa at a cost.
Medical insurance can be bought in Ukraine but for your visa D The embassy will ask to see it, and it must cover 30,000 Euros, as above its about 1300 grivna. You will also need this Insurance to apply for your residence visa. and just to put it into context, your visa D only permits you stay 90 days from the visa D start date, you must still apply for temporary residency so you may travel in and out as you please or just stay in country, with or without your own business and tax code.
There is one exception to this and that is donate 100,000 dollars to the Ukrainian government.
All information is based on myself as i live in the Ukraine and am from England.
Hope this helps

Martin

Good insurance is Backpacker travel insurance

forgot to say sorry

martin

Simon the price as they say is right but soon to go up in April some time

Simon, as I said to you in my post the same as Martin.  If you want to chat and your in the Ukraine give me a call.  I would not wish the garbage I went through to my worst enemy.

If you want to chat +380 66 244 7922 Trevor.

re trevor53 post.
the Rules for Temporary residency and the like has changed as of last year and as of January this year.
You can Marry on a 90 day visitors visa providing you have all your paperwork done in Advance.
I see your near Odessa so i would advice you take all you documents when ready to the Ovir opposite the Odessa Opera house, The girls in there are fab. (Mondays normally closed) they will arrange all and normally takes 7 days. Costs are around 1500 grivna  pay over the road, the place is lovely, i mean it really is lovely and if you use the girl who has a card in Ovir for your photos you will get tons of good photos for very very little money, less than £30.00 all in.
You can then apply for your Visa D. At the Moment its £1464.00 but is due to go up in April this Year. You should have no problems getting that visa but remember you will require a copy of your wives passport ( There id card) this must be Notarised in the Ukraine.
Then as above you have 90 days to obtain your temporary Residency (which can be extended if theirs complications .) this will only last 12 months, you then need to apply again on the 10th or 11th month for an extension for another 12 months at the 11th month of this visa you apply for full residency which is a 1 day formality .

hope this helps

martin

Hi trev

sounds like you got it ruff, I was very very lucky, my wife did all the leg work here and it was a breeze, but we have friends who have payed very big money for nothing,

martin

Martin you don't know the half of it, I am still on my two year temp visa after being married for 7 years and I have just been given my third temp visa.  As I said to Simon, depends on what area your in and if the local immigration office know there job.

Trev

Sh t wow i feel for you there. Something not wright ah. ever thought of going to the office near Opera house in Odessa. There very fast less than 10 days. I was told I will get automation residency after my 2nd year of marriage.

I have just obtained my D visa of $1,850 USD, for 90 days, from the Ukrainian consulate in Lublin Poland. I am now in the process of completing my 12 month residency, and have been advised that there will be no problem with this. Just getting my documentation together to take to immigration after Easter. I live in Ivano Frankivsk and had no problems at this end of the country.

Jon